The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:16 pm 

This coming March will be the 29th marathon in our Ohio SciFi marathon series going all the way back to the "It Came from the Drexel North marathons to our current version (I know that I am overlooking the vagaries of our time traveling involving the 13th, 14th, 16th and 22nd marathons). I was thinking that next years marathon (2017) should be something special to celebrate 30 incredible years of science fiction movie marathons we have had in Columbus. I had a couple of ideas that could make it something to remember:

1. Have the 30th marathon go for 36 hours! - start the marathon at midnight on Friday for the truly hard core marathon participants then have a different ticket for those who want to only start at the normal noon on Saturday.

2. Let us vote this year for our favorite 4-6 movies that have shown at the marathon over the years. Everyone picks their top so many and the top 4-6 vote getters are shown at next years marathon. Would be perfect for the extra 12 hours/ 6 movies!

3. Also let us vote on 2-3 movies that have never shown but we would love to see at the marathon. ( I know that the Jason x contingent would love this idea) pick two or three of the top vote getters for the marathon.

4. Finally we need a guest! I know it is hard to find people but surely someone interesting would be available. Some ideas: Peter Weller ( robocop/ buckaroo bonzai), Linda Hamilton ( terminator 1&2), Michael Biehn (Terminator/Aliens).

Just some thoughts that I had about this years and next since any prep for 2017 would start at this spring's marathon. Let the discussion begin!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:57 pm 

All of those are good ideas, though I've never been terribly sold on the profit potential of bringing in guests. And the recent podcasts continue to make it sound like a shaky proposition.

That said, I'm still working on bringing new folks to this year's marathon. Selling the dang thing out is what would make it feel like a true celebration.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:48 am 

Great Idea Murph, i would be all for a 36 hour mega-marathon to celebrate the 30th Anniversary.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:26 am 

Good idea, Murph... however...

I believe THIS year is actually the 30th scifi marathon (again, overlooking the time-traveling stuff).

The first one was in 1987, so the 10th was in '96, 20th in 2006, and 30th... that's right - this year!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:45 pm 

scottcoz wrote:

I believe THIS year is actually the 30th scifi marathon (again, overlooking the time-traveling stuff).

The first one was in 1987, so the 10th was in '96, 20th in 2006, and 30th... that's right - this year!

The year at the Continent doesn't count. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:33 pm 

Ghost wrote:
scottcoz wrote:

Since that was the year that introduced the time-travel madness, I'd be happy with not counting that one, too!

But, then, on the other hand, that was an AWESOME line-up that year - so, difficult to ignore that one. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:44 pm 

scottcoz wrote:
Ghost wrote:
scottcoz wrote:

Since that was the year that introduced the time-travel madness, I'd be happy with not counting that one, too!

But, then, on the other hand, that was an AWESOME line-up that year - so, difficult to ignore that one. :)

Weird numberings and time shifting aside, this year will be the 29th canonical Science Fiction Marathon in Ohio because there was no Marathon in the year 2001...ironically.
So no matter what they end up calling it, 2017 will officially be the 30 year anniversary of the Ohio Science Fiction Marathon.
And the 40th Anniversary of the release of Star Wars, which means I feel super old.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:59 pm 

I am pretty sure that this year is the 29th overall. The first 9 were at the Drexel North, 1 at the Continent (#17), 2 at the Drexel Grandview (#15 and 18), 2 at the Gateway (23 and 24), 3 at the Capitol Theatre (#10-12), 3 at the Arena Grand (#19-21) and the last 8 at the Drexel in Bexley (#25-32). I left out #13,14,16, and 22 because of time travel. 9+1+2+2+3+3+8=28. That means that this year is #29. The only thing I didn't count was The ThingThat Ate Pickerington since it happened at the same time as the regular marathon. Just looked up each event on the Hall of Marathonia.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:20 pm 
Site Admin

murph wrote:
I am pretty sure that this year is the 29th overall. The first 9 were at the Drexel North, 1 at the Continent (#17), 2 at the Drexel Grandview (#15 and 18), 2 at the Gateway (23 and 24), 3 at the Capitol Theatre (#10-12), 3 at the Arena Grand (#19-21) and the last 8 at the Drexel in Bexley (#25-32). I left out #13,14,16, and 22 because of time travel. 9+1+2+2+3+3+8=28. That means that this year is #29. The only thing I didn't count was The ThingThat Ate Pickerington since it happened at the same time as the regular marathon. Just looked up each event on the Hall of Marathonia.

Depends on whether or not you count the Trailerthon (18 1/2) which is not represented on Marathonia.

There are all sorts of ways you could manage to count it. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:31 pm 

IamJacksUserID wrote:
Weird numberings and time shifting aside, this year will be the 29th canonical Science Fiction Marathon in Ohio because there was no Marathon in the year 2001...ironically.
So no matter what they end up calling it, 2017 will officially be the 30 year anniversary of the Ohio Science Fiction Marathon.
And the 40th Anniversary of the release of Star Wars, which means I feel super old.

What? There was a year skipped? Holy cow - I totally forgot that!

Heh - well, the bright side of that is that it means I missed one LESS marathon during the years I lived in Chicago, than I thought I had! :)

Anyway, thanks for the correction, Dale!

Let the planning for the 30th year continue!

I always thought Logan's Run should show at the 30th marathon - you know, so it can RENEW! :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:44 pm 

And, oh yea, not just SHOW Logan's Run, but also go all out making it one of the central themes for decorating that year....

Ankh's and lifeclocks all over the place, staff dressed up as Sandmen, and, of course....
Giant hand sculpture with palm crystal in the lobby:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:31 pm 

murph wrote:

3. Also let us vote on 2-3 movies that have never shown but we would love to see at the marathon. ( I know that the Jason x contingent would love this idea) pick two or three of the top vote getters for the marathon.

Since JASON X is showing this year there won't be a need to showing again next year.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:12 pm 

Shouldn't be too long before the first few movie title for this year are released! Is this hopeful suggestion or insider information? Never seen Jason X, might be good fodder for late night marathon crowd.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:20 am 

murph wrote:
Never seen Jason X, might be good fodder for late night marathon crowd.

"Guys... it's ok, he just wanted his machete back." One of the best lines in movie history :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:06 am 

murph wrote:
4. Finally we need a guest! I know it is hard to find people but surely someone interesting would be available. Some ideas: Peter Weller ( robocop/ buckaroo bonzai), Linda Hamilton ( terminator 1&2), Michael Biehn (Terminator/Aliens).

While it can't hurt to check with the above, it's probably not very realistic to expect that their appearance fees are anywhere near the affordable range for us. You have to remember, we don't have this event in an 800 seat theater anymore, and so spending $10,000 on a guest is simply not possible - the Drexel would lose a ton of money, even if they sold out.

I prefer to suggest guests that are more likely to be financially feasible, in the hopes that we might actually be able to get one again someday! Perhaps there are people who might make a good guest, that Bruce and co. haven't thought of yet.

For example (and, of course, continuing with the Logan's Run theme :) ), how about William F. Nolan? He famously hated the film adaptation of his novel, and enjoys speaking at length about it - it'd probably be entertaining listening to him ramble about the evils of Hollywood. He's in his 80's now, and I'm not sure what his health is like, but as recently as last July, he appeared at a screening in San Francisco for a signing and chat:
http://www.williamfnolan.com/

Or, for that matter, you might be able to get Michael York or Jenny Agutter - they're probably not in huge demand these days.