The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:55 pm 

I had a blast. This year was the first time I've made it to the end. I made it back to Cincinnati around 3:00, caught a two-hour cat nap and then headed to work until 1am. I don't know my own name and fear I have forgotten to wear pants, but my geeky cup runneth over.

Thanks again and I can't wait until next year!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:58 pm 

I must say that I agree on thanks being necessary. This is by far the most fun I have ever had, and everyone was so nice. I can't believe that I didn’t know about this earlier!! So thanks all for making my first sci fi marathon a memorable one, and oh yes you have lured me back for another year!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:26 pm 
Site Admin

Just wanted to echo a huge thanks to Bruce, Jeff, and ALL the Drexel staff who were involved. Plus, I'd also like to echo Bruce's thank-you to all the attendees (and those who were there in spirit, if not in body) without whose support these things would never be possible.

Look for the History pages to be updated sometime this week. Frankly, I'm still in too much of a coma to unbury the scanner :shock: .

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:27 am 

Bruce, Jeff and the staff of the Gateway,

Thank you for going to the time and effort of aranging this thing. I can't imagine the nightmare it must be, especially in the face of "This is terrible" chants, or screams at the projection staff.

To my fellow marathoids,

Thank you for making this a great start of marathons at our new home. Surprisingly little "I can't believe that jerk" behavior.

And hey, Bob and Dennis, nice to officially meet you, after years of talking to you in line. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:22 am 

Not sure which of you Kman is, but glad you and your friends made it. I hope they had a good time as well, and that you bring even more new blood next year.

As usual, thanks to Jeff, Bruce, Joe (Bruce did put him to work for a bit and that was me comparing him to Richard Benjamin), the staff at the theater, especially the projector folks. As Bruce said, there was a biot of a learning curve, and I saw his head go in his hands at the start when things got rough, but as the show progressed it generally got better. I was disappointed the manager didn't come out to help up with our Roy Roger's Rider's Club meeting, but we can't have everything, I guess. :)

Oh, a special thanks to the White Castle Folks who keep helping us every year. My nose agrees with the concept of not having White Castles there, though my stomache thinks it would be a swell idea. Seriously, though, thanks for the plastic cups for the drink deal. It made it easy for the staff to know we were a part of the deal and they were stable after multiple uses. I always keep hoping one year, we will start getting marathon cups, I would think they would not be that expensive, but they might be for the limited number we would have.

Looking forward to next year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:36 pm 

Everything that everyone else in this thread has already said, only a hundred times over!!! Bruce, YOU ARE THE MAN!!!! :D

Where's a damn bowing up and down 'we're not worthy' emoticon when you need one? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:58 am 

One other big tip of the hat to whoever decided to let us in at 10:30. It was so nice to be able to get settled and our stuff together and not feel so rushed. I heard it might have been the brainchild of the fetching young lady in the Star Trek Uniform who has done a great job at the Grandview over the last several years for both types of 'thons and hopefully Jeff is paying her what she is worth. I know she was the one who came up with the holodeck theme at the entrance at the Sci Fi last year, at least I think it was last year.

Any how, whoever it was who came up with the 10:30 entrance time, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:22 pm 

Just thought I'd add my hearty thanks to everyone involved as well. This was the first sci-fi marathon I've attended and I loved every minute, what a great job from all concerned. A definite shout-out to the fantastic Gateway staff, who remained friendly and helpful throughout the night and into the next day. This comfortable venue definitely gets my vote for future marathons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:03 pm 

I guess I need to be on the internet more often. A couple days after the marathon I didn't see any discussion about it on the Drexel Film Forum... Now I see it's all going on here!

I had a great time; as did my usual partner for the marathons. I'll add my thanks and appreciation to all who took part in planning and putting on the marathon. Not only did you do yourselves proud but the theater turned out to be a nice place to hold the marathon.

For me and my friend there is always a lot of anticipation in the weeks and months leading up to it. It seems like a rite of spring anymore. Back when the weather was cold we began to wonder what the date of the marathon would be, what the line up would be, etc.

I saw many familiar faces that I've seen at marathons past. It's a pretty good feeling to attend and know there are others like you doing the same thing.

Again, thanks to all who worked so hard to bring us the marathon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:31 pm 

Thanks to Bruce and Jeff and the whole staff. I love this time of year. I've been coming since 1990 with a five year gap after the Drexel North closed. I'm so glad I returned. I met a lot more regulars this year and can finally place a face to some names. I hope a 24 hour horror marathon is in the works as hinted. Can't wait to next time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:31 am 

I can't read this thread without throwing in my own 'thanks'.

This really was a great year for the Marathon - which means a lot of work must have gone into it.

Thanks Bruce, for your help in making it happen - especially this year, despite the loss of a family member. Hang in there, and we'll see you next year.

Thanks Jeff, for your part in this. The Gateway is an awesome theater, rivals the Grande. Thanks also to Jeff's daughter (she designed the shirts and did a lot of work around the theater). In short, thanks to everybody involved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:11 pm 

Wanted to add a big ditto to the above and also not forget to mention a tip of the hat to Jenbowie and Zekestrom for putting together and maintaining this great new cyberhome. Makes me feel good I have some place to visit while I'm physically miles away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:58 pm 

IamJacksUserID wrote:
Wanted to add a big ditto to the above and also not forget to mention a tip of the hat to Jenbowie and Zekestrom for putting together and maintaining this great new cyberhome. Makes me feel good I have some place to visit while I'm physically miles away.

I second that for sure and I also want to thank Bruce for personally providing the awesome sci-fi music and audio clips that we heard throughout the thon and all over the theater, it was great. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:26 am 

I missed the slides though that often occur during the breaks. Probably a techincal limitation and not horribly disruptive, I just have gotten used to Godzilla burning down Revco/CVS.