The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:31 pm 

Reading a piece on the introduction of the Wah Wah pedal to music recordings. Lo and behold, one of the earliest examples in the recording studio was by Frank Zappa when he recorded the song "Spaceboy" for QUEEN OF BLOOD!

http://www.laweekly.com/music/50-years-ago-the-wah-wah-pedal-was-born-in-a-hollywood-hills-garage-7767475

Casher, who also invented the Fender Electronic Echo Chamber and worked on Roland’s first guitar synthesizer, was no mere hired gun. He was an aggressively creative musical explorer eager to take on any artistic challenge — including jamming with the most experimental L.A. band of the era, Frank Zappa’s Mothers of Invention. “I had a nice garage studio at my place in the Hollywood Hills,” Casher recalls. “One day, Frank Zappa knocks on my door and says, ‘I hear you have a good studio.’ I’m looking at him, with the beard and the hair, wondering who he was.”

Zappa was on assignment to do a song for Roger Corman’s 1966 sci-fi flick Queen of Blood, and he needed an out-of-this-world sound. “Frank brought [actor] Florence Marly in, she’s singing these really wild lyrics, ‘Space Boy, Space Boy, sex without soul,’ and I thought it’d go nowhere fast.

“I started overdubbing my parts, and Frank says, ‘Make it as spacey and weird as you can.’ So I got my oscillator out, and soon the sounds were whizzing by, really weird and wild. And then Zappa says, ‘Can I overdub the drums now?’ And I thought this wacko is going to screw up everything I just did. In one take, he did it, it was perfect. We hit it off, and he invited me to join his band.”

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:43 pm 

Look what I'm finally watching. Has this ever been screened at the 'thon?

Attachments:
Queen.jpg
Queen.jpg [ 69.36 KiB | Viewed 10174 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:02 pm 
Site Admin

Believe it or not, we've never shown QUEEN OF BLOOD! It's been on the short list for quite some time, but a lack of screenable elements got in the way for several decades. Although with some of the new tricks we've learned, we might be able to make the available digital elements work at some point down the road.