The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 7:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mini-thon?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:42 pm 

So this mini-thon -- is this in an adjacent theater, recycling films from the full marathon? Or is this an option to purchase admission to half of the marathon?

Seems like it'd have to be more the former than the latter, but I'm curious. Seems like some folks might want to get a mini-thon ticket to join the marathon already in progress, but might not take to it if they were going to be separated from the "real" 'thon.

Post subject: Re: Mini-thon?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:27 pm 

Mr. E. wrote:
So this mini-thon -- is this in an adjacent theater, recycling films from the full marathon? Or is this an option to purchase admission to half of the marathon?

Seems like it'd have to be more the former than the latter, but I'm curious. Seems like some folks might want to get a mini-thon ticket to join the marathon already in progress, but might not take to it if they were going to be separated from the "real" 'thon.

Bruce will speak for himself, but I know how the 'mini-marathon' concept has worked in Boston. Originally, it was done because the Marathon got so popular that it often would sell out 2 months in advance (and that was on 2 Screens!). So, the cinema (The legendary ORSON WELLES CINEMA) used it's third screen to hold a "Mini-Marathon",nicknamed NIGHTFLIGHT.

NIGHTFLIGHT showed about half the films that the full marathon screened (yes, from the same list of films). Not only did it help accomodate the crowds that were turned away from the sold out main show, but, it did help get folks' feet wet to see how they liked the concept. It began at Midnight, which also gave it that Midnight movie feel that the Orson Welles was legendary for (its Midnight movie staples included PINK FLAMINGOS, NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, HARDER THEY COME etc).

Years later at the Coolidge Corner, NIGHTFLIGHT was resurrected for a couple of years, but never really took off there. In addition, at the Coolidge, occassionally a "new" movie - NOT, on the main marathon schedule would be added to give spice to the "mini-marathon" lineup.

Good luck to Ohio's first "mini-marathon"!

Post subject: Re: Mini-thon?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:49 pm 

L.A. Connection wrote:
Mr. E. wrote:
Good luck to Ohio's first "mini-marathon"!

Ah but this would not be Ohio's first "mini-marathon", back in the Drexel North days one year the turnout was so huge they actually held a mini-marathon at the Bexley theater the same day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:00 am 

OK, so I am seriously thinking about doing the minithon this year, since it seems to be my only option. I am playing John Proctor in a production of "The Crucible" on Saturday night, April 19 in Charleston, WV... I would still be late, but I'm considering driving to Columbus after the show and staying up the rest of the night. I'll be there if I don't come to my senses first.

-Ryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:59 am 

If there will be exclusives I hope it would be shown at both thons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:42 pm 

It would be quite silly to show something at the halfathon that wasn't shown at the larger event. That's just not good business. Since there is more than likely only one print of each film, the lineup will probably be composed of the films shown during the first 12 to 16 hours of the full sized event. That would seem logical to me.