The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fliers?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:53 pm 

I live out of town and was just wondering what the flier looked like. I have all my past fliers lamenated and would normally be rereading it every night by now in anticipation. I always loved the collage artwork. The horror marathons in Chicago just use a postcard like you'd see advertising a band. Bruce's fliers are more like works of art and worth collecting. Am I insane or does anyone else collect them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:11 am 

I have most of them, though I haven't taken good care of them like you. I have a few hung up at work. I haven't seen them yet, either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:06 pm 

I have everything ever given to me at a marathon in a box. I don't have a few of the recent pre-show advertising flyers and I did not purchase a T-Shirt at my first marathon, but I've kept everything else. So don't think you are the only insane one.

My other silly ritual is to "retire" the T-Shirts after two years. I just stuffed away SF23 yesterday. Incidentally, they make great conversation peices, and I'm pretty sure I'm the only person in Arizona who owns them, not to mention one of only a handful of us Left Coasters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:39 pm 

I keep an assortment of hair, nail clippings and other personal items and/or organic matter that I surreptitiously acquire from all the various contributers of the marathon events. I keep it all in formaldehyde filled jars or air-tight containers. I have Joe Neff's scab from the 2004 Horror marathon, which is my prized possession! It was a pretty impressive scab that he picked off his elbow between 4AM screenings. He confidently threw it in the trash receptacle outside the theater, but little did he know it lives on inside the safe, air-sealed environment of an old mason jar, proudly displayed next to the anonymous concession workers greasy thumb-print stained soda glass from Sci-fi 09.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:37 pm 

Well, Steve, I always knew you were kind of creepy, but...

Wow, this explains alot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:14 pm 
Site Admin

carter9000 wrote:
I keep an assortment of hair, nail clippings and other personal items and/or organic matter

Ok, I think we'll just stop there ... yeah ... that's ... really enough.

As a much-needed distraction, look - something shiny!

http://www.scifimarathon.com/images/2008SciFlyer.jpg

(Not sure if Jen was going to post this up somewhere, but I hadn't seen it uploaded yet, so I did a quickie scan at Bruce's behest. Enjoy :)).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:33 pm 

Thanks for the scan, Dave!

Though there has been no announcement post, I am willing to bet that the list in the left hand corner is probably the official screening order. It looks like a logical sequence consistent with previous marathon trends. If this is the case, I am worried about staying awake for Stranger from Venus. I haven't heard good things about this one, and there may not be enough people awake to even make fun of it.

Usually, if I doze off for more than a few minutes, then I'm a goner. And I don't want to miss A Clockwork Orange, which is probably the best choice from the list to end the marathon with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:07 am 
Site Admin

Yep, that's the unofficial official order. I had had STRANGER FROM VENUS earlier, but, having recently watched STRANGER, I felt NINETEEN EIGHTY-FOUR deserved to go earlier. Tough calls either way. I always wish there was a way to show everything in the first 14 hours. Maybe some milk plus might help...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:01 am 

awesome! Great line up!!! Really hard to stay awake during 1984 but that's the one I'm most looking forward to. Good adaptation of one of my favorite books.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:13 am 

The only movie (besides the premiers) I've haven't watched yet is Journey to the Seventh Planet. I did watch BattleStar Galatica last night. If I do fall asleep I won't be missing much. I will saty awake fo Lady Terminator.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:23 pm 

I'm a little late, but my favorite personal artifact alos is from Joe. It is some authentic Joe Neff flop sweat from his performance of Gravity Live. I have it in a little crystal vial that I wear on a gold chain any time I need to speak in front of an audience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:31 pm 

WOW! Dennis, do you know what Joe's sweat goes for on Ebay! I am jealous. You are a lucky man!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:30 pm 

Hey, it is really rare, since as I said, it wasn't just any sweat, but flop sweat.

flop sweat -- n. Theater. nervous perspiration caused by fear of failure before an audience.

Since he now ascended to the horror equivalent level of host organism he no longer creates it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:16 am 

One of the great tragedies of my life - and let's face it, there are many! - was losing most of my marathon T-shirts!

I used to compulsively collect everything from the 'thons, too (well, not quite like Carter does :)), and wore my 'thon T-shirts often. One evening, when I lived in Grandview (so that would have made it 1997, I believe), I dropped my laundry off at one of those self-service coin-op laundromats, went across the street to Kroger to do some shopping, and came back to find most of my laundry stolen!!! Among the two washing machines I had loaded up were most every scifi and horror T-shirt from 1988 to 1997 (I missed the first scifi in '87).

I was so grief-sticken by that event that I painted my nails black, put on some black clown make-up, and swore vengeance on evil-doers everywhere!! ..... Well, ok, I didn't do that - but I did stop collecting marathon paraphernalia. I guess I felt, since my collection had been wrecked already, it wasn't worth trying to be completist about it anymore.

In hindsight, I kind of wish I'd kept on collecting the fliers, program guides, and Marathoid Certificates - that way, maybe I wouldn't lose $20 to Joe Neff every time we have a disagreement about marathon history!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:00 am 

So we need to keep an eye out for someone wearing classic marathon shirts and quiz them about details of that marathon. If they can't answer we know we found your culprit.

Seriously, that sucks.

I always wear my shirts to school field trips, gymnastics and soccer practices for my son. Interestingly I got a lot more comments about them back in DC, though sometimes they mistakenly (and I have no idea how) thought it referred to the running kind of marathon.