The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:23 pm 

Looking at our current lineup and seeing we have 9 films, I think it's a safe bet that we will have at least 2 more films (3 if they're short). I'm just wondering what the general consensus is regarding how to fill those time slots: 2 premieres or 2 crowd pleasers like The Thing or Predator? Premieres tend to be a mixed bag. For every Fido or I Come in Peace or The Abyss director's cut, there's an Automatons or Digital Man. In a perfect world, we'd get one more good premiere and 2 more classics. What do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:53 pm 

Recent marathon history has shown that all the last minute additions have been premeires. I would say that unless something truly special drops in their laps, the lineup is pretty much set.

I count ten films, including the Battlestar Gallactica pilot mentioned in Bruce's post. Four of them are close to or more than 2 hours long. So with the special guest, ten films might be it.

Then again, recent marathon history also shows that Bruce and Jeff simply love premeires, quality notwithstanding in some cases. It is hard to imagine them going into that weekend with only one "Columbus Premeire" of that weird Japanese film.

So chances are no more classics or older films will be added unless there is a last minute emergency replacement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:28 pm 

The total hours of the films listed on the front page comes to 929 minutes or about 15 and a half hours. That leaves over 8 hours of programming...of course some of that will be guests, shorts, etc. I'm sure they will play more than the 9 films listed. Assuming an hour for the guest and 2 or 3 for extra material. That still leave 4 hours of film programming.

Classics or Premieres? Lineup is great now. So either would be great. I'm guessing we will see one more premiere. I'm just excited by the lineup this year. There is a nice variety.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:20 am 

I agree it is a very nice lineup. I tend to agree with IamJacksUserID that we likely will see premieres if they can be found. As usual, I trust in Bruce's judgement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:36 am 

Well the runtime for movies is 17 Hours 55 mins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:16 pm 

Unless my calculator is broken, the run time is 15.48 hours:

MIN FILM
92 Day the Earth Stood Still
113 Big Man Japan
136 Clockwork Orange
75 Stranger From Venus
77 Journey to the 7th Planet
113 1984
82 Lady Terminator
131 Andromeda Strain
110 Pitch Black

TOTAL MINUTES 929
TOTAL HOURS 15.48

I am only counting what is officially announced on the front page.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:34 pm 

I am guessing you are including Battlestar Galactica on your total running time.

I'm curious, where was this announced? I don't see it in Bruce's initial posting and I don't see it on the front page.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:17 pm 

There is an announcement thread from Bruce. The very first subject on the main forum page.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:28 pm 

How weird.....

I swear I just clicked on that link and saw a posting that I remember seeing from Bruce a long time ago when he first made the announcement. No mention of Batttlestar in his post.

Then I reread your mail to make sure I was looking in the right place. I went to double check the post that I had just read and I SWEAR the posting was different when I clicked on the thread. Ghost in the machine........

Now I see it. It's the 78 version, so it's probably on film. Not too crazy about this one, but the rest of the lineup is stellar, so no worries. I can always take a break. Who knows though, I haven't seen this in years, so maybe it is good. I probably saw it when I was 10!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:52 pm 

Oh, come on! How can you not be excited about it? It was in SENSURROUND!

Sometimes even today, when I am browsing through the theater listings trying to decide what to see, I'll look at something I'm not too crazy about and say "Hell, yeah! That one's in Sensurround! I am totally there!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:06 am 

Sputnik Mania is a perfect example of my question. I'm sure it's a good documentary, and I'd probably really like it a lot on the History Channel one night. But it seems like we're getting it simply to have a premiere. I'd rather watch a fast-paced classic like They Live with the marathon crowd. I can picture half the audience getting dinner during this one. Also it is a science-FICTION marathon.... Not a complaint, I'm sure I'll watch it and be engaged, but rather an observation and opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:05 pm 

Well, it does only qualify for 50% of the "Science Fiction" label, but it does have an over 80% rating from rottentomatoes. So I don't think it is necessarily a premeire just for the sake of a premeire.

There is a good balance this year of all different film types. My only worry is that we may hear more snoring this year from the non-hardcore audience, as there are a few more deliberately paced films than usual.