The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:36 am 

I appreciate the "warning" that part of this experience we are all super excited for is going to suck. While we are at it, why don't we also make note of the lukewarm mini-review from Boston and poor IMDB score of one of our premieres? What else can we look forward to?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:25 pm 

L.A. Connection, I pretty much agree with Joe. You're totally entitled to your opinion about THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH. You're entitled to your opinions/observations about how it went over at the Boston marathon. And you're entitled to share these opinions on this board. But presenting it as confrontationally as you did, as a "warning" to marathoners, has the tone of trying to scare people away, or badmouth the marathon or its decision to show it. I know that probably wasn't your intention, but that's how it came across to me before I read your reply to Joe, and I suspect it came across the same to others. Like so many other posts on this forum which have started heated discussion and ended up getting moved to the flamewar board, the exact same opinions could have been presented in a more measured and less confrontational tone and might have actually led to some healthy debate and discussion rather than making people mad.

Last edited by agentstinky on Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:57 pm 

agentstinky wrote:
L.A. Connection, I pretty much agree with Joe. You're totally entitled to your opinion about THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH. You're entitled to your opinions/observations about how it went over at the Boston marathon. And you're entitled to share these opinions on this board. But presenting it as confrontationally as you did, as a "warning" to marathoners, has the tone of trying to scare people away, or badmouth the marathon or its decision to show it. I know that probably wasn't your intention, but that's how it came across to me before I read your reply to Joe, and I suspect it came across the same to others. Like so many other posts on this forum which have started heated discussion and ended up getting moved to the flamewar board, the exact same opinions could have been presented in a more measured and less confrontational tone and might have actually led to some healthy debate and discussion rather than pissing people off. To quote The Big Lebowski...

And, posting THAT photo isn't increasing the "flame war" possibility? Who's really being inflammatory here?

I have already replied that it wasn't my intention. I apologize to anybody who thought it was.

Like I said, if a Marathoner (38 years; and active behind the scenes for almost that long) can't speak openly and honestly to fellow Marathoners, then all is lost.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:07 pm 

I, for one, love The Man Who Fell To Earth and am looking forward seeing it at the marathon. In fact, I'm one of the 84% (on Rotten tomatoes at least) who consider it a classic film that I've seen many times but never on the big screen. But then again, with my tiny intellect, maybe I should defer to the Great and Powerful, All Knowing LA Connection and run away screaming when it plays. But playing it in the middle of the night is the worst idea you could have. Sure some people won't like it regardless, but those who do really want to see it will end up falling asleep. Don't Look Now is a great example of this. Considered a classic by most critics and with a 94% on Rotten Tomatoes, but at 3 am the crowd couldn't stand it. Just like at the Drexel North when The Devils and Rosemary's Baby played in the 3am and 5am slots.

Yes, it's a slow movie and is defined by its art house appeal as much as it's sci-fi elements. It's challenging and definitely not for everyone and I do expect that it will be quite divisive with any audience (it'll be playing at the 14 hour Chicago sci-fi marathon in April). And I bet that a lot of people who've never seen it and are excited for it because they like the music of David Bowie, will be disappointed. But I'm also sure that some of those people who don't like it at when they first see it might not be able to get it out of their head and will return to it later in life and reevaluate it and grow an appreciation for it. That has happened to me many times over the years with some of the slower, arty films that I first see at marathons.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:21 pm 

L.A. Connection wrote:
Like I said, if a Marathoner (38 years; and active behind the scenes for almost that long) can't speak openly and honestly to fellow Marathoners, then all is lost.

I'm not sure why that gives you a free pass to throw a bomb like essentially saying "this movie is going to ruin your marathon!" without some reactions. Also I've always been curious...what exactly do you do for the Columbus marathons? As long as the board has been in existence, I don't remember you ever actually attending. Speak your mind all you want, but don't expect others to keep silent.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:04 pm 

L.A. Connection wrote:

And, posting THAT photo isn't increasing the "flame war" possibility? Who's really being inflammatory here?

Yeah, you're right, I felt bad about posting the photo later and came back to delete it, but by then there were already a few replies. I apologize.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:55 am 
Site Admin

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/science/2016/02/28/aliens-dinosaurs-and-mutants-drexel-sci-fi-marathon-has-researchers-picking-their-own-favorite-films.html

The Columbus Dispatch chimes in with a mini-profile of this humble little cinematic thing of ours. Which, amazingly, also features a rare photo of me smiling. But don't get use to it, ya mugs! The Horror Marathon is right around the corner!