The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Official Schedule
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:20 am 

Less than a week away, I'm so excited! The official schedule was posted a few minutes ago in the World Watch Wire. I almost missed it because it doesn't glow orange like the other ones. Could turn out to be one of the best ever. Bruce, how did I ever doubt you?

Great job of intermixing the cheesy with the not as cheesy. I would have flipped FLASH and 12 MONKEYS, but I think it works this way, too. I was expecting fewer trailers because of the 13 features, but hopefully there is still an entertaining allthough modest selection. Hopefully, SPACEBOY doesn't get lost in the shuffle like he did in Boston (or did you do that on purpose?) :)

Since we are not used to this tight of a schedule, as long as the Gateway allows us , I'm almost positive we won't be seeing daylight again until around 1pm. So if the pre-show reel starts around 11, then technically this year's marathon will be about 26 hrs!

Thank you so much for an awesome schedule this year, Bruce. See you all soon!

Post subject: Re: Official Schedule
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:14 am 

Here we go! It's the most crowded Marathon schedule in a long, long time. Thirteen features! Four premieres! Probably the fewest trailers in recent memory and short intermissions. Doors should open at about 10:30. Like last year we'll have a reel of pre-blast off trailers starting at about 11 or 11:15.

Noon Countdown & Blast Off
12 MONKEYS

2:30 KING DINOSAUR

4:05 THE GREAT YOKAI WAR - Ohio Premiere

6:20 Costume Contest
6:30 PUZZLEHEAD - Ohio Premiere

8:10 FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE SPACEMONSTER

9:55 FIDO - Midwest Premiere

11:40 AUTOMATONS - Ohio Premiere

1:10 CHOPPING MALL

2:45 NIGHT OF THE COMET

4:25 MINDWARP: AN INFINITY OF TERROR

6:00 SLITHER

7:45 STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE

10:10 FLASH GORDON
Noon Presentation of Certificates to survivors (if any)

There is a good chance that we'll run a bit long. As the veterans know, unforeseen wrinkles in the space-time continuum could twist this outside in. Unlikely, but strange things are possible...

Yea I would flip Flash Gordon and 12 Monkeys also, 12 Monkeys is a newer film that no one has been looking forward to seeing on the big screen for 27 years, not seeing the logic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:39 am 

I'm disappointed that Mindwarp is on so late that no one will have the energy to lampoon it.

I also predict a lot of people getting some sleep at about...7:55 am.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:31 am 
Site Admin

Don't worry ... "Mindwarp" isn't getting off that easily :).

I do have to say that "Star Trek" at 7:45 may mean a breakfast-run to McDonalds (or catching some serious "Zzzz's"), but hopefully I can stay awake at least long enough to glory in the effects. If nothing else, the "Enterprise leaving drydock" sequence counts as one of the most rousing moments in Sci-Fi cinema in my book.

BTW, the World Watch Wire doesn't glow orange (sometimes) because it's a locked Forum, but new posts there will show up in the "View All Posts Since Last Visit" link.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:24 pm 

Looks great. I step away from the forums for a couple of days and come back to find us full-up on premiers and all of the sudden we're short on space. Suits me just fine. And I like ending with Flash. It's got the perfect tone and energy for the end of the 'thon, when my mind is at its weakest. 12 Monkeys, on the other hand, being a time travel flick, is better viewed with a fresh mind. My only concern is Star Trek. If I haven't slept beforehand, I will certainly dose in then. But then I could get a decent sized nap in during that film and wake up to find they're still only halfway done panning the camera along the exterior of the ship. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:20 pm 

Looks great! I really like the schedule. I was surprised to see 12 Monkeys first, but that's fine with me because that's a movie that I'm really looking forward to seeing.

Flash Gorden being last makes a bit of sense too, as that's just plain action and shouldn't require much coherent thought.

I just hope the trailers don't get cut too much. Those are usually the most fun part.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:27 pm 

The more I think about it, the more I love seeing 12 Monkeys first.
Great call Bruce!

Everyone else: get there as early as possible (10:30?) so this thing can begin on time and things can run more smoothly.

The anticipation is growing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:42 pm 

Yeah, I'm all for cutting a feature if it means more trailers. Considering that the shorts and trailers are the things that are least available to see outside of a marathon, I hope we don't lose too many of them. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:54 pm 

Pretty cool! I like it, except Star Trek at 7 AM is certainly death for me. I will never ever make it through at that hour. It's either nap time or breakfast time for me.

I love seeing Galaxy of Terror late, it seems appropriate. I am so pumped for this event that I feel like Arnold Swartzenegger. I'm soooo pumped!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:37 pm 

Usinoh said "Yea I would flip Flash Gordon and 12 Monkeys also, 12 Monkeys is a newer film that no one has been looking forward to seeing on the big screen for 27 years, not seeing the logic."

Well thank God Bruce didn't follow your wishes, because it would just destroy momentum. Ending with Flash is perfect, maybe you can come late so you don't have to see Terry Gilliams masterpiece, thats some logic I hope you can get behind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:42 pm 

airportman73 wrote:
Usinoh said "Yea I would flip Flash Gordon and 12 Monkeys also, 12 Monkeys is a newer film that no one has been looking forward to seeing on the big screen for 27 years, not seeing the logic."

Well thank God Bruce didn't follow your wishes, because it would just destroy momentum. Ending with Flash is perfect, maybe you can come late so you don't have to see Terry Gilliams masterpiece, thats some logic I hope you can get behind.

Terry Gilliam peaked with Monty Python and the Holy Grail!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:56 pm 

There's no need to fight. FLASH is a great ender, but I think a lot of people here would agree that it would also be a great first film for this lineup. I think 12 MONKEYS works either way, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:58 pm 

So does that mean we can count you to miss the first couple of hours? Besides, I thought he did a great job with Spaceballs!!!!! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:29 pm 

airportman73 wrote:
So does that mean we can count you to miss the first couple of hours? Besides, I thought he did a great job with Spaceballs!!!!! :wink:

Naw I love Terry Gilliam movies and 12 Monkeys is a great film I just thought FLASH GORDON would be more fun to start with, I will be pretty tired by the time it starts but I will still love every FLASH AH AH second of it. GO FLASH GO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:03 am 

Let me first say that I can't wait for this one. It seeems like the marathon I've been waiting for since the Drexel North closed (moment of silence please). But if I were schelduling it, I would move a couple of things and, because I'm not I will enjoy it not one bit less. I would start with Star Trek because that's the only way I would stay awake/in the theater to pay attention to it. As is, I can sleep through it or get breakfast-no loss. I would actually put Flash Gordon where Automotons is and move that to the Star Trek slot, and end with 12 Monkeys. It just seems weird that we are staring with the most serious film we have. But I don't think the lineup is any worse because of the changes I would make. In fact I'm glad that there's one that I don't mind sleeping through now that I'm getting older.