The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Upcoming Films - 2016
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:53 am 

I'm posting this here because Obscra doesn't really describe what I'm talking about.

Arrival is due out on Nov. 11, 2016 on IMAX. It's based on the Nebula Award winning novella Story of Your Life by author Ted Chiang and stars Amy Adams, Jeremy Renner and Forest Whitaker. Already had it's first release at the Venice Film Festival to good reviews. For the cast alone it looks interesting.

Lots of fantasy, all of which are getting enough PR money to choke a horse. I am enough of a sucker to probably go to see all of them.
Dr. Strange with Benedict Cumberpatch.
Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children. with Eva Green (who I like). Directed by Tim Burton.
Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them. Written by J.K. Rowling & dovetailing with her Potter universe.

Also lots of horror. I'll leave those to others.

Any small films that or other releases that anyone's aware of?

edit: I actually went & looked around for other listings. Found - - -
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story due out Dec. 16.
Passengers with Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt. due out Dec. 21.
The Circle With Tom Hanks & Emma Watson - No date. Probably not until 2017.
The BLOB! remake with Samuel Jackson. Announced for 2016, but you can bet it'll be later. Here's a link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpJWzLuT_vg
Avatar 2 Again. Announced for 2016. I have my doubts.
I'm sure that there are more.

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:13 pm 

pogo wrote:
Arrival is due out on Nov. 11, 2016 on IMAX. It's based on the Nebula Award winning novella Story of Your Life by author Ted Chiang and stars Amy Adams, Jeremy Renner and Forest Whitaker. Already had it's first release at the Venice Film Festival to good reviews. For the cast alone it looks interesting.

The cast is good, but I think you meant to say "for the director alone, it's guaranteed to be interesting and gripping".

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:15 pm 

pogo wrote:
Avatar 2 Again. Announced for 2016. I have my doubts.

Avatar 2 is currently planned for December 2018, but I sure wouldn't bet any money on that.
Cameron wants to release all 4 sequels on an annual basis, so it probably won't be until 2019 or 2020 that the first one is ready to roll out.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:32 pm 

Thanks cleazer. My source mentioning Av2 was old.
Almost everyone says 2018.
The exceptions agreeing with your healthy skepticism for even later.

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:01 pm 

Passengers is likely to be a big hit thanks to the star power of Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence. There were some questions about whether it would make it's planned Christmas release date due to some problems with a vfx house they're using, but the latest rumors are that a trailer is coming real soon. (Though the fact that there's still no trailer means a delay is still possible.)

Arrival is a movie a lot of cinephiles are looking forward to, because it's directed by Denis Villeneuve, the guy who directed both Prisoners and Sicario, both of which were utterly gripping and brilliant. Villeneuve is also directing the Blade Runner sequel for next October, and getting his usual collaborator Roger Deakins back for that one, so at the very least, you know the new Blade Runner is going to look brilliant (and should have some nice dark and rainy shots in it). Understandable if most folks have never heard of Roger Deakins, he's been nominated for a ton of Oscars but never won. I still think he deserved an Oscar for Prisoners a few years ago, though I'll admit Lubezki fairly and understandably won for the incredible looking Gravity. Check Deakins' credits here (link to imdb) and you'll see that he'll be perfect for Blade Runner.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:24 pm 

cleazer wrote:
Passengers is likely to be a big hit thanks to the star power of Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence. There were some questions about whether it would make it's planned Christmas release date due to some problems with a vfx house they're using, but the latest rumors are that a trailer is coming real soon. (Though the fact that there's still no trailer means a delay is still possible.)

Arrival is a movie a lot of cinephiles are looking forward to, because it's directed by Denis Villeneuve, the guy who directed both Prisoners and Sicario, both of which were utterly gripping and brilliant. Villeneuve is also directing the Blade Runner sequel for next October, and getting his usual collaborator Roger Deakins back for that one, so at the very least, you know the new Blade Runner is going to look brilliant (and should have some nice dark and rainy shots in it). Understandable if most folks have never heard of Roger Deakins, he's been nominated for a ton of Oscars but never won. I still think he deserved an Oscar for Prisoners a few years ago, though I'll admit Lubezki fairly and understandably won for the incredible looking Gravity. Check Deakins' credits here (link to imdb) and you'll see that he'll be perfect for Blade Runner.

You are right on the money about Villeneuve, but we cinephiles are also highly anticipating PASSENGERS because of the pedigree of director Morten Tyldum, who gained recognition for THE IMITATION GAME, but burst onto the scene earlier with the absolutely brilliant HEADHUNTERS, which the last time I checked was still streaming on Netflix. Check it out.

I thought NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN was finally going to be Deakins' Oscar coming out party, but he actually lost twice that year. His unfortunate streak is mostly due to bad timing, because who can argue against Robert Elswit's work in THERE WILL BE BLOOD for that year, and the loss to the aforementioned GRAVITY. I think his most egregious snub was for FARGO, which lost everything to the forgotten THE ENGLISH PATIENT. History will not be kind to all the Oscar praise laid on that one that year.