The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:59 pm 
Site Admin

So some of you may have seen me start this thread over on the Marathon Facebook page. But I figured that this forum's capacity for more expansive discussion might serve it even better.

At the Science Fiction Marathon, Tim and a few others asked me about the possibility of another SHOCK-O-RAMA sometime before SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK. As most of you know, Bruce and I would LOVE to do more mini-events throughout the year. It just comes down to getting people to attend them. For instance, SHOCK-O-RAMA had a paid attendance of around 80. Which was great! But three 35mm features (which included clearing rights for all three and shipping for one) and some rental costs associated with the theater meant that we just broke even on the event.

Now we figured that a $10 price tag might bring in between 100-150 people, especially with two of the features being solid classics that aren't frequently screened 'round these parts. The late August time frame might have played a part in the lack of more attendees, but putting on a show like this sorta necessitates scheduling it far enough away from SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK so as not to burn people out. Of course, this was only the second quasi-all-nighter that we'd attempted (after the...um...gathering that was ROCKPOCALYPSE), so the lesser attendance might also have been a case of the event being part of the building process for more shows like this.

So the big question is this: what kind of interest is out there for more mini-events like SHOCK-O-RAMA? We always have trailer shows to fall back on, and we'd love to do some more oddball combos (like a return of the B and exploitation film all-nighters.) One of the big questions we had coming out of SHOCK-O-RAMA was how many films make events like these enticing? Is a triple feature too much? Or too little? Does the allure of a Midnight-Noon or 10pm-Noon show (and the concurrent longer commitment) carry more weight?

One of the strange facts of the modern Marathon game is that we almost never struggle to bring attendees in from out of state (or out of the city.) It only seems like we struggle when trying to sell the Marathons to locals. And doing more mini-Marathons would most likely limit us to in-city attendees, and possibly some from around the state. That's something we'd always have to consider.

So think of this thread as a general discussion/spitballing session for what could be an exciting expansion of the Marathon Empire. What do you think would work? And what would you be interested in?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:52 pm 

I for one love the idea of triple features or trailer-thons (I attended one last year), but there are some caveats. I live about 90 minutes away and if it starts too late, I tire a bit too early in the event. A 10 PM start time would be fantastic.

Also, along the same lines, the films should be quickly paced. I need adrenaline to stay up if I'm starting a marathon at night. Sucks getting old.

As to the genre, I would actually like to see you stay away from horror or sci-fi (unless something absolutely amazing and hard to get becomes available) because the regular marathons cover those quite well.

All that being said, I would try to support anything you guys do.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:28 am 

Two major marathon events a year are about my limit. In about twelve years of living in Philadelphia, I only missed one SciFi Marathon, which I think shows how much that particular event means to me. Travel, lodging, time off work for return travel and recovery - it was no small comittment.

I currently live much closer, which has gone a long way in my committing to the Horror Marathon as recently as last year.

The problem is, I'm a new father. I can't spend my time as selfishly as I used to. Once my daughter reaches a certain age, I'll start bringing her along to the marathons - and I'm really looking forward to that - but for now, a weekend away from her is sort of excruciating.

So here's where I stand with triple features and trailer-thons: They take almost as much dedication and time (for somebody who doesn't live right in Columbus) but with a much smaller payoff. And I don't just mean the number of films, but the crowd, the spirit, all of that. So I can understand why it might be a problem for a lot of people who are in a similar situation as myself.

One thing that would certainly get my attention would be if you guys developed a full 24 hour marathon event, say in the middle of summer, with a focus on heavy dramatic films. For example, Oscar winners and nominees. Turner Classic Movies does this every year around Oscar season, and I love it. That would absolutely be enough to get me committed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:39 am 

I'm really not a big horror fan. I'd rather see an event in another genre. I'd be all in for a comedy event, or for a Grindhouse event, or for the above mentioned serious drama event. But I have rearranged my schedule for sci fi -- this year made 13 1/2 sci fi marathons for me (I count the trailerthon as a half). I have been to one horror. So I may not be the person to ask about multiple horror events.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:49 am 

I'm in a not terribly dissimilar position to rustywoodenrobot.

This year was the first time in 25 years that I've missed the Sci-Fi marathon, which shows (I think) my commitment to the event. And even without being able to attend, I still came by to hang out for a bit (and deliver Girl Scout Cookies) before the marathon started.

My horror attendance has been more sporadic, missing a few years when I worked at the Ohio Renaissance Festival, and missing the past few years for either Halloween celebrations or for the Columbus Marathon (the running variety, not the movie kind).

So, I am deeply in love with the marathons, and I've done as many of the mini-events as I could, including last year's Shock-O-Rama.

The problem I see with the mini-marathons is exactly what was said before - they are almost as big a commitment as the full marathon, but without as much payoff - in crowds, in films, etc.

Attending the marathon has never been a huge issue in terms of it eating up my Saturday. That's one day, and overnight, my kids and wife don't really care where I am. The hard part has always been losing Sunday as well, and that still happens if I just go watch movies from 10p-4a.

I'd be more interested in other full marathons - with different themes - than I am in just the all-nighters. Which doesn't mean I won't attend the all-nighters if possible. I did make it to last year's Shock-O-Rama (although I left fairly early), and I've made it to previous trailerthons.

And I would love to see some real expansions of theme. They might be more niche-focused, but with enough advance notice, there could be a lot of interest in a solid 10-12 hour block around a solid theme. Consider that even major theatres are getting in on the game with the marathons that preceded the release of Star Wars: Episode VII or Avengers: Age of Ultron. If the Marathon Empire could have done an all-nighter showing Mad Max, Road Warrior, and Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome the week before the release of Fury Road, I imagine that interest would have ben immense.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:04 am 

SRCputt wrote:
I'm really not a big horror fan. I'd rather see an event in another genre. I'd be all in for a comedy event, or for a Grindhouse event, or for the above mentioned serious drama event

Ditto on not being a huge horror fan. However, having said that, last year's Horror Marathon was tons of fun, enough so that I've decided to keep going. I also like that it is scheduled in the fall, right around Halloween. It really sets the mood. It also makes the wait for the SciFi marathon more bearable.

By the way, the crowd at last year's Horror Marathon was impressive. It seems to be growing to rival the SciFi Marathon, which I think is great. Hopefully not only will it break the Columbus record of 8, as Joe mentioned, but continue going strong.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:23 pm 

I am always up for more Horror plus I would like to see more of the B and exploitation film all-nighters. Also a marathon with films like EXCALIBUR, DRAGONSLAYER and KRULL would be great.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:46 am 

In general, I have rather enjoyed the late-night mini-thons (yes, even Rockpocalypse). However, I do know there's a lot of cost and logistical issues to them if they don't end up bringing in a crowd (see the aforementioned Rockpocalypse).

I guess the big question is what would be the draw for a specific event. I'll be the first to say that the idea of seeing something on 35mm isn't necessarily a huge deal for me. In fact I'd be more interested in DCPs (or even Blu-ray rips to DCPs) of films that should be seen in an audience.

Of course, on the other hand, I love love love the trailers and shorts from Bruce's personal collection, so that's a huge plus for film projection in these events. With only a couple movies, this also opens up the schedule for more of that content, which I am a huge fan of.

I'll second AEinhorn's suggestion about themed lead-ups to other releases. Not sure what the rights situation that would have been required to show a Max Max marathon before the release of Fury Road last year, but that would sound like a lot of fun. Clearing the rights for hot item movies might be a challenge though. (But then again, if all you need to do is rip a Blu-ray to DCP, the overall cost would be less).

I think the big selling point for some things are the types of films to see with an audience. A late-night mini-thon with Turkish Star Wars, Infra-Man and some other goofy film would be a hoot, actually. When not in a line-up with The Man Who Fell to Earth and High-Rise, the audience might be more into participating. Or maybe a night of slasher films (like My Bloody Valentine, April Fools Day and Prom Night) that aren't going to play together at a horror marathon could work. Who knows?

So yeah, I love doing these things, and since I'm local, it's not a huge time commitment. As long as I'm free that weekend, it'd be fun.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:32 am 

kevincarr wrote:
Or maybe a night of slasher films (like My Bloody Valentine, April Fools Day and Prom Night) that aren't going to play together at a horror marathon could work. Who knows?

YES YES YES and more YES......

Show movies that Joe or Bruce wouldn't necessarily want to show at a Horror Marathon, we all know the marathons steer away from popular slasher films so why not give them their own event???

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:21 pm 

SRCputt wrote:
I'm really not a big horror fan. I'd rather see an event in another genre. I'd be all in for a comedy event, or for a Grindhouse event, or for the above mentioned serious drama event.

I think it was at last year's Horror Marathon that I took a survey about what I would like to see or something of that nature. I came up with a GREAT idea about different themed marathons. Mini-thons would be PERFECT to "test them out" on audiences, giving short doses, or samples, just to see how they would do. My ideas that I submitted on this survey were marathons with the theme of Fantasy, and I can't remember what else.... Children's movies? I think that mini thons geared towards Fantasy, Action, and mayyyybe Comedy (not a HUUGE Comedy fan) would work well. Also, how about mini-thons geared towards Horror films that have to do with certain holidays? There is so many holidays. Therefore, so many holiday themed Horror movies. Therefore, so many ideas for mini-thons!
For example,
New Year's Eve: New Year's Evil, Bloody New Year, Terror Train
St. Valentine's Day: My Bloody Valentine, Cupid and Valentine
St. Patrick's Day: all 6 of the Leprechaun movies
April Fool's Day: April Fool's Day, Killer Party, Scre4m (Watch it and you'll understand why)
Christmas: ........TOO MANY CHRISTMAS HORROR FILMS TO NAME!! LOL Silent Night Deadly Night, Krampus, Christmas Evil, Elves, etc. etc. etc.
You get the idea. Here is a link to more:
http://horror.about.com/od/horrorthemel ... horror.htm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:53 pm 

I'm with SRC & rustywood & Aaron.
I am not a horror fan. While I admit that horror has a definable market it does seem that there are many, many horror events.

If there were a program of three or four indie SF - or of classic SF films taken from any list of greats - I would probably make the drive. And bring a couple of people.

There's also a ton of new stuff out there. The Cleveland International Film Festival alone usually shows more than a dozen SF over its ten day run - and will do so starting at the end of this month.

The question is of course audience. Which means publicity as much as anything.

Also whether Joe or associates would find it fun or useful to do the work.

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:57 am 

I'm a huge horror fan - but have never attended any versions of the 24hr Horror Marathon --many reasons between, my SciFi Marathon crew not being into it, to my birthday falling on/around it, to my job interfering (Go Bucks!) etc.

Would love to attend a mini thon (and would do 3 movies by myself without issues or could convince some other friends to attend something shorter).

Other Genres again would be great - not mentioned yet - 70s Kung Fu! Put up some Shaw Brother's greatest hits (Yay VENOMS!) and it would be fun (at least for me) :)

I went to Trailer Trash and loved it! Was a great event (And I *still* haven't seen Little Cigars!) :(

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:51 am 

Topps wrote:

Other Genres again would be great - not mentioned yet - 70s Kung Fu! Put up some Shaw Brother's greatest hits (Yay VENOMS!) and it would be fun (at least for me) :)

(fingers crossed for a BRUCE LEE MARATHON!)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:55 am 

I'm in a similar boat to Aaron. If it was just the wife and I, I could probably get away with it. I have enough trouble working out the logistics for SciFi. Horror I have missed for several years now because of a variety of reasons including conflicts and not wanting to leave the wife with the 2, 3 or 4 year old. I might be able to sing one of these in the summer, because we could do Mass on Saturday evening and there is no PSR (Sunday School) to worry about. It is just she is used to me taking the kids on Sunday to give her the day to rest and I would be beat.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:35 pm 

I would like to see a "Teachers vs Student"

Class of 1984 (1982)
The substitute (1986
The Principal (1987)

And I am sure there are a few more