The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:30 pm 
Site Admin

It's finally here! The official film lineup for SF35! This year, we're finally making good on the promise of 1999's SF Marathon with a full-fledged, all-star-laden TIME TRAVEL blowout! Featuring:

-Rod Taylor in George Pal's mother of all time travel films, the H.G. Welles-inspired 1960 classic THE TIME MACHINE!

-And as a companion piece, H.G. Welles travels to modern day San Francisco, as Malcolm McDowell, Mary Steenburgen, and David Warner star in the uttterly delightful, oft-requested TIME AFTER TIME!

-Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd, Lea Thompson, and Crispin Glover in Robert Zemeckis's beloved 80's classic BACK TO THE FUTURE!

-Bruce Willis, Brad Pitt, and Madeleine Stowe in Terry Gilliam's haunting mind-bender 12 MONKEYS!

-PLUS! A rare screening of Chris Marker's legendary short film LA JETÉE, the inspiration of 12 MONKEYS!

-Keanu Reeves, Alex Winter, and George Carlin tripping their way through time in the ridiculously enjoyable, oft-requested BILL AND TED'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE!

-A rare 35mm screening of BENEATH THE PLANET OF THE APES, the radical second chapter of everyone's favorite time traveling humans vs. damned dirty apes saga!

-Hugh Marlowe in the 1956 Technicolor-drenched Cinemascope adventure WORLD WITHOUT END!

-THE LAST JEDI director Rian Johnson's highly acclaimed time traveling hitman epic LOOPER, with Bruce Willis and Joseph Gordon-Levitt!

-14th century travelers unstuck in time with the rarely screened 1988 cult classic THE NAVIGATOR: A MEDIEVAL ODYSSEY!

-Ethan Hawke in the underrated PREDESTINATION, a stellar Robert Heinlein adaptation and one of the great modern time travel films!

-John Hughes meets theoretical physics in the 4K restoration of the modern cult classic DONNIE DARKO!

PLUS!
-The 35th Annual Costume Contest (with $100 1st Prize)
-A galaxy of 35mm trailers and shorts!
-Legions of prizes and swag!
-And much, much more!

It all happens Noon March 10th-1pm March 11th at the Drexel Theater, a celebration of cinematic excess like no other!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:14 pm 

As I'm sitting there reading the list, I'm pretty impressed with the time theme, and then I get down to the bottom, and I'm thinking about how much I loved Predestination when I saw it. And then I see one more and it's Donnie effing Darko.

I certainly can't complain with the quality of these films. It's an impressive lineup.

Advice to folks here: avoid spoilers for Predestination.

Wish I could go to the whole thing this year, but it's the Crew's home opener (1:00pm), possibly for the last time ever, so I have to go to that. I'm thinking about showing up late at 4. We'll see.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:56 pm 

This looks like one of the best line-ups in recent memory.

If it is at all possible, I'll be there, with my daughter in tow.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:16 pm 

Wanna trade marathon lineups, Joe?

Boston (so far): SUPERMAN '78, NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD '68, WORLD WITHOUT END, FRANKENSTEIN '31, 7TH VOYAGE OF SINBAD & CLOSE ENCOUNTERS 3RD KIND

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:53 pm 

What is it with World Without End?
Not a bad period piece and it does set up the other Rod Taylor film, The Time Machine. It supports the time travel theme.
But it isn't anything special.
Cleveland, Ohio (Columbus) and Boston showing it all in the same year? Was there a special on an old print?

Cleazer's comment on Predestination is a little amusing. Spoilers?
It's based on one of the best known SF short stories ever printed. Heinlein's All You Zombies. complete with the ending.

Overall a nice mix, if a little familiar. I've seen all but one - and that's Donni Darko.
I've always appreciated Columbus throwing in a few new, local or wacked out flics to wake people up and broaden horizons.
But as Joe commented on another thread, well known pieces do seem to correlate with attendance.
I'll be there.

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:47 pm 

pogo wrote:
What is it with World Without End?
Not a bad period piece and it does set up the other Rod Taylor film, The Time Machine. It supports the time travel theme.
But it isn't anything special.
Cleveland, Ohio (Columbus) and Boston showing it all in the same year? Was there a special on an old print?

Both Marathons have a relationship with the Warner Archive. WORLD WITHOUT END is a title they recently put out on Blu Ray. Prints have been scarce for years. I met with Warner Archive folks and the title popped out to me so I helped get it booked in Boston. Ohio? Time travel theme.

So, a sort of coincidence, but more serendipity.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:31 pm 

BEST. LINEUP. EVER.

The idea of watching "The Time Machine" and "Time after Time" and "Back to the Future" is worth the price of admission alone. Then you factor in "Beneath the Planet of the Apes", "World without End", "12 monkeys" and "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure". The others I'm less enthused about, but willing to watch.

Plus, I've got a great costume for this year's contest. Going to try for a back-to-to back win.

Laugh hard, Run fast, Be kind. Live Long and prosper. May the force be with you.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:18 pm 
Site Admin

dsm913 wrote:
Plus, I've got a great costume for this year's contest. Going to try for a back-to-to back win.

You heard it here, folks! The gauntlet has been thrown down!