The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:10 pm 

Ghost,
I have appreciated a good number of your posts.
"Teachers vs. Students."
NO NO A THOUSAND TIMES NO!!!!

Better Daft Punk extrodinaire.
Or a Tarantino Marathon.
Or the best of William Shatner.

Or as long as the conversation is going to various alternatives---

Manga?
Philip Dick movies? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_adaptations_of_works_by_Philip_K._Dick
Best SF movies you never heard of? Or would like to see again? http://www.highsnobiety.com/2015/07/08/sci-fi-movies/ (Admittedly most here do know several of the linked movies.)
Other links. http://coolmaterial.com/feature/17-sci-fi-movies-every-guy-should-see/
(Most of these are very familiar, but I would drive to Omaha to see them.)
http://oddculture.com/top-10-best-sci-fi-movies-you-dont-know-about/
http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/14-great-science-fiction-indie-films-from-abre-los-ojos-to-the-terminator (An odd list with some great suggestions)
There are lots of "SF Movies you should see" lists - most of which contain movies that are familiar to people reading this post. And certainly to Bruce, Joe, David & other planners. My point is that a classic/obscure mini-marathon has lots of possibility. And to show a half day - well publicized - marathon would attract viewers.
Next.

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:59 am 
Site Admin

pogo wrote:

I have been trying ...
:)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:37 pm 

I love the idea of an occasional mini-thon. The x-factors are what exactly that thon is and when it's happening.

I also like the idea from a marketing standpoint (for lack of a better word). I have friends that have been intrigued with the marathon but the time commitment and cost can intimidate some. Shorter and more affordable may be a selling point to get folks to dip in for the experience.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:33 am 

I guess, in theory, more is always better but my fear would be that the smaller events would water down the two larger events, invoking 'Thon fatigue by the time the next 24 hour event comes around.

I'd like to make more events but 1 is just right for me. However, I do agree with my alter-ego in that the smaller events may entice folks, who are on the fence, to attend the larger 'Thons.

From a fiscal year stand point, you guys already have the two larger events in Q1 and Q4, you probably could do two smaller events in Q2 and Q3, just to round things out.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:59 am 

The corridors are echoing here.
Any progress on the idea of a mini-marathon?

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:41 pm 
Site Admin

Pogo! Pal! Buddy! That echoing sound in the corridors? It's the mighty gears of the Marathon Machine grinding away, working on producing more quality product!

Or maybe it's Bruce and I repeatedly falling down whilst stumbling in the dark?

Seriously, though, we've discussed the possibility of more mini-events with the Drexel, and they're more than amenable to the concept. Nothing set in stone yet, but we're probably going to give the late August SHOCK-O-RAMA another go as a kickoff event for this fall's SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK. And we've been tossing around ideas for some double, triple, and quadruple features. Even an all-nighter of sorts. And we'd like to host one or more of these this summer, if possible. More to come.

In much belated response to some of the....er.....responses here, I'd absolutely love to take part in more mini-Marathons of other genres. Brass tacks, though, is that horror, sci-fi, and exploitation are the easiest sells. And while we're still trying to build an audience for these things, those three genres are likely to be the most represented for the time being. But rest assured, all of us here at Marathon Central have far-ranging tastes, so if some of these events go well we'd love to expand out a bit further.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 5:23 pm 

Sounds sensible. Given my tastes I would of course preferred classic SF or something other than SHOCK!. But that's me.
I'll still vote for classic stuff. Universal creature features, Old B.E.M. that could be interpreted as SHOCK! or things like the couple of recent fan produced Lovecraft tributes.
Anyway. May the mighty gears grind and may you produce something that I can market to a Cleveland crew to make the journey.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:24 pm 

How about a WHORE MOVIE MARATHON

Just think of all the fun movies this theme would allow.....

Basic Instinct (Sharon Stone)
Sliver (Sharon Stone)
The Hunger (Susan Sarandon)
Rocky Horror Picture Show (Susan Sarandon)
Barbarella (Jane Fonda)
The China Syndrome (Jane Fonda)

I am sure there are lots more titles that could be added.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:39 pm 
Site Admin

A belated update to everyone on this thread. Our original plan for expanding the Marathon events was to put on some sort of show in July. But when the Drexel's reopening was pushed back from early June to mid-July, that sorta scuttled those plans and moved us onto the planning for August 20th's SHOCK-O-RAMA. But we still want to organize other smaller events and screenings in the future, so keep yer eyes peeled for more info.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:11 am 

VitruvianZeke wrote:
pogo wrote:

I have been trying ...
:)

I vote YES FOR INCUBUS!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:55 am 

How's this for a Mini-Marathon Event "Satanic Panic" the films of the 70's and Early 80's that created the so called Satanic Panic of the 80's:

Rosemary's Baby
The Exorcist
The Omen
EvilSpeak

I will let others add to the list because there are several movies that fall into this category