The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:16 am 
Site Admin

I promise I'll be there this time. Promise!

So here it is, the Official Film Schedule for the 30th Anniversary Ohio 24-Hour Science Fiction Marathon! As always, showtimes are tentative and subject to change, depending on the whims of the space elders. And there'll be the usual cavalcade of shorts, trailers, etc. both new and old!

We're aiming to open the doors around 10:30am on Saturday morning, so we'll let you know if that changes between now and then. But it should give everyone more than enough time to get settled, catch up with old friends and enemies, and patronize their local concession stand. Also, we'll once again have commemorative coffee mugs on sale for $10, with a bottomless coffee refill option with them for an additional $5!

NOON - INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1956)

2:00 - THE CITY OF LOST CHILDREN in 35mm

The 30th Anniversary Costume Contest

5:00 - DUNE

8:00 - Stephen Scarlata presents JODOROWSKY'S DUNE (with post-screening Q&A)

10:30 - SECONDS

1:00 - The MIDWEST PREMIERE of NOVA SEED

2:30 - DARK STAR

4:00 - SCANNERS

6:00 - THE WORLD'S END

8:10 - SLITHER

10:00 - INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1978) in 35mm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:35 am 

Nice schedule!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:19 am 

Looks good.

Dare I get my hopes up that this is not the short version of Dune, it's one of the better longer versions?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:50 am 
Site Admin

cleazer wrote:
Looks good.

Dare I get my hopes up that this is not the short version of Dune, it's one of the better longer versions?

The original 1984 theatrical version is the only one available for official screenings, so that's the one we'll be showing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:26 pm 

Can't wait! I've made peace with the fact that I need to sleep through at least one movie per marathon (damn you aging!). I'd like to say I could wait until THE WORLD'S END, which is the only one I've seen, but DARK STAR is probably a more attainable goal. And what will probably actually happen is that I'll conk out against my will somewhere in the middle of SECONDS.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:01 pm 

I'm listening to the soundtrack for JODOROWSKY'S DUNE . It's is pretty cool. I can't wait to see all these. Most of them will be a first time watch for me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:17 pm 

agentstinky wrote:
Can't wait! I've made peace with the fact that I need to sleep through at least one movie per marathon (damn you aging!). I'd like to say I could wait until THE WORLD'S END, which is the only one I've seen, but DARK STAR is probably a more attainable goal. And what will probably actually happen is that I'll conk out against my will somewhere in the middle of SECONDS.

Don't give up before the event even starts, Agentstinky!

There's hope: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=823

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:19 pm 

L.A. Connection wrote:
agentstinky wrote:

I always refer a new marathoner? marathonoid? mara... er. attendee to your post of sage wisdom on staying up. I know it helped me the first time.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:25 pm 

Also, I hate to be that guy but will we see any info on Shock or mayhaps Shockorama???!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:43 pm 

This schedule works nicely! Psyched for this weekend! See you guys there!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:07 pm 

Jaglavak wrote:
L.A. Connection wrote:
agentstinky wrote:

I always refer a new marathoner? marathonoid? mara... er. attendee to your post of sage wisdom on staying up. I know it helped me the first time.

And, for the record, I made it through my 40th year of Marathoning in Boston in February, sleep free once again!

Review of this year's Boston Marathon: http://www.scifimarathon.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=18404#p18404

How to stay awake link: http://www.scifimarathon.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=823

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:43 pm 
Site Admin

Jaglavak wrote:
Also, I hate to be that guy but will we see any info on Shock or mayhaps Shockorama???!!

Well shucks, there might just be a liiiiiitle bit of info on the Horror Marathon.....maybe even a film title announcement.....maybe.....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:53 pm 

Really happy with this lineup! Good slot for City of Lost Children. Nice bumpers with Body Snatchers. Is it just me or is the costume contest being held much earlier this year than usual?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:02 pm 
Site Admin

rustywoodenrobot wrote:
Is it just me or is the costume contest being held much earlier this year than usual?

Nahhhh it's not just you! We usually try to have the costume contest after the third film, sometime in the late afternoon/early evening nexus. But DUNE's length forced our hand in moving it up a bit. Figured that closer to 8pm for contest like that might burn people out.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:46 am 

I'm sure that the folks wearing the most uncomfortable costumes will appreciate this. Speaking of the costume contest, I'm hoping it's epic. I personally have never had the guts/creativity to come up with anything good, but I have mad respect for those who do.