The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:42 pm 

Schedule:
Friday, January 17th
8:00pm: Alita: Battle Angel (2019, PG-13, TBA)
10:35pm: Honey, I Blew Up the Kid (1992, PG, TBA)

Saturday, January 18th
12:15AM: SURPRISE 1 (???, PG, TBA)
2:15AM: Avatar (2009, PG-13, TBA)
5:15AM: Battle Beyond the Stars (1980, PG, TBA)
7:25AM: Aelita: Queen of Mars (1924, NR, TBA)
9:20AM: SURPRISE 2 (???, PG, TBA)
11:30AM: The Man Who Fell to Earth (1976, R, TBA)
2:05PM: Cowboy Bebop: The Movie (2001, R, TBA)
4:15PM: SURPRISE 3 (???, R, TBA)
6:15PM: La Jetee (1963, NR, TBA)
6:45PM: Twelve Monkeys (1995, R, TBA)
9:15PM: The Dead Don't Die (2019, R, TBA)
11:15PM: Blade Runner (Final Cut) (1982, R, TBA)
30$. 25$ in advance

I could comment on the less than overwhelming schedule.
However, as a friend suggested, if you want to be whelmed you probably shouldn't expect it to happen at three in the morning.
I always have hopes for the surprises. On occasion they have been impressive.
The guarantee is that they couldn't be worse than The Nutty Professor. , a choice last year.
Here's a link http://films.cwru.edu/sfmarathon45 for purchase and other information. More info should show up soon on that website soon.

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:30 pm 

56 views and no comments?
Anyone coming?
The predicted weather looks better tan last year.

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:09 pm 

I'd like to go, but then I wanted to go last year.

Last year, my Dad went into the hospital the week before the marathon.

This year, we're headed to New Orleans for a dance competition for my daughter.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:24 am 

The surprises were:
Earth Girls Are Easy
Soylent Green &
Escape From LA.

I guess that I am getting jaded. I can remember enjoying Soylent, but now it seems sour and vicious.
Earth Girls is one of my favorite movies, but I have seen it so many times that I decided to sleep. Then I couldn't.
The charm and the humor kept me awake - to my enjoyment.

I had never seen Escape. Another movie about urban everything burning was hard to get into. Perhaps if they had even a single character in the movie who wasn't a stereotype?
Both Alita & Cowboy Bebop were more fun. Believability has no part in a dystopian action film, but even CGI and manga films need more than action. Each had humor, pacing, and some attention to character - and I actually started to look forward to the next conflict during each movie.

I like most 50s SF, but Battle Beyond The Stars was deader than the zombie movie.

The Dead Don't Die sadly lost steam the longer it ran. Great deadpan start (it does star Bill Murray). But with him, Adam Driver, Tilda Swinton, Tom Waits, Steve Buscemi, Danny Glover, Rosie Perez, Carol Kane, Chloe Sevigny, Selena Gomez and several others you have heard of it was amazingly lifeless, even for a zombie movie.

The rest of the the list. Honey ws actually charming.
La Jetee/12 Monkeys outstanding,
Avatar, Blade Runner, The Man Who Fell to Earth you've probably all seen. If you haven't, I would give them a 9, a 10, and a 3 1/2.
Post if you disagree.
My cohort actually left before Blade Runner, valuing getting home more than another (5th? 6th?) viewing. It remains the most atmospheric movie of all time. The makers of the sequel tried to duplicate that feel, but came across with less than the original.

No Columbusards in attendance. A shame but certainly understandable after last years great weather - and that crew having previously seen most of the films.

Aelita, Queen of Mars was exactly as coherent as one would expect from a 1924 silent Soviet adventure - complete with workers' revolt.
Jeff Rapsis warned us before the performance that we should go for the images because if we tried to follow the story it would not go well.
Then Jeff played an outstanding accompaniment to the movie on his instrument.
What he does goes far beyond simple organ music, achieving swells, crescendos and special effects that are art forms in themselves. He is playing at the Columbus (& Boston) Marathons this year. Do not miss him.

Hope to see you next year.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:50 pm 

I really wanted to attend, but was busy being in New Orleans with my family.

I'm hoping to get back to CWRU next year.