The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:01 pm 

Joe Neff wrote:
Coming soon in its highly collectible, limited edition, Vulcan green, double-sided, full-strength version to finer outlets near you!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:13 pm 

Joe Neff wrote:
-A late night screening of the much-requested (at least in certain circles) FRIDAY THE 13th in space romp JASON X!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:16 pm 

Ghost wrote:
JASON X - Ok Boys and Girls here we go...I know I have been pushing for this to play for like 15 years and it's finally showing (So Howard the Duck can't be far behind) and I know there are mixed emotions about "a slasher" film playing the Sci-Fi Marathon and honestly I hope the majority of the audience has fun with it, but if you hate it please take a nap or go to the lobby but let those of us that want to see this and have been waiting many years to see it at the marathon enjoy it.
JASON X does open itself up to some snarking and at 4am we need that anyway, i'm just asking that you don't ruin it for everyone just because you don't agree with it playing the marathon.

(high fives Ghost)

Last edited by HorrorTriviaMaster on Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:41 am 

Joe Neff wrote:
Coming soon in its highly collectible, limited edition, Vulcan green, double-sided, full-strength version to finer outlets near you!

I haven't seen these arrive in my mailbox yet! :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:07 pm 
Site Admin

We're proud to announce that we've secured the MIDWEST PREMIERE of Jesse O'Brien's ARROWHEAD, the acclaimed Aussie sci-fi thriller that's been described as "an interstellar Jekyll and Hyde". ARROWHEAD was named Best Feature Film at the 2015 Sci-Fi Film Festival in Sydney, and is an official selection of the Boston Sci-Fi Film Festival. Check out the trailer at: http://tinyurl.com/zlzlddd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:16 am 

This looks awesome! Can't wait!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:29 pm 

The Marathon is a fiendish, fickle beast.

I attended last year’s horror marathon after a few years away and was very pleased with the experience. It was nice to experience it with my new girlfriend as well. My ex wife went a couple times with me back in the day, but it was never really her thing. I don’t know that my new girlfriend will ever get The Bite the way I have, but for the immediate future she is all in.
Though I enjoyed every bit of it, last fall’s Marathon really took a lot out of me. I don’t know if it was just my closer-to-50-than-40 body, combined with an emotionally draining couple of years personally, or simply the over abundance of heavy, dark films last year. But the point is, I was spent. I didn’t even post a review when I got back because I actually had to avoid for several days and weeks this forum that I obsessed over pre-marathon.

I didn’t think I would attend the SciFi Marathon this year, not only for these reasons, but because it just didn’t seem feasible, financially or otherwise, to make the cross country trip so soon after the last one.

And yet…here I am. My tickets came in the mail this week. All 5 of them. I put out some feelers to see if another trip would be possible, and when it came to figuring out what to do with the kids, I finally settled on: Heck, why not take them with me?
This is the year I finally introduce this fickle filmic thing of ours to my teenage boys, and I couldn’t be more giddy.

After my experience last year, I didn’t think I would get The Bite again, but I can honestly say that curation played a large role in my decision. When I saw the announcement of the lineup, and the amount of energetic and “fun” titles there are, I just couldn’t help myself but make the trip happen again. There is not one title I’m not looking forward to this year, and kaiju is not even my thing. My last few Marathons I made the trip back for were horror, so it has been an even longer stretch since I have been to SciFi.
I can’t wait for my girlfriend and my boys to experience Duck Dodgers and Spaceboy and (perhaps?) Gravity for the first time with this audience. And I am especially looking forward to the best film of 2016 MAD MAX FURY ROAD on the big screen again. I never actually got around to watching my BluRay yet, and now I’m grateful I didn’t.

Did I mention I was excited? See y’all in a few short weeks!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:28 pm 
Site Admin

Ya know, it's moments like this that, even when the great Marathon machine becomes an arduous taskmaster, make the whole damn thing worth every minute of time that goes into it. This is why we all got into this cinematic thing of ours, and why we stay hooked all these years later.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:25 pm 

Even though it looks like I can't make it this year :( I have once again put together a playlist of trailers for all the announced films. To everyone that does make it down, have fun!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:12 pm 

Really, really impressed with this lineup. I really love the years that have a unique feel to them. I'm very pleased to see so many movies we haven't seen at the event before, and to see such a great balance. Like somebody else said here, I am purposely not going to investigate a couple of the movies I'm ignorant about, so I can fully enjoy the experience it there.

I will sit through the first 20-30 minutes of Turkish Star Wars and Jason X, (if I can endure that long) then go get something to eat, take a walk, or sleep.

Overall, excellent work. And THANK YOU for having things on the move, with concrete details, so early this year!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:58 pm 
Site Admin

Cool news today, as we've confirmed a post-film Skype Q+A with ARROWHEAD director Jesse O'Brien at SF33! Should be a nice experience, and another great addition to what's shaping up to be a phenomenal rotation of the planet with all of you.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:53 pm 

Warning! Ohio Marathoners....

THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH went over like a lead balloon at the Boston Sci-Fi Marathon despite being a highly anticipated title in the wake of Bowie's death.

I had hazy, mediocre memories of the movie from having seen it 30+ years ago in a college class (!). But, wow, this is one arthouse movie that will drive away even many in that clique (like myself who likely sees more arthouse flicks than anyone you know). Roeg's work defies categorization, and he's never truly been concerned about a taut story as he's more interested in moments, feeling and emotions. When it works, it can be fantastic (WALKABOUT), but, when it doesn't - you get MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH.

I had seen the 119 minute US Theatrical version previously. It has now been restored to 139 minutes - and, you feel the extra 1/3 of an hour! This is one case where the 'Director's Cut' lessens the film, rather than improve upon it.

I beseech Joe Neff and Bruce Bartoo to take mercy on the Ohio audience and bury this pic in the middle of the night slot for maximum sleep possibilities.

Last edited by L.A. Connection on Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:18 am 
Site Admin

Well geez, um thanks my old pal for being so concerned with looking out for us...even though you've never been to a Columbus Marathon and thus have no clue as to the makeup or tastes of the crowd. Now see, having been to Boston almost every year since 1999 (I regrettably missed this year), I can tell you that as much as I love that crowd, they tend to be a DEEPLY conservative bunch when it comes to genre definitions. See that WAVE TWISTERS screening in 2002 (which my pals and I quite enjoyed.) Or ENTHIRAN, which was a pretty big hit in Columbus but was met with some confusion in Boston. Sure MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH is a challenging movie (one I've seen quite a few times over the past ten years, so my memory isn't marred by time), but it didn't surprise me at all when I read some of the responses to it in Boston.

See, that's the beauty of all of these various Sci-Fi and Horror Marathon around the country: the crowd dynamic at each is very different. Which is why even though I've been to Boston many times, I would never go on your message board and post something like this. Because I get what they tend to like, even when I personally don't. And cause, ya know, I consider it to be in relatively poor taste to badmouth a film when friends are trying to promote it.

From the responses we've received so far on many platforms, there's quite a bit of enthusiasm for MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH among our audience. We'll be playing it around the dinner time hour so that everyone who wants to enjoy it can do so fully awake, and those who don't care for it have the option to go to dinner or do something else.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:35 am 

NOTHING could be further from the truth that I was "badmouthing" the Ohio Marathon or it's decision to show FELL. I was doing it as a public service to the crowd. And, YES, I wish somebody had "pre-tested" MAN in a RECENT marathon setting to warn us. And, if you can't speak openly and honestly to a group of kindred spirits - who can you to??? Note: I was reviewing MAN's screening on Sunday night, not my foggy memory from 30+ years ago.

And, like I said, I see tons of arthouse movies. I know the terrain very, very well. I also stated that the Boston crowd was pumped up for the movie and we even did an audience participation sing-a-long to 'Space Oddity' to further pump up the crowd and there were tears in folks' eyes. (P.S. And the arthouse scene in Boston is one of the tops in the entire country, so there are many attendees that have better taste than you may believe. Maybe the old fogies you have talked to there don't, but, they don't represent everbody). And, the marginal genre item NEVER LET ME GO did very well with the crowd even though many loudly expressed their opinion beforehand that it shouldn't be shown at all. So, the crowd is capable of defying your alleged 'conservative' slam on the crowd (diverse items such a PRIMER, THE INDEPENDANT, SLEEP DEALER and others have also done well in Boston. 'Wave-Twisters' was an escaped overlong unfocused music video)

That said, good luck. I fully defend recommending it being shown in Boston - and, wish the best for Columbus. Maybe a 'dinner break' isn't a bad time slot. After an hour or so of meandering noodling on the part of Roeg, folks can jump out and have a meal - and STILL have an hour and 20 minutes to do so! :shock:

Here is my full review of the Boston thon: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1919&p=17686#p17686

Last edited by L.A. Connection on Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:32 am 

IamJacksUserID wrote:
...get The Bite the way I have...

Zingaya! (CHOP!)

But, seriously... glad you're going to be able to make it again, buddy! Looking forward to meeting your mini-you's :)

As for Man Who Fell to Earth...
I certainly don't expect this to be a crowd-pleaser... in fact, very likely it'll be one of those good-old divisive films. But, I suspect there are a lot of marathoners who haven't gotten around to seeing this film, and will appreciate finally having the chance to, even if they don't end up loving it. As for myself - I didn't realize there was a 139 minute restored version - I HOPE that's the version we got, since I've never seen that one, and I'm one of those guys who likes to try to "complete" my movie-going experiences.