The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:30 pm 

Some of the movies shown would be unbearable to watch without snarking. I thought this year was no worse than any other year in regards to snarking. During the "good" movies I think everyone was respectful, when the movies turned to shit we made our own entertainment. If you want to enjoy some of these movies without the snarking why don't you just stay at home and watch it on DVD. Don't be drag!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:10 am 

Last edited by Jaws3dfan on Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:34 pm 

Anyone who is really bothered by snarking, I urge you to come to the halfathon next year (if there is one). I had several reasons for choosing the 1/2 this year (the main one being that I'm broke, and it was either that or no marathon at all for me), but I was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was. There were maybe 20 people there and I heard no callbacks whatsoever during any of the films. A few people snarked amongst themselves during some of the cheesier flicks, but not so loudly that everyone could hear them. There was plenty of room and there was only 5 minutes between films. I can't tell you how nice it was to just be able to watch and enjoy the films without it turning into a free-for-all. It was a breath of fresh air (almost literally, if you catch my drift).

For the record, I don't mind a little snarking here and there (if it's genuinely funny) but some people insist on taking it too far. I sincerely hope that the non-snarkers in the audience will consider the 1/2-thon as a legitimate option in the future. Maybe we can continue it as a tradition, the "anti-snarking" 'thon if you will. Come over to the dark side... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:14 pm 

By the way, my comments above were not meant to be critical of the Marathon as a whole, just to the few audience members who have to ruin it for everyone else with their extraneous noise. I think it's too late to turn back frankly, as too many people are convinced that the marathon is their annual opportunity for a personal MST3K-style snark-a-thon. But if you just want to relax and enjoy the films, the halfathon is the way to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:02 am 

Commenting on this post again for two reasons. First, it is good for people to remember the people around them during the marathon. Second, I'll be in the same shoes as Usinoh this year, as my 16 year old daughter is going to attend for the first time. She'll likely be the girl reading a Star Wars novel in the Drexel Cafe during the violent Japanese film, which she's not going to want to see. She's heard about this event for years, is much more into sci-fi than I am, so I've decided it is time for her to experience it. And after her first AMC Best Picture Showcase, she decided she was ready.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:16 pm 

I don't mind snarking or riffing on the cheesball flicks. Two years ago it the lineup was filled with cheesy flicks. Now I know that people will yell Khan at Star Trek II. There will be times to poke fun at Logan's Run.

There is time for riffing and a time for quiet. Just mind other people around you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:22 am 

SRCputt wrote:
... And after her first AMC Best Picture Showcase, she decided she was ready.

I've been to the AMC Best Picture Showcase for the last two years. Love these events.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:56 am 

Was this at the Easton or the Lennox location and the start time?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:01 pm 

There will be the JR Sci Fi Thon this year. I purchase my bottle of NOS Energy Drink the 16-20 oz size for a pick me up during the wait. Heck Krogers send me an dollar off coupon so I used it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:15 pm 

Actually, I attended the AMC Best Picture showcase near Cincinnati at Newport. I believe all the AMC showcases started at 10:30 am this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:16 pm 

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:42 am 

willcail wrote:
Was this at the Easton or the Lennox location and the start time?

Last year it was only at Easton, but this year I went to the Lennox. The start time was 10:30am (first movie was Milk).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:10 am 

10:30AM?! That sounds doable. Since I'm depended on COTA in the foreseeable future.

Post subject: On a different note
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:15 pm 

I sit with a friend who loves to snark. It's just his nature. He is considerate though and will stop for movies you feel shouldn't be snarked at. Yet every year when someone is not into it they are COMPLETE assholes and treat him like shit to make him stop. If you are the kind of person who turns around and tells him to "Shut the fuck up" or screams from three rows back then I ask you to reconsider your methods. How hard is it to be polite and just ask, "Hey man, do you think you can chill out during this movie? I really want to see it without the jokes."

Every time someone acts like this it makes me so pissed off and instead of enjoying myself I want to punch people the entire marathon. So please if you are not into the snark use your big boy/girl words and ask politely. If you're not into it at all I'd advise you to move instead of yelling at him the entire marathon. Some movies you just can't help yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:31 pm 

I would urge consideration on both sides. Yes, there are some films that are SO bad that you can't help yourself. I've been guilty of it too. My problem is with the people who do it continuously, during EVERY film. It's the snarking during the good films (that don't deserve it) that bothers me most. If the film really sucks, then have at it. I couldn't care less.

Actually, it's gone even beyond the snarking for me. At last year's Sci-Fi a guy sat in front of me who gave an actual running commentary during every single film that he saw (thankfully, he wasn't there for every film). It was like he was recording his own personal DVD commentary or something! And it didn't help that most of his comments were stupid, and no one on Earth would actually care to hear them. I wanted to yell, "Who CARES, man?" every time he spoke. But he was about three times my size, so I decided that would not be the wisest course of action. I generally try not to bother people during the marathon anyway, so I probably wouldn't have said anything no matter what.

Just be considerate of others, is all I have to say. There is a way to snark without bugging the entire audience. And if people are telling you you're not funny... you're REALLY not funny.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next