The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bittersweet ending
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:52 pm 

So how does everyone feel?

I know that's a silly and generic question, but I want to be serious for a moment.

Every year, the plane ride home gets longer and longer. For me, the anticipation of the marathon consumes my life for at least 2 months, maybe even 3. Well, the long ride home Sunday was a bittersweet and lonely time. I was on a giddy high from FLASH GORDON for a while and then when that wore off, life comes racing back in. I'm sure most of it is from missing my family, but it is also from knowing that I don't have the marathon to obsess about for a while. I hear a lot of fooball fans feel the same way immediately following the Super Bowl.

At any rate, Bruce mentioned at the marathon about how he wants more input from the loyal marathon throng. I couldn't agree more. To all you regular and semi-regular posters out there: let's keep in touch during the off season. It's obvious that Bruce wants to keep things going for a while. And the constant hawking of the T-shirts and mention of guests price tags lead me to beleive that the marathon needs all the support it can get, financially or otherwise.

Also a big ditto to the shout out given to Jen and Dave for keeping the website up and running.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:18 pm 

Well put. Work day is defintely longer today than most days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:47 pm 

Fine, you will draw me out of lurking. I've read nearly every day, but rarely post.

I too am already feeling the bittersweet ending of the marathon, especially since my wife was barely able to be there this year. (She saw the end of 12 Monkeys and the battle of the Spaceboys, then had to leave. She came back in time for the end of Star Trek and Flash Gordon).

Of course, we really only have half a year to wait, due to the Horror Marathon in October, but it's not the same...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:21 pm 

After a 6 hour car ride straight to work this morning (half day at least) I'll keep it brief. I too know the bittersweet crash that comes after the high of the marathon. I always worry about their future, especially when a completely kick-a** marathon like this one doesn't sell out. I noticed that I bought more concessions than usual and a T-shirt. I spent a lot more money than usual, and all of it was well spent. I'm happy though that I was able to recruit one newbie and another friend that hadn't been there since the Drexel North days. I'm happy to say that they stayed untlil 4am and want to come back to the horror marathon (please make it 24 hours).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:26 am 
Site Admin

I always get a little bummed after it's all over. But then again, it's all the more the impetus to go the next year....Plus, I do sneak off to a few anime conventions (like Otakon and A/X) that help feed my addiction between 'thons. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:55 pm 

Well, I guess the letdown isn't quite as rough for me, since it's about a 10 minute drive home, and I took Monday off to better recover/get back to normal sleep patterns.

Usually (and this year wasn't any different), I leave the Marathon happy, and looking forward to next year in a distant (yet not desperate) anticipation - it does a good job of scratching the itch for at least 6 months or so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:13 pm 

I always take a little time to "decompress" after the 'thon - in the form of lunch right afterwards, before we all split up to go our separate ways. It's a great opportunity for us all to discuss highlights of the event, talk about what we'd like to see next year, etc.

I think it helps with the post-marathon crash situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:18 am 

Quote:
always take a little time to "decompress" after the 'thon - in the form of lunch right afterwards, before we all split up to go our separate ways. It's a great opportunity for us all to discuss highlights of the event, talk about what we'd like to see next year, etc.

I think it helps with the post-marathon crash situation.

Yes, it's kinda like a support group. "Hi, my name is Carter and I am a marathoid."

(EVERYONE IN UNISON)
"Hi, Carter."

Hey, for what it is worth, I didn't go out for dinner at all. In fact, I had lunch, dinner, breakfast, AND snacks at the marathon. Sometimes I am guilty of leaving for dinner, but there just wasn't a good timeslot. I wanted to see every film.

I would like to see the return of the bottomless sci-fi coffee mug. I miss those! They always had nice designs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:24 pm 

I usually go out to eat and decompress but this year I had to get home to see my son's soccer game. I guess that's the price of getting older and more "mature".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:39 pm 

One of the ways I try to prolong the marathon experience is by going out the next day looking for DVD's of the films shown. Fire Maidens From (or of) Outer Space sits proudly on my shelf. Monday, I bought 12 Monkeys and Night of the Comet, and ordered Chopping Mall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:37 am 

I usually spend the next week telling co-workers and non-marathon friends about it, in the hopes of getting them to come the next year. And I post here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:56 am 

One way that I keep the marathon experience alive is by picking one marathon film to buy on DVD every year...this year it was "Frankenstein Meets the Space Monster" which I found online for about 6 bucks...it's on it's way!

Also, in the weeks previous to and immediately following the thon, I listen to "Brain in a Box - the Science Fiction Collection" ...if some of you haven't heard of this, it's a 5-CD box set which is AMAZING....it has movie and TV themes from all eras of Sci-Fi, Pop, Incedental and Lounge, and Novelty songs...113 tracks in all...and it's in the coolest package I've ever seen..a metal looking box with metal lid, with lenticular "hologram" panels on the sides so it looks like a a brain floating in liquid inside the metal housing...it also includes a hardcover book with the history of sci fi and great images, posters, etc. (I noticed a few of the songs from this collection playing between films this year, including "Creature with the Atom Brain") I believe this collection is out of print, but you can still get it online used and sometimes sealed and new! It's kind of pricey, but very worth it. I think I paid about 65 bucks for mine and it was new. I love it.

The "puking guy" in "Galaxy of Terror" haunts me even now. It will pop into my head and I'll just start laughing out loud without regard to where I am at the time. Is that wierd? Gems like that keep the 'thon experience alive for me.

Ryan
(Sanctuary)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:12 pm 

I’m another one of you that hunts down marathon movies that I don’t own after attending the ‘thon. This year’s proud inductees to my collection are King Dinosaur, The Great Yokai War, Frankenstein vs. the Space Monster, Night of the Comet … and Chopping Mall is being shipped as I post this. No luck finding Puzzlehead or Mindwarp … or an affordable copy of Flash Gordon. The cheapest I can find is a VHS version for $100. That’s a little too expensive for my taste.

By the way, anybody know how I can get my hands on a copy of The Monster Squad?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:25 pm 

MarathonVet wrote:
I’m another one of you that hunts down marathon movies that I don’t own after attending the ‘thon. No luck finding Puzzlehead or Mindwarp … or an affordable copy of Flash Gordon. The cheapest I can find is a VHS version for $100. That’s a little too expensive for my taste.

There are several copies of FLASH GORDON on ebay in the 30-50 dollar range also I few copies on Galaxy of Terror but no official U.S. release.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:17 pm 

What, Marathonvet?...No Automatons? hehe

If I'm ever tempted to buy Automatons on DVD I think I'll save $$$ and just twist a corkscrew into my frontal lobe.

As ar as I understand, Monster Squad has only been released on VHS and the DVD copies that had been selling on ebay were bootlegs. I don't know this for a fact, but I am a member of another forum which has discussed this and that seemed to be the concensus.

Flash (....AHHHH..AHHH! ) Gordon is very pricey... It's out of print, but it's rumored that a reissue is in the works, so it may be plentiful soon. There is a silver anniversary edition available but it's in another region, i think region 2 (which is still cool if you have a region free DVD player)

-Ryan
(Sanctuary)