The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:34 pm 
Site Admin

The sleeper has awakened! And he has the film lineup!

Yes, it's FINALLY time! Here's the OFFICIAL FILM LINEUP for the mega-blowout 30th ANNIVERSARY OHIO 24-HOUR SCIENCE FICTION MARATHON (March 18-19 at the Drexel Theater)! We're proud to present:

-Producer Stephen Scarlata IN PERSON to present his passion project, the delirious documentary JODOROWSKY'S DUNE! You might remember Stephen from his appearance at last fall's SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK. We're proud to welcome him back with a project near and dear to him, one of the great films about filmmaking and madness!

-And as a companion piece, a rare BIG SCREEN showing of David Lynch's epic, wonderfully loony DUNE!

-The MIDWEST PREMIERE of director Nick DiLiberto's handmade animated opus NOVA SEED!

-Kevin McCarthy battling pod people in the all-time classic INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS!

-Donald Sutherland picking up the pieces 22 years later in the stone cold classic 1978 remake of INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS, in glorious 35mm!

-Jeunet and Caro's cult classic CITY OF LOST CHILDREN in glorious 35mm!

-David Cronenberg's psychic warfare spectacle SCANNERS!

-The long-delayed, often-cancelled, sci-fi/horror hybrid SLITHER!

-John Carpenter and Dan O'Bannon's stoneriffic spoof DARK STAR!

-Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, and Martin Freeman in Edgar Wright's energetic romp THE WORLD'S END!

-Rock Hudson in John Frankenheimer's chilling paranoia fable SECONDS!

PLUS!
-The 30th Anniversary Costume Contest (with $100 1st Prize)
-A galaxy of 35mm trailers and shorts!
-SPACEBOY!
-30th Anniversary cake!
-And many more anniversary surprises!

Tickets for this monumental celebration of cinematic excess are $40 in advance, $45 at the door. They're ON SALE at:

-The Drexel Theater (2254 E. Main St.)
-Laughing Ogre Comics (4258 N. High St., right next door to the dear, departed Drexel North)
-Via PayPal at http://www.scifimarathon.com

Blast off into the stars with us on March 18th! More to come!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:34 am 

Great lineup! With so many classics, I'm ashamed the only film on the list I've seen all the way through is THE WORLD'S END. I've heard great things about JODOROWSKY'S DUNE, and even though there seems to be a mixed reception/cult film status for DUNE, it's still been on my list for a long time. I ordered my ticket last night and I'll see you all there!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:13 pm 

Truly great line up! Wish I could make it this year.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:57 pm 

Wow, what a fantastic lineup!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:36 pm 

If anyone's interested, I made a YouTube playlist of trailers for all the films. I wasn't at the TERMINATOR/LADY TERMINATOR double feature, so I'm not sure what order the trailers played in at that event, or whether I picked the same trailers they did. The order isn't based on anything except my best stab at a schedule guess.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:20 pm 

Well well, you certainly have scratched the nostalgia itch for me, considering Dune was the first movie I ever watched at a marathon and the Invasion of the Body Snatchers duology was the year after that, and they both happen to be two of my favorites of the genre. I've actually never heard of Seconds (slap my wrist if you'd like) and it looks very intriguing.
Great lineup, can't wait.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:52 pm 

Seen all but Nova & Slither.
Heartily recommend the Dune documentary, It was the highlight of the Cleveland Marathon a couple (several?) years ago.
Definetely a coup, particularly with the director in attendance.
Several other excellent movies, although i'm an old kvetch, always hoping for something new.
More later.

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

Last edited by pogo on Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:10 pm 

I'm extremely pumped to make it this year. After missing both the sci-fi and the horror last year, due to medical reasons, I can't wait! I'm bringing my dad and brother along for the mayhem. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:07 am 

You can sort of gather my impression from the Lineup thread. I wouldn't have picked two of the films.
But I can say with absolute honesty that I prefer it to the Cleveland that was and the upcoming Boston.
Some great choices and a nice mix. At 30 :roll: the newbie is the best marathon.

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:07 pm 
Site Admin

The flier! Full-strength, two-sided version coming very soon to quality outlets near you!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:39 pm 

Joe Neff wrote:

The flier! Full-strength, two-sided version coming very soon to quality outlets near you!

Looks awesome. Love the fliers. Wish Chicago did those for ours, but we just get post cards-if anything. :(