The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: From bad to worse
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:32 am 

USA canceled THE DEAD ZONE and 4400 and as if that wasn't bad enough I just found out Keanu Reeves is starring in the "The Day the Earth Stood Still" remake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:56 am 

AAAAARRRGGGHHHH!
3 times AAAARRRGGGHHHH!
I still haven't seen "I am Legend" with Will Smith. I'm afraid. but not as afraid as I am of Keanu.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:56 am 

I Am Legend is actually pretty good. Smith is much more subdued than usual, as befitting the character. I think it's by far the best performance of his (at least that I've seen). It could have been a lot worse!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:55 pm 

I am Legend is excellent, despite some distractingly bad special effects. It's very emotionally engaging and worthy future marathon fodder (but not this year).

It looks like another Sci-Fi themed show will also not make it back after the writer's strike: Journeyman. I really liked this show, I thought it was a fresh take on an old theme. I won't miss Bionic Woman which also is on the fence.

I never started on the 4400 or Zone, I heard they were good, though.

Oh well, this spring will still bring us at least a partial season of Lost along with BSG and Eureka on the Sci-Fi channel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:27 pm 

IamJacksUserID wrote:
I am Legend is excellent, despite some distractingly bad special effects. It's very emotionally engaging and worthy future marathon fodder (but not this year).

It looks like another Sci-Fi themed show will also not make it back after the writer's strike: Journeyman. I really liked this show, I thought it was a fresh take on an old theme. I won't miss Bionic Woman which also is on the fence.

I never started on the 4400 or Zone, I heard they were good, though.

Oh well, this spring will still bring us at least a partial season of Lost along with BSG and Eureka on the Sci-Fi channel.

Journeyman is a great show so therefore it must be canceled!! Not sure why networks think that way but they do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:01 am 

****Slight Spoiler****

I liked I am Legend as well, though I like Omega Man better. They 28 Days latered the infected victims and while they hinted at the fact they were not as mindless as they seem, they never gave that story any depth. Part of what was so chilling about the Omega Man was the fact that Matthias and his family clearly decided they no longer wanted to be human. In this version, you don't get the same feeling of rejection of humanity at the end. There were a couple things like that, which were hinted at, and because I had seen the other two films, I fleshed them out a bit more in my mind as I was watching them. However, they were likely lost on anyone who hadn't seen the earlier movies.

Can't wait for Lost and BSG, though I am sad that this will be the last season of the latter. Unless something changed that I missed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:33 am 

I liked Journeyman. (I miss Quantum Leap and Sliders, so it was a good replacement.) Too bad we're not even going to get a full season of it.

Has the final episode already aired?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:56 pm 

The last filmed episode aired the week before Christmas. The last five minutes or so were rewritten before the impending strike to give some closure to the shortened series. A few but not all questions were answered, revelations intended for the spring finale. As of right now, the show is not officially cancelled, but the deadline for renewal has expired, meaning the actors are free to seek other employment. Not that there is much work for anybody in Hollywood right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:11 am 

So far the new Terminator show has been pretty entertaining.
There's hope for sci-fi on tv yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:57 am 

I'm amazed so many gave I Am Legend a thumbs up. The book is one of my all time favorites, and I can't help but feel like they raped it.

Once you have completely changed a story, it becomes a DIFFERENT story. In that case, name it something else and leave the classic alone.

The best adaptation of I Am Legend (the book), is The Last Man On Earth Is Not Alone with Vincent Price, although I still don't feel like it does this excellent book quite enough justice, but it really tries to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:09 am 

I agree I just rewatched Last Man on Earth again after reading the book. I was quite pleasantly surprised at how close to the book it was. I have not seen the Will Smith version so I can't comment on it.