The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:30 pm 
Site Admin

Geez, how did this goofy kid worm his way into the Marathon machine?

Riffing off yesterday's thread about the relatively quiet board status lately (and since this seems to have been fairly popular these last few years), here's a restart of the Questions of the Week leading up to SF33! It's a chance to engage in a more in-depth conversation about Marathon-related topics.

And kicking this year's questions off is a matter most personal to all of us: our own evolution as Marathoids. Whether you've been attending this cinematic thing of ours since the halcyon days of the Drexel North, or if your formative years took place at the Arena Grand (or even our current home at the Drexel in Bexley), you've probably experienced some changes along the way, be they in your appreciation of the events or in how you logistically handle the 24-hour dive into filmic obsession.

I've told my story so many times, in so many ways, in so many forums that some of you are probably sick and tired of hearing about how the Marathons changed my life. It still holds true, though. I look back at the rabid obsession I had for the Marathons as a teenager and young man in his 20's as sorta magical times. But I also see my Marathon fandom (and even though I'm a co-organizer, I'm still a fan at heart) as a mirror image of my maturation as an adult. It would be hard for me to duplicate that rabid enthusiasm of my early days today, but my current love for the Marathon experience isn't any less powerful, just deeper.

I'll echo another sentiment recently expressed her in saying that I tend to tamp down my overt enthusiasm in the weeks leading up to each Marathon, if for no other reason than not to burn myself out before the main event. Working behind the scenes tends to have that effect on you. Of course, I tend to do this with a lot of things in my life, so there's that too. Nonetheless, when the day of each Marathon rolls around, and when the crowd starts filing in and filling the room with that very particular energy, it gets me jazzed like nothing else.

Admittedly, I entered a period where my enthusiasm was tempered just a bit. The Drexel North hangover was tough to shake, especially as I saw the shaky progress through the halls of the Arena Grand and Gateway, and the sometimes tumultuous years of the post-2008 Drexel Sci-Fi Marathons (under previous management.) The Horror Marathons always kept me enthusiastic, and I can definitely credit the resurrection of the 24-Hour Horrorfest with rejuvenating my passion for the genre. And when I partnered up with Bruce for Sci-Fi in 2014, it injected me with a renewed love of that event that continues until today.

On a purely logistical level, I've lived quite the Benjamin Button-esque existence as a working Marathoid. Unlike most of the population, I couldn't stay awake in the late hours worth a lick when I was in my teens and early 20's. But as time has progressed (and as more and more of my Marathoid cohorts complain of not being able to survive the rigors of the event), I've been able to brave most fests with little or no sleep. Chalk it up to my vampiric roots (see what watching THE HUNGER so many times will getcha?) Actually, chalk it up to a dedicated training regimen. In those yonder days of the '90s, I would drink soda and eat a sizeable dinner, or dig into the pizza early. But for years now, I've made sure to eat a good deal of fiber during the Marathons, and drink plenty of water. I enjoy my first cup of coffee of the day during the first film, but then I try to hold off on more java until the prime time hour or later. Less food parcelled out over time seems to work for the most part. And I've also found that thinking of the event like you'd think about a real Marathon, figuratively putting one foot after another while not looking too far ahead, is a great mindset to adopt.

One more thing too, one that perhaps ties in with my step behind the scenes: I tend to be a bit less judgmental about the films in any Marathon, even the ones outside of Columbus. Eleven years ago, I posted a mini-rant on the old Drexel forums about my dislike for the screening of STARSHIP TROOPERS 2 (which, granted, was before director and FX wizard Phil Tippett had been confirmed as a guest.) My argument was that its presence prevented the lineup from being truly great. Today, I would take a much wider view of the filmic slate, looking instead at the strong quality of the lineup as a whole, rather than one film. It kinda baffles me when a select few attendees take such grievous umbrage at one film in the lineup; two years ago, a few people chided us for showing THE SATANIST as if it were a snuff film about child sacrifice. In the end, one film is one film. Lord knows there have been films over the years that I haven't liked. I sat in the lobby in 2010 rather than watch the latest Larry Blamire film, but that didn't completely turn me against that Marathon (although now that I'm scanning that lineup, it was probably my least favorite of recent times, so.....yeah.....) Anyway, you get the point.

So what about all of you? How have you evolved over the years?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:56 pm 

When I was a pre-teen and teenager, I watched USA's Up All Night, which introduced me to lots of B movies every weekend that I ordinarily never would have had access to, so I developed a love for those. My taste for Horror was strengthened even more when I watched TNT's MonsterVision With Joe Bob Briggs, also airing every weekend. As far as older films, even really, really old ones, I developed a taste for those way back when either for my birthday or Christmas one year, I got a bunch of VHS tapes, which I used to fill up with Horror and Sci Fi films using the cable channels that I had access to. I also watched a steady diet of Asian films, thanks to The Sundance Channel airing them every single Saturday (and/or Sunday?) on a program called "Asia Extreme". I also watched Asian films that aired on The Anime Network, so I'm not sure if I have evolved too much, as my tastes in Horror and Science Fiction films was already pretty broad to begin with. It's funny, because the very first movie marathon that I ever attended is The Incredible Two-Headed Marathon at the Drexel Grandview way back in 2004, and even though it was only 12 hours, still it was my very first movie marathon and somehow, I successfully managed to stay all the way awake. Ironically, the one movie that I got really sleepy during was The Machinist, a movie in which a man hasn't slept for three years. Nowadays, I often find myself falling asleep several times during the 24 hour marathons, and am very envious of those that can successfully stay awake all 24 hours at every marathon.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:46 pm 

I'd say my evolution has been to get more and more obsessed :lol: , and to bring others into the fold. Marathoid fever is definitely a communicable disease, and since my first year attending (alone) at Sci-Fi in 2008, I've brought a lot of friends and family, as well as making new friends among the crowd. I hope everyone that enjoys the 'thons gets the chance to bring new people into the fold as well, because, as has been said many times on this board, the community of the crowd and sharing the experience with people you enjoy is what makes the Marathons great.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:09 pm 

My evolution as a Marathoid is pretty similar to everyone else's here. I get more and more obsessed with information every year, whether I am attending or not. I figured it had something to do with the physical distance, and the foreboding sense of nostalgia. I guess that although my situation is unique, I don't think the compulsion to return and obsess is.

I too have found that I sleep a lot less as I grow older, which seems weird. But I think a lot of that has to do with the time and financial investment making the trip across country is for me. It is in my best interest to get my money's worth. I have never been critical of lineups either because all of my fondest marathon memories involve films I didn't think I would like and/or knew nothing about.

I would say one of the biggest differences as an audience member from when I first started going 24 years ago is my respect for older films. If it was made before I was born it must be bad and therefore be worthy of mockery, no matter what. I sense that many of the regulars have "grown up" along with me because I haven't experienced nearly as much idle chatter and audience participation in recent years.

(It has been over a decade since we saw ROBOT MONSTER, however. So book a repeat showing of that and I'm all over that shit...)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:56 am 

I am different in detail but not in essence.
I was raised in a home surrounded by science fiction. My older sister, brother and dad all read . One of the two big dustups that I had with my significantly older (10 year) brother was when as a kid I took some of his collection of old SF magazines and returned them in less than pristine condition.
On the occasion that my sis, bro and I (I was 11 or 12) drove cross country our evening entertainment was going to movies. We saw The Mysterians in St. Louis. I believe that it was Tulsa where we watched 20 Million Miles To Earth.
My first Marathon experience was the 13th CWRU event. (They're at 41 now.) Missed one year due to a business trip since. As I age into decrepitude Case still has one clear advantage over other events. Get there early and you can recline on a mattress for comfortable viewing.
It's other advantage is something that all Columbusards can understand. I am part of a crew of 8-12 long term friends who attend - with more than a dozen other regulars who greet each other annually.
With the decline of availability of 35mm, Case has gotten less creative in their selections. Columbus often does better.
Found Columbus - and then Boston - after I retired. Attended the last four at the Drexel. I like the fact that it's regulars often differ in their tastes from my own and feel it part of my mission to piss them off, with their reactions serving the purpose of my education. Appreciate the work of Bruce, Joe and their minions to create an event that both features classics and stretches our experience.
Everyone up for Turkish Star Wars?

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:59 pm 

I would add to this conversation that I usually attend, like I will this year, with my best friend, who like me is a movie buff. But I have attended alone when he could not make it, and still had fun talking to people I didn't know sitting around me. There is a communal spirit of doing this marathon together that makes it enjoyable every year no matter what the line-up.

As to film line-ups, I would point to my first marathon. Complaints that year were due to some Hollywood film no one had seen called Frequency, and some kids cartoon named The Iron Giant. Both of course went over like gangbusters. On the other hand, I was curious to see Automatons, and, well ...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:56 am 

I wanted to reply to this thread before the 33rd this past weekend, but just couldn't get to it in time.

Ways I have evolved since my first - the 9th SciFi Marathon in 1995 at the Drexel North:

- First of all, I was 19 then, and I'm 40 now. Yikes.
- I used to devour all of the trash food I could possibly get down. Now I catch myself drinking lots of water throughout the night, eating two standard meals, and barely snacking in between. This year I did drink a redbull - that was my major junk intake.
- Staying awake for the full 24 hours without so much as a momentary doze used to be a matter of utmost importance and pride, not only as a matter of personal achievement, but also for bragging rights among my friends. I only actually accomplished this feat once - in 2002 at the 19th 'Thon at the Arena Grande, ironically; The year we finished with THX1138. Finishing with that film damn near killed me, but I persevered. Since then, I have no problem at all sleeping for 30 minutes here and there through the films that don't interest me.
- I used to do everything in my power to remain in the main theater as much as possible so as not to miss a single thing. If Bruce got up to talk, I had to be there. If the slides were playing on screen between films, I wanted to see them. If the corny SciFi-related songs were playing, I wanted to hear them. I wanted to people watch the rest of the audience and just be present at all times so as not to miss anything. Now, I get up, take strolls, mill about the lobby. Granted, I generally plan it so as not to miss anything important, but I'm not tethered to my seat anymore.
- The biggest change is arrival time. My group used to kill ourselves to try to be in line at the crack-ass break of dawn. I guess we've learned over the years that unless you're the first one at the door, it doesn't matter how early you get there, because those who are at the front let their 900 friends cut the line, so we always got pushed back halfway down the block anyway, which is total bullshit. But when in Rome... So we now just plan to get there at a reasonable time and we work with some other friends - whoever gets there first holds a place in line for the others. Hey, gotta play the game or get shat on.
- The night before the marathons it was not uncommon for us to play cards, drink, watch movies (all at the same time) until 3am, 4am, no problem. Then we'd get up at 6am and race to the line. We still stick to tradition and play cards, drink, and watch movies. But I think I was asleep by 10:30pm Friday night this year. I think next year we'll try to keep going until a little later than that, but you've got the idea: I'm a little nicer to myself these days.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:07 pm 

I am one of the 4 people, along with Bruce who were at the first marathon at the North and at 33. I have been to every SciFi in between. Some years were harder than others to make the schedule work, but I did. The years in DC were a bit more complicated logistically, but for the most part were easier than some of the Drexel North years, when I worked weekends or the more recent years since the boys are older and my wife's ability to watch them for a weekend has declined.

I grew up watching Fritz when Dad was working an odd shift at the bakery and I didn't have school. And I watched Superhost on Channel 43 on Saturday's, so I had a good grounding in SciFi films. I think Cathy Dunn, who was a couple years older than me, but worked at the North is the one who told me about the marathon. I lived on Northridge Rd, so the Drexel North was a reasonable walk. I sat at the first one with a cooler of 7-Ups and bologna and cheese sandwiches next to the guy who in later years would sells buttons and badges. I often wonder what became of him, I bought a couple badges from him during the Riffe Center years, but don't recall seeing him after that.

I used to come alone and I usually arrived in time to be near the corner of the front of the Drexel North, so I still got my seat choice, but wasn't in line for six hours. I first ran into Bob there, with a group of his friends where he read to them from the Nitpicker's guide to ST:TNG to help pass the time. My now wife went to about 5 of them with me, SF8-12, but it just wasn't her thing. I had different friends come along, but over the years they have moved away or gotten too busy to make it, so I again am coming alone. But once I get there I am not alone. My older son, if his schedule permits may come next year. My younger one, may start coming sooner. He is the bigger scifi fan at 4 than his brother has ever been, the The Force Awakens seems to have awoken something in Sergei with regards to scifi.

I usually come early to be near the front of the line and catch up with Bob, Aaron, Greg and the others. I do wonder where some of the folks have gone. The guy with the thick glasses and the gorilla costume, for example. I'm starting to think we should post a lost and found board for attendees. As Joe and Bruce said, this very much is like a weird kind of family reunion. Some family members I have never spoken to there, but have here and I believe vice versa. The guy that wears the kilt every year. I'm pretty sure we discussed issues of race a few years back about comments at a horror marathon, but I don't think I have spoken to him in person. I missed seeing Aaron this year. And that family aspect is what makes me still think my hoodie will come back to me, once someone figures out they picked it up by accident.

I've always wanted to do more to help with the marathon, but never found a way, my schedule being what it is. I did fund the costume contest for a couple years when I thought it was about to die, but that money needed to be reallocated. I am glad to see the costume contest may finally be out of the doldrums.

Work restrictions on the web have made coming by here during the work day more challenging so I don't get by like I used to. And this year the thought I wasn't going to make it had me so depressed I didn't come by at all. I have started referring to it as more of a reunion to non-marathoids. They seem to grasp that concept better than if I start off by saying it is a 24 hour movie marathon. Hopefully next year's will be in April and less drama on my end. I realize they had to have it early because of the renovations.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:44 am 

rustywoodenrobot wrote:
- Staying awake for the full 24 hours without so much as a momentary doze used to be a matter of utmost importance and pride, not only as a matter of personal achievement, but also for bragging rights among my friends. I only actually accomplished this feat once - in 2002 at the 19th 'Thon at the Arena Grande, ironically; The year we finished with THX1138. Finishing with that film damn near killed me, but I persevered. Since then, I have no problem at all sleeping for 30 minutes here and there through the films that don't interest me.

This brings up a point I wanted to make about the amazing ability of staying awake all 24 hours during a marathon. I came up with an idea: How about every person who attends the Sci Fi and/or Horror Marathons that has either never or nearly never fallen asleep each marathon create a new section on the forums with tips on how to stay awake all 24 hours? It would include the wonderful post from a user whose name I unfortunately don't remember right now who gave tips on how to stay awake all 24 hours. It would be a section from "the elites", the bad asses who, unlike me, have managed to stay awake all 24 hours with amazing skill.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:01 am 

HorrorTriviaMaster wrote:
rustywoodenrobot wrote:

This brings up a point I wanted to make about the amazing ability of staying awake all 24 hours during a marathon. I came up with an idea: How about every person who attends the Sci Fi and/or Horror Marathons that has either never or nearly never fallen asleep each marathon create a new section on the forums with tips on how to stay awake all 24 hours? It would include the wonderful post from a user whose name I unfortunately don't remember right now who gave tips on how to stay awake all 24 hours. It would be a section from "the elites", the bad asses who, unlike me, have managed to stay awake all 24 hours with amazing skill.

I hardly ever fall asleep at the marathons, maybe a head nod here or there but rarely do I zonk out completely. I have found that if you drink soda and eat junk early in the marathon the more tired you are in the wee hours of the morning, I try to drink mainly water (I still buy the bottomless cup, support the snack bar!!) and avoid candy. The Carbs in the Pizza helps keep me going.

Now later in the event when I start feeling tired I drink a soda or two, eat some candy and donuts when they bring them in, the sugar boost helps get me thru the wee hours. NEVER DO CAFFEINE you will bottom out quick!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:35 pm 

Ghost wrote:
rustywoodenrobot wrote:

I hardly ever fall asleep at the marathons, maybe a head nod here or there but rarely do I zonk out completely. I have found that if you drink soda and eat junk early in the marathon the more tired you are in the wee hours of the morning, I try to drink mainly water (I still buy the bottomless cup, support the snack bar!!) and avoid candy. The Carbs in the Pizza helps keep me going.

Now later in the event when I start feeling tired I drink a soda or two, eat some candy and donuts when they bring them in, the sugar boost helps get me thru the wee hours. NEVER DO CAFFEINE you will bottom out quick!!

Thank you for the info. It is most valuable to me. This past marathon, I fell asleep FOUR TIMES! lol I always hate sleeping during a marathon. I want to catch every second of every film.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:17 pm 

I've posted here previously about the sleep thing.
Of course a basic is to go into the event well rested.
That's difficult for a lot of people, including me. Either you're already with friends or you are excited about the event making timely rest difficult. So be aware of all the info about getting rest. Try to keep to your regular schedule. Have a beer or a drink, but no more. Take care of everything for the next day previous to going to sleep so that worries don't interfere & make you restless.

As far as on the day, HorrorTriv and previous posts by LASource elsewhere both make sense, but the real basics are to know yourself and to learn from experience.
30+ years experience means adjusting to the fact that for me absolute wakefullness is impossible. Adjustments are absolutely necessary.

I pick the movie/s to skip that is/are screening several films into the marathon and don't fool around. I SLEEP.
Recent sleep studies about napping indicate that when you sleep for more than 30 minutes your brain stays in patterns that leave you groggy. But 30 minutes is just a drop in the bucket and insufficient rest to get through the rest of the show. And there is no natural break to wake you up again. So after the movie GET UP and walk to reactivate your brain. Marathons we go to are during the winter, so I go outside and let the blast of cold revive me. I repeat as necessary. Since you don't know how movies that are new to you will play, I usually assume that I'll stay awake for them. But you never know. The first 15 minutes of Turkish Star Wars were very difficult for me to follow as much as I had looked forward to the movie. The tall person sitting in front of me made it necessary to duck around to read the captions at the bottom of the screen so I said screw it & settled in for an hour and a half.
Small food intake, unless it actually includes going out for something to eat, works for me.
I also keep caffeine intake at low or zero through most of the show. Caffeine, as much as I normally like it, when combined with little sleep makes me muzzy. However at the end the combination of some caffeine and the shock of sugar revives me to get through the last couple of films. So I start Pepsi or the equivalent big time. At the end I'm rolling even better than at the middle.
For me, it's a 2 1/2 hour drive home. Staying awake when I need to is not a question of entertainment, but survival. Hence trying to push iron man wakefullness is more than just fun or trying to do it for the goof of it. It is necessary.
Know your patterns and limits and act accordingly.

This subject has drifted sufficiently so as to discourage posts on the original topic. Probably the last several posts should be transferred to the appropriate thread.

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

Last edited by pogo on Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:37 am 

It's right here. Everybody is free to add their own tips: STAY AWAKE All 24 Hours - A Guide http://www.scifimarathon.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=823

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:47 pm 

L.A. Connection wrote:

It's right here. Everybody is free to add their own tips: STAY AWAKE All 24 Hours - A Guide http://www.scifimarathon.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=823

thanks. :)