The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: This year's shorts
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:35 pm 

Joe, I think you may have a new regualr short for the horror marathon, I loved Ed Helms in American Zombie. He was always one of my favorite interviewers on the Daily Show and he did a great job here.

Despite the blasphemers in the back, there is only one true Spaceboy and it does not have anyone faling off roofs. The new one wasn't bad, but is one of those I might enjoy seeing every ten years or so.

Has Gravity been transfered over to DVD? It look liked projection to me, but I'm no expert on the subject. The contrast seemed bad. The film in spots always was a bit dark/shadowy, but it seemed worse this year.

Duck Dodgers was great and the Tom and Jerry was a nice addition. I hope some year we might get another of the extended trailers for something like Transformers like we did for ID4 all those years ago. I was sad we did not get a NYmphoid Barabarian, Scanner, or Banzai trailer, but I didn't miss them as much as I thought I would. I left the marathon very happy this year.

Last edited by Dennis on Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:15 pm 

GRAVITY is definitely a video projection. Bruce will have to answer with details, but I think that the film print they had kind of fell apart some years ago. I remember it wasn't shown at the first marathon I attended, I think because of print damage.

The Tom and Jerry one was painful. I tend to think it was one that was made for television long after Hanna/Barbera and even Chuck Jones had left MGM. The animation was dire and the gags were recycled from better toons. I won't miss it should it not come back.

DUCK DODGERS is a no-brainer. Classic.

Keep SPACE BOY (original). It's an experience available only at the Columbus Marathon and should stay around until the print falls apart.

AMERICAN ZOMBIE should definitely find a spot at the next Horror Marathon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:45 am 

I saw ZOMBIE AMERICAN at a festival last fall and when FIDO was announced as a premeire, I knew it would fit in nicely before that. I'm glad Bruce was able to track it down. I was very pleased with the amount and quality of shorts and trailers that were squeezed in. I wouldn't have missed the German TV FLASH if SLITHER had shown up and been played.

And yes, the "new" SPACEBOY was stupid and forgettable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:36 pm 

Tom and Jerry can bite the dust. I'd much rather see Bugs Bunny and Marvin the Martian duke it out. ("where's the ka-boom?")

Classic Spaceboy is so ridiculous it should be kept. New Spaceboy, not so much.

I love seeing the old serials. The 2 Flash Gordons were a nice touch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:46 pm 

"Gravity" and "Zombie American" were both excellent. I've actually never seen "Gravity" before (I was a marathon newbie this year). I was wondering who Big Sister in the Hall of Fame was. Both definitely get big thumbs up from me.

Am I missing something with "Spaceboy"? I wasn't a big fan of the new one, but I definitely don't get the old one. Is it just a tradition now or did I just hallucinate something bad in its place?

And oh yeah, go check out my new film blog, GarageSaleCineaste

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:35 pm 

GRAVITY and SPACEBOY(the original one) are great!!!

I think we need to bring CHUB CHUBS back and where was LOAF?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:53 pm 

Wasn't able to make it this year. Was Pixar's new sci-fi short LIFTED shown? I heard through the grapevine that Pixar loaned a print to a special event this month in the Midwest. If the Drexel marathon was passed over, too bad- it would've been a perfect fit... in any case it's supposed to be on the front of Ratatouille, which hits theaters in late June.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:16 pm 

Astral Projection wrote:
Wasn't able to make it this year. Was Pixar's new sci-fi short LIFTED shown? I heard through the grapevine that Pixar loaned a print to a special event this month in the Midwest. If the Drexel marathon was passed over, too bad- it would've been a perfect fit... in any case it's supposed to be on the front of Ratatouille, which hits theaters in late June.

Sadly, it didn't screen during the marathon. Too bad too. Would have definitely been a lot of fun.

And oh yeah, go check out my new film blog, GarageSaleCineaste

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:48 pm 

This was my third year at the marathon, and two of the things I always look forward to are Gravity and Spaceboy. Keep showing those every year, they're classics!

I would have also liked to have seen Chub Chubs. We showed them the last two years, and I missed it this year.

I loooved Zombie-American and would like to see that played again, even though the marathon won't be Zombie themed.

Duck Dodgers was also a classic, and I enjoyed Tom & Jerry too. I don't think that same Tom & Jerry needs to return, but it would be nice to see another Looney Tune or some sort of Hanna-Barbera cartoon in its place.

I must admit, I did feel the amount of utterly ridiculous trailers was lower this year. It'd be nice to see another Nymphoid Barbarian or Voyage of the Rock Aliens. Or heck, maybe even a The Apple trailer! Those kind of trailers are typically highlights of the marathon for me.

In general though I was very satisfied. Another successful year, so congratulations!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:35 pm 

Gravity is great. And Zombie American is worth seeing again.

But I just don't find Spaceboy funny. And I know I'm not the only one. I don't mind it that much since it's only 5 minutes or whatever, but it's a wasted 5 minutes in my book.

I'd rather see ChubChubs every year instead of Spaceboy.

And yeah, I know the argument is that there's always newbies every year who haven't seen Spaceboy, but there's also old veterans who are bored out of their wits waiting for it to end every year.

Plus, if is was skipped one year, it might be just that much more appreciated the next year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:44 am 

Comix8 wrote:
Am I missing something with "Spaceboy"? I wasn't a big fan of the new one, but I definitely don't get the old one. Is it just a tradition now or did I just hallucinate something bad in its place?

Tradition. It got introduce during the trailerthon a few years back and some of us find its pretentious effort to create art hilarious. The fact that the actors look a bit like Phyllis Diller and a slightly pudgy Robert Redford helps. As I said elsewhere, I found it funny at first, then not funny then funny again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:35 am 

Spaceboy is a MUST for the marathons. It's insanely ridiculous and if you don't like it, get over it-it's only 5 minutes long. Gravity is another classic but after 20 years, I don't really care if I miss it some years (I did this year). Although I do think it would be nice if the classic shorts are printed on the schedule or at least announced at the beginning for those of us who don't want to miss them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:29 pm 

MEATFETISH wrote:
...Although I do think it would be nice if the classic shorts are printed on the schedule or at least announced at the beginning for those of us who don't want to miss them.

I 2nd. Maybe they get slipped in or cut based on time, and aren't scheduled as rigidly, but knowing when the shorts were meant to play would definitely affect how I managed my breaks.

I thought this years shorts were great. No Chub Chubs :( but I'm guessing it'll be back. Missed Tom and Jerry, so I can' t comment on that. The new Spaceboy was entertaining, but won't replace the original. Might be hard to justify Zombie-American in future 'thons, depending on content, but it was a winner for sure. I'd love to see a return of "They're Made Out of Meat."

As for the quality/format of Gravity, weren't we presented with a nice, clean print by the creators when they were our special guests a few years back (one of the Riffe Center years)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:34 pm 

I also miss seeing "A TRIP TO THE MOVIES" that was great back in the old Drexel North days!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:53 pm 

New Spaceboy was on the long-side, and kind of slow/boring, but I'll taking watching that 1,000 times over watching old Spaceboy. MAN, is that a terrible bit. I noticed for the first time this year that Frank Zappa did the music... and he instantly fell several notches in my book. I'd love for Spaceboy to take a long walk off a short pier... but in the meantime, I'll just keep making my food-run then.

American Zombie was excellent, but I don't know that I'd want it to be an every year thing. Fits in well when zombie movies are showing at least.

Gravity is a classic. I miss the film version, but the video projection works fine. Duck Dodgers is also a must.

Tom & Jerry was OK, but I'd rather rotate-in other classic sci-fi themed cartoons then keep showing this one. There's lots of other options out there.

I missed ChubChubs this year as well.

The Flash Gordon serials were great. Would've liked to see even more of them. The theater serial was a lot better than the TV episode, but both were good stuff.