The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:09 pm 

A few days later, and I think I'm able to digest the films at this year's event a bit.

I was awake and watched all 12 films and all the shorts and trailers. But, I become an android one day a year for this event (kudos to Gerald Peary - in Boston's defunct REAL PAPER, he once wrote, "only the dummies and androids" stay awake for the whole Marathon! ;) ). Personally, I love the middle of the night screenings - the audience snarkers have been tamed, the nerves and excitement have tempered a bit, your body is worn out, so it's just your eyeballs and your brain that can sit there and absorb the films.

Interstellar Radio - The pre-show isn't the ideal forum for these guys, but they were true Marathoners and didn't just duck in for the show and flee. Fun.

CLOVERFIELD- Decently done, and with some interest, but BLAIR WITCH (and others) have been there before.

KING DINOSAUR - I'm surprised this didn't get razzed (and hence, 'enjoyed' more). KING was one of my very fave MST3K deconstruction jobs. There were some nice good-bad moments here and Bruce's print was pretty remarkable for a film as obscure as this.

LAST MIMZY - Not bad, but I wouldn't have booked this myself. In a way, I admired the fact that it didn't go for the too busy scramble of most kids films. On the other hand, a lot of scenes felt almost laid back in a TV movie kind of way, lacking urgency and drive. The climax in particular, was...er... anti-climactic....

IN THE SHADOW OF THE MOON - As noted before, this is only the 5th feature documentary we've shown in the 33 years - not an excessive number. And, SHADOW is a terrific film. Buzz Aldrin's relaying of his Moon "first" brought down the house! Folks should seek out Michael Collins' autobiography, CARRYING THE FIRE - nice to see he still has that sharp wit and storytelling knack.

EVER SINCE THE WORLD ENDED - The faux documentary gambit may have seemed more original in 2001 when the film first hit the festival circuit, now it seems like it's following a trend. I will grant that the film has moments of interest, but too much of it gets bogged down with talking heads interviews with folks talking about the most mundane things in the most mundane manner possible. And, the dinner scenes just seemed so gentile and civilized that you sometimes lost the sense this was a post-apocalyptic tale. If the movie had focused more on the survival run outside the city (with its way too brief shots of empty cities) as its main focus, it would have had more impact. And, a technical gaffe - though we see the "filmmakers" working with filmand even debuting it in a movie theater, the film within a film was all shot on video!! Doh!!

WAR OF THE WORLDS - Strange as it may seem, as many times as I've seen this, this was the very first time I really 'got' it. Often deemed a classic, that status eluded me. It just missed somehow. Maybe, because of the contrast with Spielberg's interesting but heavily flawed remake, or just the vibe of seeing it with this audience, but it clicked for me this time. Gene Barry really was a charming leading man, and his performance is undervalued. Certainly of its era, and technical shortcomings considered, it really is an exciting, compact version that is clearly superior to the remake.

2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY - I admit, that this is not the perfect Marathon film. It's slow pacing, long silences, metaphysical philosophisizing all mitigate against it going over well in this setting. Still, it's a cornerstone of the genre, and having it show 3 times over a three decade period, is in order. Not having revisted it since it played over a decade ago at the Marathon, I still marvel at how well most of the Special Effects hold up. Sure, there are some places CGI could do a more photo-realistic job today, but Kubrick's fanatical, almost fetishistic, devotion to detail yields a remarkable vision. I'll go further and say that some of the model work is superior to that of CGI (there IS something about light and shadow hitting a three dimensional model that the best computer artists can only simulate).

BLACK SHEEP - Sandwiched between the metaphysics of 2001 and the depressing 1984, SHEEP was like a breath of very foul air. :roll: Certainly, not a great film, it's one of those B movies where you keep saying, "they're not going to go there are they?" They do! 8-)

1984 - I was one of the few in the USA who got to see this in the title year when it had a brief run in L.A. (and NYC) for Oscar consideration. I liked it then, and I admire it even more today, lo these many years later. It's about as dark and faithful an adaptation as one can expect. Certainly, not 'enjoyable', but Director Michael Radford (IL POSTINO) gave some humanity to such a cold heartless vision (John Hurt and Suzanna Hamilton are superb). This is an original release print complete with Eurythmics music. Radford fought to mute the effect of the Eurythmics music and hired composer Dominic Muldowney. If you want to see how bad the music could have been, check out the trailer in this post : http://sf.theboard.net/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1202275569/0#0

JOURNEY TO THE SEVENTH PLANET - It's too bad the Sidney Pink film WAS pink. :( (again, check out the colorful trailer in the above link). A fun, if mediocre 50's style B flick with hot looking 'visions'. The SOLARIS comparisons are intriguing and coincidental - Lem's novel of SOLARIS was written just before 7TH PLANET. A cosmic coincidence?

SOUND OF THUNDER - Come on. Piece of tripe. If we had to have one more newish movie in the lineup, couldn't that slot have been much better utilized with CHILDREN OF MEN or V FOR VENDETTA? (or, any of dozens of films really). Too loud, too dumb to be snarky fun. And, the "special" effects? When we first saw the plastic looking Dinosaur in the opening scene, I swore that it was supposed to be an animatronic exhibit in a museum! I couldn't believe it was supposed to be a real living being!! And, the futuristic traffic scenes look like something from a kid's video game from the early 90's! With a purported budget of $80M to $100M, this is truly embarassing. How could Warner Brothers and director Peter Hyams have signed off on them?

A BOY AND HIS DOG - I was worried that the print wouldn't arrive! Although I am certainly glad it did, it's too bad it was on last. I've never thought comedy (even black comedy) works well in the latter part of the Marathon (the 1st time SLEEPER showed it was at 4 am and it was deathly silent). It's much easier to absorb violence, special effects and action when you're fatigued than this sort of material. Still, it went over well, and I'm anxious to speak with LQ Jones and give him a positive report.

I don't think the Shorts this year were as interesting as last. LE PUPPE was far and away the best film (even if it was just a spoof on LA JETTE). THEY'RE MADE OF MEAT and ASTRO DISASTER were fun, but both lacked a 'button' - a great zinger in the end that sent it to the next level. EDEN had a good 'button' - but the first 3/4 of the egotistic Fabio & Fabio duo's film was just a MATRIX rehash. A PIECE OF WOOD was probably the most complete piece, but was a just miss (the stilted acting didn't help).

Bruce's 'Vintage' Shorts were fun to see. LIGHT didn't go over well, though it was a nice companion piece to 2001. I've seen other QUASI AT THE QUACKADERO's Sally Cruikshank work, and the colorful print enlivened things. But, SPACE BOY? Oh, my, a highlight of the Marathon for me. I adore this kind of over the top marginalia. FAMOUS MONSTERS' Forrest J. Ackerman tells an off-color tale of 'star' Florence Marley, so it made it all the more 'special' to me! ;) :)

And, the Marathon remains 'Special' to me as well!

An extra Thank you to Bruce and Joe Neff for coming out to Boston!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:45 am 

Wow. That's one of the worst movie line-ups that I have ever seen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:44 am 

There were a few gems in there. It kinda remonded me of one of the Vern Riffe years, with some more thinking kind of films, 2001, 1984, the documentary, but missing some of the kick that Bruce also programmed in those years as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:56 am 

I also though that the list of films they had was pretty bad. War of the Worlds is a classic, and I would love to see 1984 and A Boy and His Dog but nothing else they had is of any interest to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:12 pm 

murph! wrote:
I also though that the list of films they had was pretty bad. War of the Worlds is a classic, and I would love to see 1984 and A Boy and His Dog but nothing else they had is of any interest to me.

Be careful. If history is any judge, you'll be sure of seeing at least some of these "pretty bad" movies in April................... :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:55 am 

True enough, but Bruce would never book The Last Mimzy or A Sound of Thunder in a million years. And Cloverfield was a fun movie but seriously, a major studio film shown at a marathon a mere four weeks after theatrical release; that's just not right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:46 am 

Yeah, Cloverfiled was a bit of a suprise when I saw it listed. It wasn't like it came and went and somehow got missed, overlooked, etc. I wouldn't mind it in about 5 years, but I'd need plenty of warning. My motion sickeness and that movie clashed when I tried to see it in the theater a few weeks ago. I'd definitely need to get dramamined up before hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:45 pm 

murph! wrote:
I also though that the list of films they had was pretty bad.
I thought we all liked Black Sheep last year?

It was certainly better than that Evil Aliens thing or whatever it was called from the previous year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:11 pm 

L.A. Connection wrote:
Be careful. If history is any judge, you'll be sure of seeing at least some of these "pretty bad" movies in April................... :twisted:
Right. We can safely rule out King Dinosaur and Black Sheep, since we got those last year.

My thoughts on the rest:

Cloverfield- I think we heard from Joe or Bruce that they like to use a few big name films to try to get some more casual fans in, and this seems like it would be an attention getter. I would be fine with it.

The Last Mimzy- Never saw it. I'd never complain about seeing a film that I've never seen before, but I'm pretty sure I'd be just fine if I never saw this film. Not an ideal choice.

In the Shadow of the Moon- I would love to see this.

Ever Since the World Ended- Never heard of it. Doesn't sound like I need to see it, but since I've never seen it before, I'd certainly stick around to watch it. Sounds pretty slow though, which may be a bad mix when combined with some of the other "slow" films on this list. It's gotta be better than Automatons though!!!!!!

War of the Worlds- An all-time classic. This would be fine with me. And I really enjoyed the Tom Cruise version too. Heck, I'd be fine if we got to see both. That would be a cool double-feature.

2001- A great film that still holds up today. It's slow though, and as mentioned a few spots above, too much slowness from multiple films could really drag things down. If you show this at 6am, I'd imagine most of the theater would be sound asleep.

1984- I don't think I've seen this in 3 or 4 years. I'd be okay seeing it again.

Journey to the Seventh Planet- This would be a great choice. But if it's a bad print, I'd just as soon see something else instead.

Sound of Thunder- File this one under "last minute emergency replacement". When absolutely nothing else is available...

A Boy and His Dog- I seem to recall that I saw this once a few years ago. It's a real late-night movie. I think it would be a good fit with the marathon crowd.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:28 pm 

War of the Worlds would be great, but not enough 80's movies. I don't see them doing Cloverfield its way to new. A George Pal marathon would be awesome. When was Time Machine done last? Didn't he do a great Journey to the Center of the Earth?

:)>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:39 am 

The marathon event is always special and a lot of fun. The movies...well not always as much fun sometimes. Classic and rare screenings have given way to new films and questionable premieres as well as short films. This year was no different.

My biggest problems were

The Last Mimzy. Say what you will this IS a kiddie film. Pure shmaltz. It certainly is the type of movie that I least want to see at the marathon unless you throw in something such as

Sound of Thunder - a real mess of a movie. Where on earth did the 80 million go? Terrible special effects, a real dumb adaptation of a Bradbury short story. It is not even goofy enough to laugh at. It is just awful movie making. Much as with Battlefield Earth, it was picked in the mistaken belief that people would have fun poking fun at the movie. WRONG. A deadly silence fell over the audience throughout the movie.

I loved

A Boy and His DOg
Black Sheep
In The SHadow of The Moon

King Dinosaur was goofy fun. Bert I Gordon's first but not his best.

Journey to the 7th Planet. Again goofy fun but the red print ruined it for me. A nice print would have worked much better.

The only mistake id you can call it that is that there were too many deliberate slow paced films. Even King Dinosaur is slow. TOo many in a row slowed down the frenzy.

I still had a great time. I would have lost Mimzy, Sound of Thinder and Ever Since The End Of The World for some faster paced stuff.