The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:20 am 

I edited my orignal post, but thought I would slap the relevant portions in a new message for those that probably wouldn't notice the edits. This has to do with my complaints about a group I thought was rude. I got a PM from one of the memebrs of this group. First, a tip of the hat to the guy for using a PM to avoid any flaming. I think though, since I made comments that were perhaps not true, or at least shaded by my perception of events, I thought it was only fair that his side gets heard.

One complaint. Actually several complaints about the same group. It was a group of three folks, 2 guys and a girl. They must've gotten in line late and were trying to find three seats in the center of the theater together. They tried some seats in front of us, but someone was holding seats so they were off center a bit. After King Kong all of my group (my friend, my nephew and I) went out for soda, er, pop. So did the guy next to us. When we got back to our seats, my nephew found a sweathirt on his seat. It turns out this group of three had moved up to our row and had taken the lone guy's seat and the two empty seats next to him. When the lone guy got back they looked at him stupidly when he told them they were in his seat. I repeated what he said, saying they had taken his seat. They looked at me like I was speaking another language. They wouldn't move. Fortunately we had an empty seat next to us, so we shifted down one and the lone guy had a seat. They were trying to find seats together and noticed that the emtpy seat next to us, and the two empty seats next to the sweatshirt guy. Since we were in the lobby they took the seats assuming that we would move down one seat. I agree that using a set to hold stuff and keeping folks from sitting in it is bad form. I'm not sure why they didn't say that, he mentioned I raised my voice so maybe he was trying to avoid trouble. He said he and the guy in the sweatshirt talked and were cool about it later, which is nice. If we hadn't all went to lobby, he probably could have asked us, I'm still hung up on the fact he didn't seem to say anything at the time. Oh, he did say the staff told him they were going to make an announcement about having folks move around so there weren't empty seats. If that announcement was made I didn't hear it, but my friend and nephew were both running a bit behind so I was out of the theater helping my nephew when he finally go there.

I understand wanting to sit with your group. I understand wanting a nice seat. If you want both, I suggest you find a sacrifical member of the group to grab a spot in line. I have no idea if they read this or not, but just throwing it out there. It all wroked out, and we didn't have to call the staff in. He points out, rightly, I think, the staff would have just had us shift down, which is why we did that. I was tempted to, but didn't want to disrupt the marathon because of this.

The next thing they did was one of them would shake the chair of the guy diagnally in front of hime whenever he fell asleep and started snoring. He never told the guy why he was shaking his chair, I guess he just assumed that the guy knew he was snoring. According to the guy, he actually told the snorer the first time he was snoring very loudly. He didn't bother the later times, which is when I saw him. I missed him saying that to him, which is easily possible. Snorers don't bother me, I am able to tune them out (20 years or so of martahon experience :)), though I can see where it is disruptive to other folks. There was another one in the seat next to my friend.

The last gripe about this group was even though they were left of center (as facing the screen, they always walked to the right aisle (across us) when they came either in or out, even though that meant they walked in front of more people. Had they not stolen the other guy's seat, and kept waking up the snorer, I probably wouldn't have cared about them stepping over us. He said this was nitpicky on my part and he is right. In my defense, as I said, it was a cumulative thing. I wouldn't have noticed or cared, without the other "transgressions."

In retrospect I should have probably tried a bit harder to talk to them instead of letting it bug me. I am glad he was able to read my original post and clear some of this up. I think we will probably agree to disagree about their initial move in, though I know there have been times in life where I have subscribed to the theory of it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. I hope I fairly presented his side.