The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:02 pm 
Site Admin

It's here! The much-anticipated lineup for the 33rd Annual Ohio 24-Hour Science Fiction Marathon (March 5-6 at the Drexel Theater)! And what a treasure trove of cinematic pleasures it is! The lineup as it currently stands includes:

-The MIDWEST PREMIERE of Ben Wheatley's gonzo adaptation of cult author J.G. Ballard's HIGH-RISE! With Tom Hiddleston, Jeremy Irons, Sienna Miller, and Elisabeth Moss!

-The MIDWEST PREMIERE of acclaimed Aussie sci-fi thriller ARROWHEAD!

-A NEW DCP screening of George Miller's classic symphony of car crash chaos MAD MAX!

-And Miller's critically acclaimed follow-up, the hyper-kinetic MAD MAD: FURY ROAD! With Tom Hardy, Charlize Theron, and more practical automotive insanity than you shake a rusty carburetor at!

-A tribute to the late David Bowie with a NEW DCP RESTORATION of Nicolas Roeg's cult classic THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH!

-A NEW DCP of Sean Connery in John Boorman's existentially lunatic utopian takedown, the truly singular ZARDOZ!

-A RARE 35MM SCREENING of John Carpenter's STARMAN! With Jeff Bridges and Karen Allen!

-The NEW 4K RESTORATION of Richard Fleischer's FANTASTIC VOYAGE! With Donald Pleasance and Raquel Welch at the height of her va-va-voom '60s glory!

-A RARE 35MM SCREENING of the 1968 ultimate kaiju smackdown epic DESTROY ALL MONSTERS!

-In what should be an ideal Marathon crowd experience, a screening of the Turkish film industry's definitive Lucas-ian rip-off TURKISH STAR WARS!

-A late night screening of the much-requested (at least in certain circles) FRIDAY THE 13th in space romp JASON X!

We're also pursuing one more premiere to round out the lineup, so keep your eyes peeled here and on our various web outlets for the latest!

PLUS!
-Mike Olenick's sci-fi tinged Wet Darlings music video "Beautiful Things"!
-The 33rd Annual Costume Contest, with $100 FIRST PRIZE (and the coveted BIG CHECK!)
-Galaxies of 35mm Trailers and Shorts!
-And much, much more!

Tickets for SF33 are ON SALE at the Drexel Theater (2254 E. Main St.), Laughing Ogre Comics (4258 N. High St.), and via the TICKETS link right here at http://www.scifimarathon.com! $40 in advance, $45 at the door! March 5th can't come soon enough!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:37 pm 

Picked up my ticket on Friday. High Rise looks interesting! Haven't seen Starman since I saw it at the theatre in 1984. Zardoz will be gone within the week if not sooner. Jason X will be a divisive topic. Can't wait for the 5th. Rip-roaring and ready to go!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:17 pm 

Looks like it will be overall a very silly and fun marathon. I don't think I will be able to make it this year due to prior plans, but I hope everyone that does make it has fun!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:54 pm 

Ok before we jump into the JASON X part of this line-up I want to say even without my favorite slasher icon this is a stellar line-up.....Great Job Bruce and Joe!!

HIGH-RISE - Never heard of this one so only time will tell, it does sound interesting.

MAD MAX - There is no way to go wrong with the original Mel Gibson Action Thriller.

MAD MAD: FURY ROAD - Of all the possible recent films this is the best choice for the Sci-Fi.

THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH - Perfect tribute to David Bowie, maybe we will see more Bowie at the horror marathon in The Hunger???

ZARDOZ - I recently bought the limited edition Blu-ray for this and haven't watched it yet, now I need to wait till later in 2016 to watch the Blu-ray.

John Carpenter's STARMAN - I can't believe this has never played a marathon before, classic Carpenter movie with an awesome Mustang Cobra.

FANTASTIC VOYAGE - Honestly I was hoping is this ever played again it would be book ended with Innerspace but I still love the movie and a 4K DCP should look amazing.

DESTROY ALL MONSTERS - The king of all monsters has been long absent from the marathon, glad he is returning in this all out war of monsters.

TURKISH STAR WARS - Never heard of this, hope its funny.

JASON X - Ok Boys and Girls here we go...I know I have been pushing for this to play for like 15 years and it's finally showing (So Howard the Duck can't be far behind) and I know there are mixed emotions about "a slasher" film playing the Sci-Fi Marathon and honestly I hope the majority of the audience has fun with it, but if you hate it please take a nap or go to the lobby but let those of us that want to see this and have been waiting many years to see it at the marathon enjoy it.
JASON X does open itself up to some snarking and at 4am we need that anyway, i'm just asking that you don't ruin it for everyone just because you don't agree with it playing the marathon.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:09 pm 

Hi think it's a great line-up and really have to stretch to find a complaint. It's not a complaint, but I wish a couple more titles were in 35mm, but I know the availability and the economics of 35mm prints make that difficult. And at least we have all of Bruce's trailers and shorts! It's been 4 years since my last Columbus marathon and I can't wait for that! And for the most part digital projection these days is a lot better than at the beginning of the decade at most theaters.

As for Jason X, I am one of its champions. It's stupid, cheesy fun like a lot of the other films that play and have played marathons since the very beginning. I've never understood how some of it's detractors on this forum could be so passionately hate on it but have no problem with ridiculously goofy films like Green Slime and The Killer Shrews. Though I guess there is a contingent of marathoids who want their sci-fi to be sci-fi and their horror to be horror and never the twain shall meet. Those people are missing out on the whole purpose of the marathons in my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:48 pm 

Have seen all but three. I agree that it's an "Interesting" lineup.

Won't comment on Jason as have expressed opinion elsewhere.
Will take Ghost's suggestion to get (by then) some much needed rest.
I do certainly think that there are more than one set of opinions as to what "The whole purpose of marathons" might be. And one doesn't invalidate another. Lighten up meat.

The crunch for me will be what else is coming. Looking forward to the complete announcement.

Increasingly I realize that I am in the minority on many films. And it certainly doesn't have to do with polish, era of production or any sort of claim of absolute quality of specific films.
So where I am in the minority as having liked Shadows On The Wall for a bunch of reasons, where it was generally reviled , I am glad that the orig. Mad Max will be here. Latest sequel? Too much sound & fury, signifying little. Also seen it twice in the last month. Clearly my problem.
Starman yes. Destroy All Monsters - Yes. Turkish Star---? Yeah. Anyone who appreciated Endirihan can only appreciate "diversity". Voyage? Not really. It's cute enough, but the adventures are a little too melodramatic.
Never liked Zardoz. Perhaps has to do with being an old fart and not being overly impressed with mind expanding psychedelic stuff. Was there & my brain still ain't the same.
But still, a good start. I guess what I'd hope for would be a couple of additional classic obscurities.
Or recent indies.
And more funny stuff.

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

Last edited by pogo on Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:40 pm 

Brilliant misdirection by Bruce and Joe here. With all the attention focused on the two turds of Jason X and Zardoz, everyone is overlooking Turkish Star Wars.

Believe me, I've seen both Zardoz and Jason X multiple times, they're not good (though Zardoz does have a few interesting things in it, and at least Jason X generally tries to be quick and fun). But Turkish Star Wars is on another level entirely. Though to be fair, maybe I wasn't in the mood, as we didn't even make it anywhere near halfway through the movie.

Perhaps it'll be better here if it catches the crowd at a good time.

I've decided I'm not even going to watch a trailer or anything for High Rise. I'll try to go in as ignorant as possible.

(And really, Zardoz and Jason X aren't that bad. There's some decent stuff in Zardoz once you finally get past what SC is wearing. And at least Jason X is somewhat different from the other Ft13th movies.)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:04 pm 
Site Admin

cleazer wrote:
Brilliant misdirection by Bruce and Joe here. With all the attention focused on the two turds of Jason X and Zardoz, everyone is overlooking Turkish Star Wars.

Awwww now THEM's fightin' words! You can call me a smut peddler for booking A SERBIAN FILM. You can make scatalogical jibes at me, ala Pogo. But when ya knock on ZARDOZ, ya REALLY throw the gauntlet down! You and me.....water guns.....fifty paces......March 5th...

But seriously, I think ZARDOZ is sorta brilliant. And crazy. And VERY much of its time. And likely to be at least mildly polarizing. And quite possibly a great wild card entry for a crowd that seems to always make any film more enjoyable.

Except for ELECTROMA. But that's a WHOLE 'nother thread for a whole 'nother day.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:21 am 

Joe Neff wrote:
You and me.....water guns.....fifty paces

50 paces? I guess that means neither of us will be getting wet.
Joe Neff wrote:
But seriously, I think ZARDOZ is sorta brilliant. And crazy. And VERY much of its time.

I'm not sure Zardoz is brilliant. Or even good. (Though it might be.) But I kinda liked it too. There's an interesting sci-fi story in there. I think the first time I watched it I was distracted by what it was, but the second time I appreciated the story and setting more. It's been a few years, so I don't mind watching it again in March. (Been a few years for Jason X too. I've avoided it for the past few years ever since people started insisting that it be played at a marathon, expecting to eventually see it again on the big screen.)
There, that should help bury the actual lead.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:55 pm 

Hey, look at this, I said something nice about Zardoz back in the 2013 thread:
http://www.scifimarathon.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1598

Now I can be allowed to marathon this year?
(In Soviet Russia, marathon watches you.)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:56 pm 

pogo wrote:
Have seen all but three. I agree that it's an "Interesting" lineup.

Won't comment on Jason as have expressed opinion elsewhere.
Will take Ghost's suggestion to get (by then) some much needed rest.
I do certainly think that there are more than one set of opinions as to what "The whole purpose of marathons" might be. And one doesn't invalidate another. Lighten up meat.

The crunch for me will be what else is coming. Looking forward to the complete announcement.

Increasingly I realize that I am in the minority on many films. And it certainly doesn't have to do with polish, era of production or any sort of claim of absolute quality of specific films.
So where I am in the minority as having liked Shadows On The Wall for a bunch of reasons, where it was generally reviled , I am glad that the orig. Mad Max will be here. Latest sequel? Too much sound & fury, signifying little. Also seen it twice in the last month. Clearly my problem.
Starman yes. Destroy All Monsters - Yes. Turkish Star---? Yeah. Anyone who appreciated Endirihan can only appreciate "diversity". Voyage? Not really. It's cute enough, but the adventures are a little too melodramatic.
Never liked Zardoz. Perhaps has to do with being an old fart and not being overly impressed with mind expanding psychedelic stuff. Was there & my brain still ain't the same.
But still, a good start. I guess what I'd hope for would be a couple of additional classic obscurities.
Or recent indies.
And more funny stuff.

Lighten up? Really? I'm fine with everything listed. But in this post where I'm supposed to lighten up, you basically said you don't like or care about 5 of the films listed. I'm confused about your Enthiran comment and "diversity"-why the quotes? Enthiran was a huge hit when it played.

As for my comment about the purpose of the marathons, I'll explain. The marathons are about community first and foremost. Spending an entire 24-26 hours in a room with hundreds of like minded fans watching genre films. Second it's about exploring and exposing the audience to a variety of sub-genres, eras, and styles of films. I don't know that there's ever been a marathon where every film was beloved by everyone in the audience. A lot of people don't want to see any old titles, and some people don't want cheesy movies. Others want only cheesy schlock while others hate subtitles. I don't remember all your posts over the years, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you aren't a fan of violent sci-fi. But there's a lot of crossover between the horror/action/and sci-fi genres-which a lot of people appreciate. The variety of titles and the audience experience are what it's all about for me.

Between Columbus and Chicago, I've probably been to over 30 marathons in my life and the best ones are always the ones that balance these different forces. There have been many times I've gone in expecting not to like a film, or already didn't like a film, just to have my opinion changed because of the marathon experience. And I can't count how many films I've discovered just because of the marathons.

I'm pretty excited for this year. The premiere looks great. The balance between, classic, cheesy, and new and old is great. It is odd that this year doesn't have any black and white films. But that's not a complaint, just an observation.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:13 pm 

One of the purposes (for me) of this board is to get different perspectives. Thanks for yours meat.
To be concrete. I'll answer the specific questions you asked or implied.
I thought that my intent of my "Lighten up meat" was clear. Your view of what "The whole purpose of marathons" as stated had to do with horror & SF specifically.
Your longer description was great - and different. In fact it is pretty close to my own feelings. My problem was your original statement as an absolute.

You are right about me being a picky SOB. If you've been to approx. 30 marathons, we have about the same experience. Don't know if you were counting horror thons in your total, but that isn't relevant. Whatever the label, as you point out, a marathon is a diversity of types of films. There is no reason to like all of them.
I don't like or dislike violent SF. (Note that I liked Mad Max original). My gripe about one past lineup was what I felt was a preponderance of one type of films.
Which is another way of stating what you did. A balance of films.
And yeah. One of the best experiences at a marathon is discovering a film. That you expected to not like it is icing.
And even if your tendencies and specific tastes disagree with mine, again, your point, "The variety of titles and the audience experience are what it's all about for me." is well stated and something that I agree with completely.
Enthiran? I said I liked it. My memory of the audience reaction, and specifically of post-film comment, differs from yours. The quotes on diversity were because I hear it used as a snotty term for stuff that ain't to US Anglo tastes. And I heard it used for Enth---.
I both said and still feel that slasher horror has a different nature and is appropriate to another kind of marathon, which exists in Columbus. I also said, in another thread, that if Joe & others feel that new & old audience would like it, that it was my problem. Glad to hear that the specific film is cheesy & funny and not just gore shock.
You and I will both be in Columbus in March. It's a 2 1/2 hour drive for me. I will be there because I like & support the experience. That's true of both of us.

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:53 pm 

Sounds like we agree more than we disagree Pogo. I do think this marathon is well balanced compared to some years. These marathons are more fun than Christmas and my birthday for me. This will be my first time at a Columbus marathon since 2012 and I'm so excited to see everyone, and especially the trailers and shorts that we rarely get in Chicago. If work and getting married didn't interfere, I would've made the 6 hour drive every year.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:54 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:36 pm 
Site Admin

Coming soon in its highly collectible, limited edition, Vulcan green, double-sided, full-strength version to finer outlets near you!