The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:37 am 

The lineup has been announced, so of course now it's time to guess the schedule! Put in your best guesses for what order the films will play in. We all know there's that one perfect schedule that will please everyone and yet somehow they never manage to get it right! :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:39 am 

I'm not ready to make a full guess just yet, but I will say that I think INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS 1956 and 1978 will open and close the marathon, respectively. Also, I'm wondering whether DUNE will show before JODOROWSKY'S DUNE, or vice versa. I think I'd prefer DUNE first, but I can see an argument being made either way.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:18 pm 

Cronenburg always gets played in the middle of the night, right? Sadly, that's easy to predict.

Body Snatchers bookends make sense, but there's also an argument to be made for ending with The Worlds End. Seems like it would be a fun finisher. Especially since part of the movie is built around the idea of making it to the very end of an 11-movie event. (Or maybe it was pubs. Same thing.)

As for which Dune to play first, I think I'd prefer the regular Dune, followed by the crazy "what-could-have-been" version. That seems to make sense. Though I suspect Bruce and Joe will simply ask Mr Scarlata for his advice on which to play first, as I'm sure he's seen crowds experience both on the same day before, and knows how they react.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:30 pm 

cleazer wrote:
As for which Dune to play first, I think I'd prefer the regular Dune, followed by the crazy "what-could-have-been" version. That seems to make sense. Though I suspect Bruce and Joe will simply ask Mr Scarlata for his advice on which to play first, as I'm sure he's seen crowds experience both on the same day before, and knows how they react.

Good point, I forgot we'll have an expert witness in attendance. I guess the argument I could see for the other way around would be, "Here's what happened the first time they tried to make it," followed by a segue from Bruce, Joe, and/or Stephen Scarlata into, "And here's what got made after a troubled production." Either way, they should definitely play well together.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:32 pm 

INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1956)
THE WORLD'S END
NOVA SEED
DUNE
JODOROWSKY'S DUNE
SECONDS
DARK STAR
SLITHER
SCANNERS
THE CITY OF LOST CHILDREN
INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1978)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:27 pm 

INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1956)
DARK STAR
NOVA SEED
DUNE
JODOROWSKY'S DUNE
SLITHER
SCANNERS
CITY OF LOST CHILDREN
SECONDS
THE WORLD'S END
INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1978)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:32 pm 

I've never seen it (and therefore it's one of the films I'm most looking forward to finally seeing this March, after hearing about it for years), but is City of Lost Children the type of movie that would be much better served by playing while folks are still awake? Or is it something that can safely be shown in the middle of the night?

Is it subtitled? If so, it's gotta be before midnight.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:49 pm 

cleazer wrote:
I've never seen it (and therefore it's one of the films I'm most looking forward to finally seeing this March, after hearing about it for years), but is City of Lost Children the type of movie that would be much better served by playing while folks are still awake? Or is it something that can safely be shown in the middle of the night?

Is it subtitled? If so, it's gotta be before midnight.

Good point...maybe I would switch that movie with DARK STAR on my list.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:20 pm 

agentstinky wrote:
Good point...maybe I would switch that movie with DARK STAR on my list.

I was thinking the exact same thing when I looked at your list.

Flip those two and that just might be the actual schedule.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:53 pm 

Invasion of - - - (56)
Jodorowsky's Dune
Dune
City of Lost - - -
Nova Seed
Slither
Scanners
Seconds
World's End
Dark Star
Invasion of - - - (78)

Rationales:
Bookending the Invasions makes a lot of sense. Jamming them together would be nice for comparisons sake, but the feel and content are too similar even made 22 years apart. Comparison works just fine experiencing the second when when the first is a tired memory.
Jord should come early and just before Dune. You should really be wide awake to experience the sheer art & creativity of Jord--. Putting Dune after it will explain some of what might have been and will be enjoyable. Reversing the order would be a huge criticism of the epic and make you squirm for what you missed in the movie that was actually made.
City of Lost--- takes a lot of concentration. Any later and it would be lost to the audience.
Haven't seen Nova Seed. Would like to. Put it on when someone (me?) is awake.
Slither and Scanners are actiony blood fests. You like them and they'll keep your attention. You don't? Nap time.
Seconds is hard. It is so dry that many will hate it. And it certainly will lead to many snores. Actually it's not so much dated as an old fashioned drama. Can't really think of a placement that would suit its audience.
World's End? Didn't like it much. Withe Pegg's crew I expected to love it - and did through the first half.
Somehow can't see it affecting people in any special direction. Bury it toward the end?
Dark Star to wake people up & put them in good humor.Fogies & newbies should both be waiting for it.
And then the second Invasion to send them screaming into the streets.

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:05 pm 
Site Admin

This thread is always fun. And amusing. Perpetually intriguing to see whose guesses reflect their own personal tastes, and whose are stabs at what goes on in my mind (and that of my Marathon partner in crime.)

And that's all I'll say for now. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:47 pm 

Joe Neff wrote:
This thread is always fun. And amusing. Perpetually intriguing to see whose guesses reflect their own personal tastes, and whose are stabs at what goes on in my mind (and that of my Marathon partner in crime.)

And that's all I'll say for now. :wink:

As the scheduler for Boston....tell me about it!

I always love the comments I get about having such and such a movie at "dinner time" --- As if all 500 stomachs are going to be hungry at just that point in time and that a majority agree that their personal preference for the movie to skip out on will be shared by the masses!

And, of course, there's the eternal, "What to show at 4am" question! "Don't show MY movie in the middle of the night" vs. "PLEASE show that movie in the wee hours!"

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:11 pm 
Site Admin

Back in the days of the old INCREDIBLE 2-HEADED MARATHON horror all-nighters, we schedule FROM DUSK 'TIL DAWN for the 2006 event. In the weeks leading up to it, quite a few people asked for that film to play last so that they could leave early. I took great delight in making the announcement the week of that it would be playing first, partly out of a puckish sense of defiance, but also partly because I knew it would play really well with a wide awake audience (which it did.) But I still find those old requests pretty amusing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:59 pm 

Soooo, what would the week before the sci-fi marathon be without someone bugging for the schedule? :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:17 am 
Site Admin

Ask and ye shall receive!

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2045