It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Speaking of Sputnik...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:03 am 
Site Admin

http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2008/04 ... t-sub.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:25 pm 

The most incredible "Yuri's Night" party I ever attended was in Moscow Russia back in the 90's. It was held at their National Space Museum.

And, it was a RAVE party!

Yes, a Rave!

Picture a bunch of drunk, pill popping Russians partying INSIDE a Space Musuem dancing to pulsating thumping music! It was an incredible sight. Actual Russian space treasures were literally shoved aside to make way for the dance floor. People were putting their drinks on top of exhibits, spilling Vodka on priceless space souvenirs.

Imagine the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum allowing THAT?

And, no trip to Moscow is complete without visiting what the locals call the "Rocket Man" statue - an incredible towering Monument to Yuri himself:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:06 pm 

Russia in the 90s could be a very intersting place. In a lot of ways it made me think of teenage children who are left home alone over a weekend with minimal, if any, adult supervision.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:13 pm 

Dennis wrote:
Russia in the 90s could be a very intersting place. In a lot of ways it made me think of teenage children who are left home alone over a weekend with minimal, if any, adult supervision.

There WAS a lot of that in Moscow in the 90's - drugs, sex and rock 'n roll (and also, major addiction and AIDS outbreaks). But, it was more complicated than that (and Russia is still in a state of mass confusion, 17 years after the coup).

Without delving too deeply into details, the system there had collapsed, but so had the order and way of life long engrained. Gangs and the local mafia swooped in, and the elderly and uneducated got left behind. It's why the more authoritarian Putin came into office eventually, to put "order" back.

Still, on the bright side, it was fun to see Russians get exposed to rock music (I gave away all the music I arrived with) and Movies (seeing THE GODFATHER in Russian was a bizarre experience!).

I look forward to seeing SPUTNIK MANIA when it hits Los Angeles. Enjoy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:39 pm 

Having studied the old Soviet system while a poli sci student, and having visited and adopted from Russia I know exactly what you mean. I am hoping the pendulum hasn't stopped swinging but for the sake of the Russians I hope it swings more gently. I worry Sergei won't get the chance to visit there when he is old enough and wants to. I don't think the Iron Curtain will return, but there have been some troubling events over the last few years that make me worry.