The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:41 am 
Site Admin

airportman73 wrote:
Wow, I've watched in silence for long enough, Iamjack. If I'm wrong than your posts have read differently than you intended, but you seem to be a very bitter person. I've been coming to these things for a good many years (1st Horror 'thon was my first) and it's always about the people, and films, but I digress.

Uhh....not sure why you're inferring any bitterness from him. I think he's been pretty evenhanded and realistic. Could you be more specific?

And while it's great that you generally hate some of the premieres, what about the question this thread is base on? What TWO Marathons are your best and worst, and why?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:36 am 

I've combined these two posts into one. -Joe

I've only been to 3 scifi marathons and 4 horror and loved them all. Of the scifi, 2007 was my favorite because of the Gateway Theater. i missed 06. If I had to pick a least favorite, it would be 05 because of the Grandview Theater. But, I love them all anyway.

airportman73 wrote:
In Chicago this weekend they are showing a print of the 80's animated Transformers film, if this is available just imagine the possibilities.

The possibility for me would be a dinner break.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:48 pm 

I will just withdraw my coment, OK God Of all marathons, will they make all right with the world? As stated before My favorite was at the Grand I don't remember the number, You know the one with "Mad Max 2"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:44 pm 

airportman73 wrote:
I will just withdraw my coment, OK God Of all marathons, will they make all right with the world? As stated before My favorite was at the Grand I don't remember the number, You know the one with "Mad Max 2"

.. and I'm the one that's bitter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:46 pm 

WolfNC17 wrote:
The link above did not work for me, so I'm going purely from memory. But I think my all-time favorite will always be my first: 1996 (SF10?) at the Riffe Center. Alien and Aliens bookended, Blade Runner played that year, and the premieres were City of Lost Children, Tremors 2 and Cemetery Man. Correct me if I'm mixing some things up, but that's the way I remember it. Feel free to fill in the blanks as well.

I'll never forget watching Alien (for the first time on the big screen) and hearing people applaud enthusiastically for the names of Sigourney Weaver and Ridley Scott in the opening credits. That's when I knew I was among like-minded souls. I don't think I had ever seen an audience cheer for a director before! I think that was the year of the Godzilla incident as well, I wasn't far from the stage when that happened. Strangely enough, that only made me love the marathon more.

My least favorite marathons are the ones I was unable to attend, and usually was stuck at home wishing I was there. I can't think of one where I hated every single film (though last year came close) and had a really awful time. I always prefer the lineups that are mostly good films (like my first), but I've learned to appreciate the cheese as well. I just don't want an entire marathon full of it.

Anyone see this week's South Park? Heavy Metal should definitely play some year...

Your memory is correct. And yes, SF10 had a very exciting lineup! Here it is if you still can't get the link to the history page to work:

Alien
The City of Lost Children
Queen of Outer Space
Tremors 2: Aftershocks
Forbidden Planet
Cemetery Man
Blade Runner
Strange Invaders
Brazil (U.K. Release Version)
War of the Worlds
Aliens

A fantastic mix of classics and neo-classics with a sprinkle of not too shabby premeires. I have always liked marathons with the thematic book ends.

Here is a bit of trivia for this lineup: it was mostly decided by the audience. For the tenth anniversary of the marathon, they wanted to plan something special (and they weren't crazy enough to add 12 extra hours like the Boston marathon did for it's 10th anniversary!), so what they did was hand out surveys to the audience. We were asked to name our 10 favorite Science Fiction films of all time, and the plan was to get the top ten vote getters for that year.

I don't know how many of those actually made it onto the schedule, Bruce would have to answer that question. But judging from the lineup, I would say quite a few were probably on a ot of people's lists, not counting the three premeires.

Another bit of trivia: Cemetery Man made it's U.S. debut here with it's newly christened title (instead of the much more interesting foreign title Dellamorte Dellamore). It was supposed to have been shown at the final Night of the Living Drexel in 1994 and was even on the flyer, but for whatever reason fell through. With the demise of the Drexel North came the demise of the horror marathon, so that's why this intriging zombie flick starring a young Rupert Everett was shown here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:31 pm 

I can't profess to have attended too many of them, as I only found out about the Columbus marathons about five years ago. Still, I've been to all but one of the Horror/SciFi Marathons since then. (My kid was busy being born four years ago. You'd think he would have shown a little decency!)

Unquestionably, my favorite marathon and an event that will stick with me forever is Joe's Studio 35 Marathon with George Romero. To be able to see some of my favorite films and meet the man who made them was a highlight of my life. To say that the other marathons don't compare isn't really fair, because that one was just so special in so many ways that I don't think any other marathon could ever stand a chance of topping it. Unless, of course, Bruce or Joe finds some way to resurrect Stanley Kubrick and book him as a guest.

My least favorite was this past Horror Marathon. I just didn't feel the excitement that I normally get from the marathons. The films just didn't do it for me and the crowd wasn't nearly as much fun as at previous marathons. I also think that the 12-hour affairs don't quite achieve the same insane vibe as a 24-hour 'thon. There's something about entering a theater in the afternoon and not emerging until the next day at around the same time that knocks the mind into a surreal sort of overdrive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:04 am 

Thanks for refreshing my memory, Jack! I never knew that about the lineup. I guess that explains why it was so unbalanced towards quality that year.

That was a great year to get hooked on the marathon. The only film on the lineup I really didn't care for was Strange Invaders, which I found incredibly dull for the early-morning time slot. Well, I wouldn't say I liked Queen of Outer Space either, but it was fun with the crowd. That's actually my ideal Sci-Fi marathon lineup - several genuine classics, some very good premieres and just a little bit of cheese.

I wasn't counting the horror marathons when I picked my favorite though. Obviously seeing Bruce Campbell and George Romero in person are treats that cannot be beat. I'll never forget the pained look on Bruce's face when I brought up Jack of All Trades (loved the show, but its early cancellation was obviously a sore spot for him. He was good-natured about it though). My picture with George is one of my screen savers. Excellent memories. But the films are always the main attraction for me, and I consider guests a bonus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:42 am 
Site Admin

geekzapoppin wrote:
Unquestionably, my favorite marathon and an event that will stick with me forever is Joe's Studio 35 Marathon with George Romero. To be able to see some of my favorite films and meet the man who made them was a highlight of my life. To say that the other marathons don't compare isn't really fair, because that one was just so special in so many ways that I don't think any other marathon could ever stand a chance of topping it. Unless, of course, Bruce or Joe finds some way to resurrect Stanley Kubrick and book him as a guest.

Thanks. Glad you had a good time.

geekzapoppin wrote:
My least favorite was this past Horror Marathon. I just didn't feel the excitement that I normally get from the marathons. The films just didn't do it for me and the crowd wasn't nearly as much fun as at previous marathons. I also think that the 12-hour affairs don't quite achieve the same insane vibe as a 24-hour 'thon. There's something about entering a theater in the afternoon and not emerging until the next day at around the same time that knocks the mind into a surreal sort of overdrive.

You're right on a lot of counts. It's much harder to book a great lineup for a 12-hour fest. You automatically have to limit the number of slower paced black and white films to a bare minimum, lest the crowd falls asleep. And if you do book one or two, they have to be played early for the same reason. I miss booking something like I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE and having it unreel at 4pm to a wide awake audience.

And the shorter time frame does cut into crowd enthusiasm. Less time equals less films equals lower ticket price, which pretty much cancels out booking a major guest. And yes, it's much easier to gear up the group energy when you can rev up, wide awake, at noon, instead of after being up all day.

I'd love to resume the 24-hour Horror Marathons, and I'm sure Bruce would too (hope I didn't shoot myself in the foot by saying that.) Never say never...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:22 pm 

I have been on call this week at work, so I haven't had time to give this thread the consideration it deserved until now. we've had similar threads before and I always find it hard to pick. I really liked the 20th marathon. Good mix of films, it was my last pre-Dad marathon so I had no guilt about being gone all day and I flew back from DC for the first time instead of driving so I was well rested. I think it may have the best lineup of them all.

I also really enjoyed Joe's Studio 35 Horror Thons. I had never done the old Drexel ones, I'm more of a sci fi person than a horror fan but when I heard Joe was hosting I felt I had to support it. There were great guests (at least from a crowd point of view) Joe Bob Briggs, Bruce Campbell and George Romero were great gets. The Dog Soldier guys. Some great premieres like Session 9 and Convent. But as I said, I'm a sci fi guy, so while I admire the hard work, showmanship and attention to detail Joe put into those, I can't pick any of them.

I have to go Old School and say SF1. Again it was a great mix of films, it was a cool concept and it was new and shiny. At least as new and shiny as the Drexel North could be. Even though I lived a few blocks away, I had never been there. This was a chance for me to see films that I had only maybe seen on Night Owl Theater or Superhost. Plus I have, somewhere, a signed certificate. The only downside was this was before I got in line in the front, so I missed that aspect.

Worst marathon? That is not as hard. However, I do want to say, there isn't a marathon where I attended and thought, man I want my money back, or there is 24 hours (plus when I lived in DC drive time, flight time costs, etc.) that I will never get back. I think the worst was the 15th. In order of least disliked to most disliked, there were 3 films I did not enjoy, Primer, Code 46 and Helix. Helix would have been a good 15 minute short, maybe, but it went on way too long. There was the disappointment of losing the Grand and being at the Grandview. I believe that was also the year the marathon got bumped back because of Sideways. It wasn't all bad, of course, I loved Steamboy, the Apple, the gorgeous print of Mothra. And, even though I loudly and longly complained Sky Captain was too new, I enjoyed it since I had not seen it before. Also they did a nice job with decrations that year and the staff at the Grandview is always top notch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:54 pm 

Quote:
I'd love to resume the 24-hour Horror Marathons, and I'm sure Bruce would too (hope I didn't shoot myself in the foot by saying that.) Never say never...

That would be great someday. Til' then, I'll still make the trek up from Cincy for the overnight affairs. It isn't that I think the shorter time frame automatically = lower quality; I think it's just that getting started that late at night makes it difficult to stay awake and enjoy the films the way I would like to.

In any case, shorter marathons are still better than no marathons and I'll be eternally grateful for the work that you and Bruce put into them. They're labors of love and a rare treat in today's age of "My couch is more comfortable than your theater. I'm gonna stay home and watch a DVD." Philistines!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:08 pm 

For the last three years, the Music Box theatre in Chicago has taken up the 24 hour horror marathon mantle, and they are a lot of fun (Bruce or Joe hosting would be the only way to improve them). Usually it's the middle weekend of October and the week before the Columbus one. 700 seat classic theater, 12-13 movies, guests (Joe Dante 2 years ago), in a great neighborhood with great restauarnts and bars and a grocery store around the corner. Though there is terrible parking, no premieres to speak of, very few trailers, and last year's line up left a lot to be desired. It will never match the old Drexel North years but it's the best thing since the Studio 35 marathons. I know that it's a rare spirit that will travel outside the state for these things, but it's a lot closer than Boston and anyone who actually knows me is welcome to crash at my place any time they want to make the 6 hour drive. I've dragged Chicagoans to Ohio, now it's time to for the pros to show Chicago how it's done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:10 pm 

If I lived in Ohio, I would make the Chicago marathon's in a second! Living in LA makes it difficult. I am finding that 1 marathon a year is about all I can manage. If I can, I will squeaze in 2...but it probably won't happen. If Joe did a horror thon I would seriously consider making the trip.

Maybe someday I will actually make it to the Chicago thon. I love the city! In fact, I may be going in June to visit. I will let you know if I do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:19 pm 

My favorite marathon happened to be my first, the 2Oth Annual Marathon in 2003, featuring the following films:

Twilight Zone: The Movie (Prologue and Episode 1)
Gamera 2: Legion Attacks (Midwest Premiere)
Captain Marvel (Chapter 11)
Robot Monster
Twilight Zone: The Movie ("It's a Good Life")
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
Captain Marvel (Chapter 12)
Cowboy Bebop (Ohio Premiere)
Beyond Re-Animator (Midwest Premiere)
Superman (The Director's Cut)
Killer Klowns from Outer Space
Eight-Legged Freaks
X-Men
Equilibrium

A lot of the magic of that year had to do with the fact that I was going through a hard time in my life and my last minute discovery of the marathon was the perfect remedy. I drove 3 hours, stayed up for 24 hours of sci-fi bliss with all of you, drove 3 hours back and sharply fell into a coma. The perfect weekend.

Life is a LOT better now...I've attended every year since, and have had some great experiences, including seeing "Creature from the Black Lagoon" in 3-D on the HUGE screen, and last year's gem "Frankenstein Meets the Space Monster", which I am this moment getting ready to screen again in my home theatre.

I can't be there this year due to a previous commitment, but I'll definitely be with you in spirit, and I'll be online waiting to read all the juicy details!

-Ryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:49 pm 

Like everyone I have a softspot in my heart for the first marathon I attended. #3 at the beloved Drexel North. I'll never forget my brother falling asleep during the first film. 2001.

In terms of film line up I would have to go with the 10'th the rife was not as fun but that line up kicked butt from start to finish. Blade Runner in a theater was beautiful. City of Lost Children and Cemetary Man blew me away. I don't really remember Queen of Outer Space, but everyting else was great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:51 am 
Site Admin

Lord stinky feet wrote:
Like everyone I have a softspot in my heart for the first marathon I attended. #3 at the beloved Drexel North.

You never forget your first 'Thon. SF04 will always be the favorite. First time, extremely solid lineup, the Drexel North, everything I could possibly want out of a marathon.

Worst? There's a tough call. SciFi typically ranks over Horror for me (though the opposite for most of my friends) ... I'm a sucker for the classics. Most people found SF09 kinda slow, but I personally LOVED the theme. I'd have to say SF12 is probably the bottom of the list, for many of the same reasons that Joe cites. But even with that one there were high spots ("Rocketship X-M", "The Lost World", "Gattaca", and of course one of the few chances to see "Infra-Man" and "The Day of the Triffids.")

Thus far I've never been disappointed ... I'm doubting that will change :).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next