The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 11:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:45 am 

Quote:
Campus Partners ends Drexel's stint as Gateway theater manager
Business First of Columbus - by Matt Burns Business First

The owner of South Campus Gateway is ending its management agreement with the Drexel Theatres Group, which runs the North High Street complex's eight-screen cinema, Campus Partners for Community Urban Redevelopment Corp. said Tuesday.

Campus Partners, an Ohio State University-established redevelopment organization, said its management agreement with Drexel, which also operates theaters in Grandview Heights and Bexley, will run out at the end of February. A new manager is expected to be selected soon.

Drexel President Jeff Frank said the company's contract, signed more than four years ago, was up for renewal and it agreed in negotiations with Campus Partners to end the relationship.

FULL ARTICLE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:50 am 

(sigh)

I do have to admit part of me prefers the Grandview. I like having the facility to ourselves, but I also like the seating, sound, etc at the Grand and Gateway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:03 am 

Dennis wrote:
(sigh)

I do have to admit part of me prefers the Grandview. I like having the facility to ourselves, but I also like the seating, sound, etc at the Grand and Gateway.

I agree, The Grandview is a nice theater with lots of atmosphere which was fine when I was in my 20's but now that I am closer to 40 I prefer the comfortable seating at the Gateway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:04 pm 

Damn, I really liked the new theater. The seating was very comfortable for 24 hours, the parking was more than adequate, and restrooms were big.

I wonder if this is going to cause a delay in any announcement about an official date for this year's marathon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:36 am 

I was thinking the same thing. I don't have to travel any more, but I do have work issues that bleed into weekends sometimes, so it is easier knowing the date several months ahead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:23 am 

Made the Other Paper's Ups and Downs.

http://www.theotherpaper.com/top2-7/upsdowns.html

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:03 pm 
Site Admin

From our old friend Melissa Starker's blog:

http://www.columbusalive.com/?sec=blogs ... Beautiful/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:58 am 

Can we go back to the Arena Grand. That was a great theater with a Ben & Jerry's next door.

:)>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:34 am 

Well, the problem is the Drexel does not manage that theater anymore either. Granted we have had Sci-Fi marathons in non-Drexel locations (Vern Riffe & The Continent), so I guess it isn't out of the realm of possibility.

I wouldn't mind the Vern Riffe, except I found the food and drink rules cumbersome. Waiting in line inside had its definite plusses, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:50 pm 

Well, at this point there is no official word about anything. For all we know, they may make arrangements with the new owners to keep us in the Gateway. I for one am very disappointed about things being uncertain again. It seemed as if a more or less reliable "regular" schedule was on track last year and now hear we go again.

The Grandview has its charm, but having it in such a small theater would seem to be a financial risk. To keep the event moving forward, we need the "casual" fan and not just die-hards like the few of us perusing this board. I haven't booked a flight or anything yet, so I am hoping we hear from Bruce soon about what the plan is for this year and the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:18 pm 

I'm very disappointed that we may be without a home again! I guess it would not be horrible to have to return to the Grandview if that was the only alternative because it has served us well in the past but as others have stated this is a step backwards. :( :( I was just wondering; it has been a while since i've been to the Grandview, I believe it seats somewhere between 375 to 400 and I think that the Arena Grand seated around 750. How many people does the theatre that we were using at the Gateway seat? Also does anyone know what our attendance was like the last couple of years at the Gateway? Just curious to know if the Grandview would actually be too small or uncomfortable for the size of the marathon now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:44 pm 

I think you are overestimating in both cases. The Gateway is about the same size as the Grand and it's only about 500 seats, not 750. The Grandview is pretty small, probably only about 225-250 if that. The Grandview seats are also narrower and not stadium. All in all a much less comfortable environment, but more intimate.
On a positive note, the last Grandview marathon was very well presented with almost no projection problems like we faced at the Grand. At the time, they were not equipped with a DVD projector in the booth which is needed for some shorts, I don't know if that has changed or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:57 pm 

What about studio 35? I'm not sure how it relates sizewise to Grandview. It has better restrooms though. Also it feels comfy!
Or could we be returning to the Vern Riffe? It has been to long for me to remember how large it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:41 pm 

Well, considering the President of the Drexel theater group is involved heavily in the scheduling process, chances are we won't be in a non-Drexel theater. they may have something else up their sleeve, but my guess is we are back to the Grandview for at least this year.

And Studio 35? Are you crazy? You must not know the story of what happened with them and longtime Marathon friend Joe Neff. I will defer to him if he so chooses to retell the tale. I'm sure Bruce wants nothing to do with that mess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:16 pm 

No I knew there was some controversy but I never knew any details. I have not been able to even step foot in a real theater since my kids were born a year ago. It has been a year of diapers and trying to remember what sleep felt like. So 35 is a bad place now? That sucks. Sorry if I stired up bad memories.

Scott