The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:52 pm 

bump. Never hurts to remind folks, and inform the newbies!

My Guide On How To STAY AWAKE all 24 Hours!

Been going to Marathons since...gulp...1979 and have never fallen asleep!

Tips:

1. GET SOME REST before the Marathon. Easier said than done sometimes, I understand. Particularly, if the Marathon starts at Midnight! But, do your best. Also, I start a Vitamin, Echinesia, Zinc pill-popping regimen the week before the Marathon to be as illness resistant as I can.

2. LIMIT CAFFEINE. One year, early on in my Marathon career, I thought popping No-Doz was a good idea. It wasn't. 3/4 of the way through, I thought I was having an ulcer right smack in the middle of DEMON SEED (that 'demon' was in my stomach!). More importantly, the constant ups and downs eventually catches up to you (same goes for excessive Sugar intake). Some folks have a higher built-up tolerence, but go easy.

3. Wear COMFORTABLE CLOTHES. That Klingon mask and paraphernalia might seem cool at noon, but by midnight, it likely won't. Also, a pillow or neck/back support might be in order.

4. EAT as LITTLE as possible. Again, early on, I looked forward to the Marathon as a 24 hour junk food party. Over the years, I have seen many many Marathoners "go down for the count" long before the finish line due to upset stomachs. Pizza, burritos, Chinese, Indian, Thai food are all favorites, but I would stay away from them. I eat a big breakfast. Then nibble, nibble, nibble all day and night with only 1 warm meal (usually just a chicken sandwich without fries, shakes or too many condiments). Maybe , something warm for breakfast. Otherwise, it's prezels, chocolate covered raisins, several Power/Energy bars and lots and lots of water. Boring? Yup, but this is SURVIVAL!!

5. GET UP AND MOVE AROUND!! I pop out of my seat after EVERY SINGLE MOVIE and move around. If you think to yourself, "Oh, I'll just grab a little 5 minute nap between movies" - you're likely a goner. That walk around will do you much more good than a 5 minute nap. Longer naps are another story (for wimps!), but this is about staying awake the whole 24.

6. PSYCH YOURSELF UP!! Come on, this is one (long) day a year! ONE! You can't get psychologically tuned up to stay awake one little night a year?! Think of all the cool movies and shorts you are going to see! All the bad puns and callbacks you'll hear! The fun you have reminicing with fellow Marathoners throughout the year! The pride and honor of being a 24 HOUR SURVIVOR! You CAN do it!! I ain't into any of that New Age mind over body holistic hooey - but, in this one instance, I think a LOT of what defeats Marathoners IS in their head. If you say to yourself, "That slow draggy movie at 4am is going to KILL ME" - then it will happen. Instead, repeat to yourself - "I will stay awake, I will!"

That's it. 6 simple rules to follow, and you can join the Android brigade like myself! You'll never miss a single ray gun shooting, alien attack, day for night scene, cheezy line of dialogue, CGI overloaded frame, vintage trailer or Bruce quip again!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:19 pm 
Site Admin

Dear L.A.,

You forgot one other foolproof method for staying awake for the entire event.

Love,

Heisenberg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:27 am 

Joe Neff wrote:

Dear L.A.,

You forgot one other foolproof method for staying awake for the entire event.

Love,

Heisenberg

Just make sure it's the blue stuff, yo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:52 am 

Keep your mind occupied. Bring stuff to do between films. Small distractions help to pass the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:30 pm 

Send txt messages, Tweet and update your facebook page often during the movies so the people around you can help keep you awake with polite suggestions on where you can stick that cell phone :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:23 pm 

I meant a NATURAL way to stay awake - and to be able to be in the right state of mind. :roll:

Nobody willing to take the challenge!??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:52 pm 

i am officially taking the challenge! I will be the first in line, and i will also stay awake the whole time for the first time in my marathon going years!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:29 am 
Site Admin

"Come on, this is one (long) day a year! ONE!"

What coast do you live on? Here in the heartland we do this two times a year! TWO!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:41 am 

Yeah, well try and stay awake for this ONE first - and then you can work on the horror in the fall!

:P

Wish I could be there! Have a great time everybody.

And, stay awake~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:37 am 

As I'm about to head out the door and stand in line I agree with the commander Bruce that we do this crazy thing for twice per year. I've sleep from 6pm to 12:30am, watch The Late Late Show, then went back to bed and awoken around 5am.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:13 am 

Did anyone out there make it through THIS marathon without sleeping a wink?

From the posts I've read, it doesn't sound like any of the posters made it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:11 pm 
Site Admin

When polled during the final intermission about 25-30 claimed to not have fallen asleep. The vibe in the auditorium during 2010 seemed to be attentive, so I assume that most of them went the distance, though personal consciousness can warp away from the collective quite easily at that point.

As for me, I briefly nodded off early during RICHARD GARRIOTT: MAN ON A MISSION (about 5 PM), but, as usual, I hadn't had a good night's sleep in several days leading up to the 'Thon. Once that stay awake monkey is off my back, I'm free to doze at will. Couldn't make it through that gorgeous print of BATTLE IN OUTER SPACE and dropped off again for about 15 minutes during the latter third of STAR TREK. The worst was during GALAXINA. I was up in the office copying the Certificates of Marathoid Behavior, but the metallic paper was making things too hot and the ink was coming off on the rollers, so I had to print one at a time. S l o w l y. Falling asleep between copies. What should have taken about five minutes took two hours. Torture, but maybe better than sitting through GALAXINA again at that hour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:22 pm 

Bruce, It's good to hear from you and it's also cool to get some insight on what goes on while we are enjoying the movies. :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:18 am 

L.A. Connection wrote:
Did anyone out there make it through THIS marathon without sleeping a wink?

From the posts I've read, it doesn't sound like any of the posters made it.

The lack of anything energetic for the first 12 hours ruined it for me. I nodded off briefly during the Godzilla movie, and unfortunately snoozed through about half of the gorgeous print of Battle in Outer Space. Star Trek was a nice dose of energy, but Galaxina knocked me out. I managed to stay awake throughout the final film, as I always do. It feels like a waste of time to sleep during the last movie to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:19 am 

This is the first year I know I dozed off. Battle in Outer Spce did me in as well. I think it was maybe 10 minutes or so, but happened twice, I think.