The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:05 pm 

Does anyone know when that may be and where.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:32 pm 

Not until a week or two before the marathon event itself if you're lucky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:11 pm 

Many years we find out about 6 weeks out for sure, though last year the date suggested the year before was the date. Though again, it was around 2/22 that Bruce announced for sure this was the date. I can't think af any year where we only knew a week or two out. While it is a pain to book flights and schedule leave (I had to do it for 8 years), I do know Bruce et al err on the side of caution in announcing dates and do not want a repeat of a few years back where they picked a date and then had to move it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:17 pm 

I may have picked a bad date with the Memorial Day weekend, but that is one advantage the Boston event has - a dead certain date. Only once did we move the date (and that was only one single day).

I now that there are different circumstances, but find a weekend - ANY WEEKEND - and make that the target date. Even though we have had 5 different locations in Boston, the Weekend has remained the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:22 pm 

We have had a couple of years where dates were posted and plans made by many only to be disappointed by changes so I think Bruce is prudent to be cautious with setting the date but I would like some info about what the situation is and what the possibilities are going to be for the marathon this year. Believe me any info at this point would be appreciated!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:48 pm 

murph! wrote:
We have had a couple of years where dates were posted and plans made by many only to be disappointed by changes so I think Bruce is prudent to be cautious with setting the date but I would like some info about what the situation is and what the possibilities are going to be for the marathon this year. Believe me any info at this point would be appreciated!!!!

I appreciate all that. But, my point is that it would be the best to just pick a date. Throw a dart at a calendar - anything - and just pick that weekend.

THEN --- all other considerations (exact days, location, prices etc) fall around that target. Many of us in Boston have complaints about how that event is run, but having a date certain really is an ace in the hole.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:10 pm 

As far as I know, the second weekend in April is our "set date." I have no idea why this can't be etched in titanium, no ifs ands or buts year after year. I am not sure how the process works. Maybe Bruce can shed some light on the subject when everything is finally arranged.

Right now we are all like airline passengers sitting at the gate looking out the window. You know that anxious feeling? It's frustrating, but no matter how long we stare out the window, it doesn't make the plane arrive any faster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:51 am 

Here is Buce's post on 2006 on the subject:

http://www.scifimarathon.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11&highlight=

I always liked the idea of tying it to Easter, something like two weeks after Easter. Easter does float but you can also determine when Easter is from now until the end of time if you know the math. Or you can look it up on the web where I think I have seen it calculated out into the 2100s. But I am with the others, pick a date and stick to it. I understand the timing of the Gateway changes may have thrown a wrench into things, but this has been a chronic problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:46 am 

This really needs nailed down. I think linking to Easter is our best bet, but the total blackout of information less than 2 months out is extremely frustrating. I'd be happy with some official word.

:)>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:49 am 

This year, I'm REALLY hoping the 'thon won't be until April 26-27. I've been cast in a production of "The Crucible" the 2 weekends before that, and I won't be able to go if it's before April 26. A slight delay would be a blessing in disguise for me, at least! (crossing my fingers!)

-Ryan