The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:46 am 

Here is some ore tips

The consessions at the Gateway is split into two areas. The normal fare in witch popcorn candy soda is sold a one part of the stand and the subs, appitizers, booze, pizzas are sold near the bar section of the consession stand. All prices (except for the booze) are well under 10 dollars. Heck at the cafe area they sell soad in 16oz cups for $1.50. ( That is cheap for movie soda)

The seats are comfy. Since this is a new theater. There is tables and chairs. If you want to take a break.

There is an 24 HR 7-11(last time i check) near by if you need to get battries or other misc itmes. Remember support the consessions. (note to the veggies there is plain cheese pizza a garden burger, reg. fries and sweet potato fries.

Sometimes they sell soup. Gateway is an upscale theater.

This year, I will try to control my laughing when space boy is on the screen. I am the guy who have the out of control laughing. I sorry that is the most funniest sci fi short I have ever seen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:44 pm 

My Guide On How To STAY AWAKE all 24 Hours!

Been going to Marathons since...gulp...1979 and have never fallen asleep!

Tips:

1. GET SOME REST before the Marathon. Easier said than done sometimes, I understand. Particularly, if the Marathon starts at Midnight! But, do your best. Also, I start a Vitamin, Echinesia, Zinc pill-popping regimen the week before the Marathon to be as illness resistant as I can.

2. LIMIT CAFFEINE. One year, early on in my Marathon career, I thought popping No-Doz was a good idea. It wasn't. 3/4 of the way through, I thought I was having an ulcer right smack in the middle of DEMON SEED (that 'demon' was in my stomach!). More importantly, the constant ups and downs eventually catches up to you (same goes for excessive Sugar intake). Some folks have a higher built-up tolerence, but go easy.

3. Wear COMFORTABLE CLOTHES. That Klingon mask and paraphernalia might seem cool at noon, but by midnight, it likely won't. Also, a pillow or neck/back support might be in order.

4. EAT as LITTLE as possible. Again, early on, I looked forward to the Marathon as a 24 hour junk food party. Over the years, I have seen many many Marathoners "go down for the count" long before the finish line due to upset stomachs. Pizza, burritos, Chinese, Indian, Thai food are all favorites, but I would stay away from them. I eat a big breakfast. Then nibble, nibble, nibble all day and night with only 1 warm meal (usually just a chicken sandwich without fries, shakes or too many condiments). Maybe , something warm for breakfast. Otherwise, it's prezels, chocolate covered raisins, several Power/Energy bars and lots and lots of water. Boring? Yup, but this is SURVIVAL!!

5. GET UP AND MOVE AROUND!! I pop out of my seat after EVERY SINGLE MOVIE and move around. If you think to yourself, "Oh, I'll just grab a little 5 minute nap between movies" - you're likely a goner. That walk around will do you much more good than a 5 minute nap. Longer naps are another story (for wimps!), but this is about staying awake the whole 24.

6. PSYCH YOURSELF UP!! Come on, this is one (long) day a year! ONE! You can't get psychologically get yourself tuned up to stay awake one little night a year?! Think of all the cool movies and shorts you are going to see! All the bad puns and callbacks you'll hear! The fun you have reminicing with fellow Marathoners throughout the year! The pride and honor of being a 24 HOUR SURVIVOR! You CAN do it!!

That's it. 6 simple rules to follow, and you can join the Android brigade like myself! You'll never miss a single ray gun shooting, alien attack, day for night scene, cheezy line of dialogue, CGI overloaded frame, vintage trailer or Bruce quip again!! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:19 pm 

Good tips all around.

My basic rule of thumb for staying awake has always been this: Don't plan on falling asleep. If there is a movie playing at 4AM that you don't really want to see, try and stay up anyway. I have found that if I plan "naps," I usually sleep more than I want to during movies I really wanted to see. Once you start to sleep, you'll never go back.

And by all means, drive carefully on the way home after being up all night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:10 am 

Good advice L.A. I have started my Echinacea/vitamin regimen. I missed out on the first Studio 35 horrorthon due to the onset of a nasty stomach bug. I would hate to miss another one, or be a major germ factory in a room full of innocent bystanders

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:19 pm 

Since there is a Cafe next to the theater, just go to the right and you will see a hallway. That is where you enter to the Cafe and restrooms. Limit yourself of the junk food. There is a Cafe that serve real food.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:24 pm 

OK, all you budding Androids!!

Just a few days to go!

Time is NOW to start your Vitamin Loading!

Time is NOW to start getting decent nights of sleep!

Time is NOW to start repeating to yourself, "I Can Stay Awake for 24 Hours! I Can Stay Awake for 24 Hours!"

I expect to read SEVERAL posts next week from folks who "made" it all 24 without sleeping!!

None of this, "Why is 1984 on in the middle of the night, I'll never stay awake for it" baloney! 1984 showed around that same time in Boston, and it was a PERFECT time to show it!! All the wimps were sound asleep, so you could enjoy this terrific film.

You CAN do it!!

L.A. Connection wrote:
My Guide On How To STAY AWAKE all 24 Hours!

Been going to Marathons since...gulp...1979 and have never fallen asleep!

Tips:

1. GET SOME REST before the Marathon. Easier said than done sometimes, I understand. Particularly, if the Marathon starts at Midnight! But, do your best. Also, I start a Vitamin, Echinesia, Zinc pill-popping regimen the week before the Marathon to be as illness resistant as I can.

2. LIMIT CAFFEINE. One year, early on in my Marathon career, I thought popping No-Doz was a good idea. It wasn't. 3/4 of the way through, I thought I was having an ulcer right smack in the middle of DEMON SEED (that 'demon' was in my stomach!). More importantly, the constant ups and downs eventually catches up to you (same goes for excessive Sugar intake). Some folks have a higher built-up tolerence, but go easy.

3. Wear COMFORTABLE CLOTHES. That Klingon mask and paraphernalia might seem cool at noon, but by midnight, it likely won't. Also, a pillow or neck/back support might be in order.

4. EAT as LITTLE as possible. Again, early on, I looked forward to the Marathon as a 24 hour junk food party. Over the years, I have seen many many Marathoners "go down for the count" long before the finish line due to upset stomachs. Pizza, burritos, Chinese, Indian, Thai food are all favorites, but I would stay away from them. I eat a big breakfast. Then nibble, nibble, nibble all day and night with only 1 warm meal (usually just a chicken sandwich without fries, shakes or too many condiments). Maybe , something warm for breakfast. Otherwise, it's prezels, chocolate covered raisins, several Power/Energy bars and lots and lots of water. Boring? Yup, but this is SURVIVAL!!

5. GET UP AND MOVE AROUND!! I pop out of my seat after EVERY SINGLE MOVIE and move around. If you think to yourself, "Oh, I'll just grab a little 5 minute nap between movies" - you're likely a goner. That walk around will do you much more good than a 5 minute nap. Longer naps are another story (for wimps!), but this is about staying awake the whole 24.

6. PSYCH YOURSELF UP!! Come on, this is one (long) day a year! ONE! You can't get psychologically get yourself tuned up to stay awake one little night a year?! Think of all the cool movies and shorts you are going to see! All the bad puns and callbacks you'll hear! The fun you have reminicing with fellow Marathoners throughout the year! The pride and honor of being a 24 HOUR SURVIVOR! You CAN do it!!

That's it. 6 simple rules to follow, and you can join the Android brigade like myself! You'll never miss a single ray gun shooting, alien attack, day for night scene, cheezy line of dialogue, CGI overloaded frame, vintage trailer or Bruce quip again!! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:59 am 

LOL. Great pep talk!

1984 can't be worse than Automatons and I lived through that by sheer force of enjoying other peoples heckling.

Although I must admit to almost nodding off last year during "Galaxy of Terror" and probably would have if not for the scenes of live action Hentai.

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:23 am 

Well just eat lunch around 11-1pm and dinner 5-7pm and you will be good. Popcorn and soda for the night time snack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:59 am 

I'll be watching Automatons Friday to start building my tolerance for slow (and in this case boring) movies that make you want to sleep.

(Crap, I just admitted that I own Automatons)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:16 pm 

MarathonVet wrote:
I'll be watching Automatons Friday to start building my tolerance for slow (and in this case boring) movies that make you want to sleep.

(Crap, I just admitted that I own Automatons)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:56 pm 

Its out on DVD? Where can I get a copy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:34 pm 
Site Admin

http://www.monsterpants.net/automatons/main.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:01 pm 

hutch wrote:
LOL. Great pep talk!

1984 can't be worse than Automatons and I lived through that by sheer force of enjoying other peoples heckling.

Although I must admit to almost nodding off last year during "Galaxy of Terror" and probably would have if not for the scenes of live action Hentai.

:lol:

1984 is very good. But, it is slow and very very dark and depressing. 2/3 of the Boston audience was out cold in the wee hours.

Let's go, folks!! Start thinking, "I CAN STAY AWAKE FOR 24 HOURS, I CAN STAY AWAKE FOR 24 HOURS...."

[/u]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:43 pm 

I can't wait to see Lady Terminator again. I love bad 80 sci-fi/horror flicks.