The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SF25 Debriefing
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:08 pm 

Someone has to get it started, right? And since I'm actually still awake, I guess it'll be me this year. A big thanks goes out to Jeff and Bruce, as always, for making it another fun experience. It's only my second year so far, but there's a good chance that I'll be a regular. Now if I could just convince any of the 10 friends that said "yeah, I want to go!" a month ago to follow through when its actually time to buy tickets. Oh well. Easier to find a nice aisle seat in the middle section when you're there alone, right?

Firstly, mega-applause for bringing in Patricia Neal. Her Q&A was fantastic and she's a riot. The Keanu Reeves bit was priceless and the fact that she said A Face in the Crowd was her favorite too just solidified that she's a rock star. Thank you again so much. Big time kudos for that one.

Was I the only one surprised at how comfortable the Drexel was for that long? I was a little apprehensive at first, but I was a lot more comfortable than I thought. I'm not sure how it was for the people on the sides, but I do think all of us tall people do have one complaint. There's not a long of leg space in that theater, so I ended up getting up during every intermission, just to stretch my legs (which, of course, means I also made a few impulse buys at the concession stand and cafe, so maybe Jeff knew exactly what he was doing). I'm sad that it wasn't at Gateway this year, but things happen and the theater worked out pretty well I thought.

As for the movies:

Battlestar Galactica: I have to admit, I'm not really a fan of Battlestar, so I wasn't as into this movie as I'm sure others were. Still, it was pretty decent and anything that features Rick Springfield has to be good, right?

Sputnik Mania: I dug this movie. I thought it was very interesting since I'm a youngin and wasn't born during all of that. I'm glad they were able to push back the Patricia Neal Q&A a little bit so we could watch it all in one sitting.

The Day the Earth Stood Still: What can you say about this movie? It's a classic and we all know it and we all love it.

Journey to the Seventh Planet: A snarkers delight, even though it meant we all had to sit through WAY too many uranus jokes. I don't think it was quite as good/ridiculous as King Dinosaur last year though.

The Andromeda Strain: The unexpected highlight of the year. I tried to read the book years ago and never did, so I wasn't expecting too much, but I thought this movie was great. It's unfortunate that the print got interrupted twice, but if that's what it takes to get a print that nice, it's a minor price to pay.

Big Man Japan: Honestly, I have no words. This is the most ridiculous movie I've seen in a while so obviously I dug it. Just weird, crazy fun.

Lady Terminator: A few friends and I do a weekly night of bad movies (creatively called bad movie night by us) and I'm pretty sure we need to add this to the list of stuff to find. Chopping Mall and Night of the Comet were big hits from last year and this will carry on the tradition.

1984: The main reason I came this year, I love the book and I love the movie and it's nearly impossible to get ahold of, so any chance to see it on the big screen and I'm there.

Pitch Black: That was a lovely 2 hour nap I had. Thank you Vin Diesel for making such crappy movies.

Stranger from Venus: Basically a second-rate version of The Day the Earth Stood Still. I totally could have extended nap time and wouldn't have minded.

A Clockwork Orange: Again, what can you say about this movie that hasn't been said a zillion times already? It's a classic for a reason.

Well, that's all I got. It's weird having written all of that, because even though I liked a bunch of the movies, it didn't feel quite the same as last year. Not quite enough fun stuff in there as last year. Still, a bunch of good movies in there and I enjoyed myself again. Can't wait to see what you guys come up with next year.

And oh yeah, go check out my new film blog, GarageSaleCineaste

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:02 pm 

Even though I only stayed until about 130 AM, had a good time.

This was my first time to this theatre. My initial thought about the theatre was "God, this is small" but I think it had about the same number of seats as the Grandview, just oddly situated being wider than it is long. Sound could've been louder for some films. Fairly comfortable seats and the cafe was awesome... just not sure they have the space to handle us. Was a bit cold for most of it... my fault for not bringing a jacket and being too cheap to buy a sweatshirt (though had there been sweatshirts of the hoodless variety, I would've splurged).

The movies:

Battlestar Galactica - Fun way to start the marathon. Not as bad as I remember it but by no means good. Nice print though... too bad they can't all be like that.

Sputnik Mania - Cool little documentary. Being a fan of the space program, not much that I didn't know but put together entertainingly enough.

Day the Earth Stood Still - Amazes me each time I see this film how well it stands up. One of the best.

Journey to the Seventh Planet - Wow... not as bad as Robot Monster but it's up there. Had difficulty hearing this one though.

The Andromeda Strain - This was the end for me. Though I did finish it, I knew I wasn't going to recover. A good film, but not one to see after 10 hours in a theatre at 11 PM or so.

Big Man Japan - Was really looking forward to this one... but the knockout punch of Andromeda Strain and the rather slow beginning of this made me call it a night after about 15 minutes.

Though it was my earliest marathon departure ever, still had a good time and look forward to horror in October and sci-fi next year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:14 pm 

This was the 8th marathon for my friend and I. This was the first time we made to to the end and received the treasured chrome certificate. hopefully it won't be the last time we do that. We will, of course, be back next year. 10:30 AM Saturday to 12:30 PM Sunday made 26 hours and we really enjoyed it.

Patricia Neal was a great great guest.

I really liked the Bexley. Much better than the Grandview. I like the shape. The side sections were just fine.

My favorites this year were The Day the Earth Stood Still and Battlestar Galactica. Biggest Disappointment: Clockwork Orange.

We had a great time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:51 pm 
Site Admin

Now that I'm at least a little bit rested, I feel I might as well throw my 2 credits in.

First, as always, a huge thanks to Bruce, Jeff, and all the people involved. Most every Marathon has its moments, but this year was definitely exceptional.

The Marathon History page is updated, though expect more fixes, additions, etc as the days progress:

http://www.vitruvianzeke.com/Marathonia/Marathonia.html#SF25

As always, my opinions here do not reflect the opinions of the Organizers, Staff, or the Weyland-Yutani Corporation. Your mileage may vary. Offer void in Utah.

That said, let's get down to it ...

Battlestar Galactica - Ok, I know it wasn't the greatest. But I have to say that overall it was well worth seeing. It's one of the iconic Sci-Fi Television offerings of my generation, and I know I've got a lot of attached nostalgia, but Dykstra successfully ported the Star Wars philosophy of SFX to episodic television, and it made a mark. Even the trailer break didn't bother me too much ... as someone else said, it made it feel like two 1 hour episodes with one big commercial break between them. I for one was happy to see if on the big screen (a rarity, to be sure.) The archival print was outstanding.

Sputnik Mania - Unfortunately, my Radio Cafe burger run took longer than expected and I missed more of this than I would have liked. It's a fascinating time in history, and the documentary is exceptional (the video-based sound problems notwithstanding.) I really loved The Atomic Cafe when it aired at SF9, so this was well worth the time in my book.

The Day the Earth Stood Still - The print could have been in better shape, but how can you argue with any presentation of this classic? It's one of my top Marathon favorites of all time for good reason. And having Patricia Neal attend was the jewel in the crown. Absolutely fantastic.

Journey to the Seventh Planet - What can one say about this, really? I mean, there's at least one every Marathon. My friends and I thought about heading out to dinner, but to miss all that fine imaginary Danish flesh would have been just too tragic.

The Andromeda Strain - Wow. Wow. Wow. I've loved this Robert Wise classic for decades now, but I have never seen (on any media or at any time) a print as pristine as this one. Not only is this in my category of "must see" classic Science Fiction films, but this print was the opportunity to see it. I hope people managed to stay for it, because a classic print like this comes along very rarely. Not since the showing of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea or Mothra have I seen one this worthwhile. The clarity was so good toward the end, I was actually able to see the dust from the disintegrating polychron gaskets on the hatch when Hall opens it to go into the central corridor. If there's a crowning moment at this Marathon for me, this is definitely it.

Big Man Japan - I have to admit, I really liked this film. I wasn't quite as gung-ho on it when the ending went all surrealist Power Rangers on me, but in its own peculiar way it fits and I was way into digging it anyway by that time. Big Man's Thumbs Up for this one.

Lady Terminator - Boy. If I'd realized that films were getting this bad in the 80's, I might have been turned off of cinema forever. Not that it wasn't perfect Marathon fare, but still ... the watching of bad movies is a painful obsession. While I admit it's the only place I'd ever get to see it on the big screen ... I'm not really sure that's a good thing.

Nineteen Eighty-Four - I've always considered this another of the "must see" Science-Fiction classics. That said, exhaustion does take it toll, and I find that there are some significant gaps in my memory on this one. Still, I've seen it many many times already so the loss was minimal. Undeniably classic, wish I could have been better rested for it. Still, downer ending film, this was the best slot for it.

Pitch Black - To those who chose to sleep through this, well, I do feel sorry for you. I've pushed for this at a Marathon for some time now. To all the people who expected "XXX versus the Aliens", I hope you found more than you bargained for here ... and I hope you were able to stay awake long enough to enjoy the film. I've thought this was a gem of an offering for several years - a compelling story thoughtfully told and well executed. I hope at least a few people were introduced to its finer points. It's no "Blade Runner" or "Aliens", but I think it's well worth the time.

Stranger From Venus - Ok, I admit it ... I have BIG gaps in memory where this film is concerned. But looking back - I don't think I missed a lot. The plot certainly wasn't hard to pick up when I winked back to reality. Something tells me I saw exactly as much of this one as I needed to see.

A Clockwork Orange - I've loved it before. I loved it again. It never grows old. Granted, I winked out for a few moments here and there, but I know the film so well at this point I can almost fill in the dialog from memory. I ate a big plate of spaghetti and drank a tall glass of Milk Plus when I got home just in its honor.

That's about it for now ... sleep and employment call me back to the Abyss. Again, wonderful to see everyone at the event, I hope everyone had as wonderful a time as I did.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:04 pm 

VitruvianZeke wrote:

The Marathon History page is updated, though expect more fixes, additions, etc as the days progress.

I wanted to add an update to your hall of marathonia for SF19 since you did not attend. The upside-down and backwards presentation that year was the trailer for Terminator 2, the film with the goof that started it all. I'm not sure if this kicked off the annual tradition or not. Does anyone know if they had an upside down/backwards moment at SF18? I wasn't there.
Also, the guests that year were Tex Hauser and Doug Miles, the "creators" of Don't Ask Don't Tell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:21 pm 

I wanted to express my deepest gratitude to Bruce Bartoo and Jeff Frank for keeping the marathon afloat all these years and apparently well into the future. The comments made by Bruce during the final intermission were very heartfelt and touching.

For anyone who wasn't there, basically Bruce was commenting on how old he felt and how every year, things get more difficult for him. Then when the marathon actually happens, he feels the satisfaction that it was all worth it. He talked about how easy it would be to just walked away, but assured us that he was not going to anytime soon.

If I still lived there, I would offer Bruce whatever I could for help. I challenge all of you marathon veterans to get involved. Shoot Bruce an email, let him know you are there for him and for the marathon. From what I could gather, one of the difficult things for him has been the programs and the fliers. So I imagine he could use a right hand man with printing and/or artistic skills.

Remember, he does all this for us. That warm feeling of satisfaction he gets every year is because of us, the fans. So please, if you are a returning fan of this event, do your part and show your appreciation and gratitude. If we do that, then we will have our marathon for as long as we want it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:00 pm 

The 25th Ohio 24hr science fiction marathon did not disappoint. I had never been to that Drexel before and I have to say that it was a great theater. I loved the radio café; they have great burgers and a nice selection of sides. Who would have thought that you could go to a movie marathon and eat potato salad? I thought that was pretty cool.

Okay, on to the list …

Battlestar Galactica – I LOVED THIS!! I was a battlestar fan as a kid. When they remade the TV series I was so excited. When I watched the pilot episode, I was so disappointed. All the “fracking” gets so annoying. But I digress. I loved this one.

Sputnik Mania – I really liked it. I don’t know if it’s my age or what (in the last couple of years I have become a fan of the history channel) but I found it very interesting. It was cool to see a young John Glenn.

The Day the Earth Stood Still – One of my absolute favorites. This is the movie that created the standard for classic sci-fi for me. Seeing the fabulous Patricia Neal in person was a highlight of the event. Even in her 80s, she’s still as sassy as ever. (not “Space Thing” sassy but, oh, you know what I mean)

Journey to the Seventh Planet – Bad sci-fi is so important for a successful marathon, and boy was this bad sci-fi.

The Andromeda Strain – I love the story, but the movie’s pacing is too slow. This was the first of only two points in the marathon that I started nodding off. Did we really need to watch 10 or 15 minutes of them getting decontaminated on 5 different floors? I’m really looking forward to the new made-for-TV version that will air on Memorial Day. Hope the pacing is better.

Big Man Japan – This was my favorite movie of the marathon. It was weird, and funny, and the ending made me laugh so much my sides started hurting.

Lady Terminator – If any movie was made for snarking, it’s this one. I know a lot of people had a problem with the snarking this year, but I like it. I’ve never actually made any comments myself, but I like it. It’s a part of the marathon. Maybe it’s because the loudest people were not close to me, but I didn’t hear any that were too obnoxious. I’m okay with the snarking, as long as they know which movies to keep quiet through.

1984 – Great book, classic story, and thoroughly depressing. But to quote one of my favorite movies, “that’s what life is, a series of down endings.” However, I don’t think its timeslot was that great. In addition to being the second, and last, time I nodded off during the marathon (my best track record of staying awake so far) I think I heard more snoring during that movie than during any other movie of any marathon I’ve ever been to.

Pitch Black – I think people dismiss this movie as just another Vin Diesel disaster. I know that Vin has made some horrible movies, but this is not one of them. This is an example of great modern day Sci-Fi.

Stranger from Venus – Just a cheap knock off of The Day the Earth Stood Still. No special effects, bad writing, and a waste of Hollywood’s money.

A Clockwork Orange – One of Kubrick’s best. You must be okay with ultra violence before attempting to watch this film. I think it’s a blast. Malcome McDowell was great in his role and the film was a great choice to end the marathon with.

Trailers and Shorts – First, the Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull trailer got a lot of applause despite jokes about Ford’s age earlier in the day. This movie’s gonna be great, show the sci-fi marathon hall of famer some respect. Second, I ABSOLUTLY HATE SPACE BOY. But upside down and backwards, it wasn’t so bad. And finally, bring back Gravity. It's my favorite short. Maybe Big Sister being willing to attend a 'thon can speed along the process of bringing back Gravity.

I thought the marathon was great, the theater was more than adequate, and the selection of food was the best thus far. I had a lot of fun and am already looking forward to next year.

KLAATU BARADA OHIO!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:07 pm 
Site Admin

The upside down and backwards tradition actually began at the 17th Annual 'Thon at the Continent, the Time Warp year. The festivities were bookended by TERMINATOR and TERMINATOR 2: JUDGMENT DAY. About an hour into TERMINATOR 2 a reel came on upside down and backwards. Since the film was on a platter projection system it would have taken 45 minutes to an hour to correct the problem. Not what you want to do 23 hours into the 'Thon. So we all just went along, helplessly, for the ride.

Upside down and backwards can be strangely appealing in its own demented way. Backwards sound, a la LSD-era Beatles, over-the-top metalheads and 'round-the-bend conspiracy theorists, can be a surprise laden treat, and going back to the earliest days of cinema folks have always enjoyed backwards action. When it's a familiar piece and you know where it's been and where it's headed, even more fun. So we ran with it!

If I'm not mistaken (a very big "if") the upside down and backwards you're remembering was the music video for THE LAST ACTION HERO. Off the top of my head some other intentional inversions were the SLITHER trailer last year because we had to drop it from the lineup. One year it was THE CHUBBCHUBBS. This year it was SPACEBOY. With its upside down shots of swinging beads and general level of weirdness, it didn't seem all that different.

I always enjoy the upset reactions from one or two rookie marathoids unfamiliar with the tradition. Slightly cruel and unusual to be sure, but the long term psychic damage is only in the interest of building a better and more tolerant marathoid for the future. This year with SPACEBOY is the first time I can remember not having at least one newbie complaining about the projectionists "mistake". Another victory for SPACEBOY!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:39 pm 

bar2b2 wrote:
If I'm not mistaken (a very big "if") the upside down and backwards you're remembering was the music video for THE LAST ACTION HERO. Off the top of my head some other intentional inversions were the SLITHER trailer last year because we had to drop it from the lineup. One year it was THE CHUBBCHUBBS. This year it was SPACEBOY. With its upside down shots of swinging beads and general level of weirdness, it didn't seem all that different.

You are correct, sir! It was I who was like Roger Clemens's trainer and misremembered. Dave has the history of the upside down/backwards mapped out on his history page all the way back to SF20. I was just wondering if The Last Action Hero at SF19 was the first of the intentional clips following the SF17 occurence.

I too was amazed at how unchanged SPACEBOY felt upside down and backwards. It even took me a few beats to realize what was going on.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:41 pm 
Site Admin

IamJacksUserID wrote:
The upside-down and backwards presentation that year was the trailer for Terminator 2, the film with the goof that started it all.

Excellent! Thank you both IAmJack and Bruce. The page should be updated now. Missing 18 and 19 left some nasty gaps in my records, and everything prior to the time warp at 17 is a little sketchy by nature. Ah, if only I knew then what I know now.

As always, if people can remember and verify details that I've missed, let me know. There is an outstanding project to get with Bruce, Jeff, Joe, Jen, any and all of the above to try and flesh out the Marathon history pages. Someday maybe we'll actually have a free moment to get to it. Meanwhile, Bruce has been most generous and forgiving of my questions :).

And I have to admit, when Spaceboy started it took me a while to catch on. I remember thinking, "Man, those lyrics are even more garbled than usual. Is there a sound problem?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:11 am 

Battlestar Galactica: As some of the others mentined this was one of the early staples of my childhood. I actually like the new series quite a bit, though the Frak does get a bit tiring at times. The print was good, the story is still pretty good and the bit about Disco Vision just makes it that much better.

Sputnik Mania: I liked it but the digitial projection and related audio issues took quite a bit away from it. If we stay at the East, I think either the vidoe projection capabilites need improved or not shown. I was a big advocate of showing a documentary, I was disappointed in the presentation, though the content was interesting.

The Day the Earth Stood Still: As others have mentioned the print had some issues, but wan't too bad. The movie is still great. I lived in DC for 8 years and that does add something to the film for me. The Mall hasn't changed much since this was filmed. There are a few less trees and the ball fields are not so well defined, but most of DC still looks like it did in the movie. It is easy to pick out scenes shot on Q St. or Pennsylvania Ave.

Patricia Neal: Very good Q&A and a very sweet lady. I still think Ed Kemmer is my favorite of the sci fi guests. I almost felt a bit uncomfortable as she struggled with some answers but she was aware of the problems stemming from her stroke so it was not as uncomfortable as it might have been.

Journey to the Seventh Planet: I didn't think it was possible to have too many Uranus jokes. Shows what I know. I was left wondering if that was Earth Vs. the spider footage they reused or if that was new closeup footage of a spider.

Costume Contest: Best in a while. I keep thinking some year I am going to talk to Bruce about putting some money together for a cash prize to help motivate folks to compete. Mothra clearly won, but the vocal Ro-Man faction kept it interesting. :) Given, the stage, the steps and the limited vision the two characters had, I was happy to see there were no falls. Seriously, nice job to both contestants.

The Andromeda Strain: Another beautiful print. It is very true to the book as I recall.

Big Man Japan: I wish it had been earlier, subtuitles that late are hard on the eyes. The pacing was slow at times, and I think if I had seen it earlier I might have enjoyed it more. I did like the background on the monsters and the down right silliness in some of them. I loved the ending. I think I may watch it again when I am not so tired and may find I enjoy it, as a whole, more.

Lady Terminator: I imagine if they did not get sued it was only because they had no money to make the effort worth it. While it was terrible, it was engaging in a strange sort of way and perked me right back up.

1984: Terrible time for it. But better than putting it as the closer. The print looked really good. I still prefer the book, but it is a solid film. I agree with the others about the razor comments.

Pitch Black: I actually really enjoyed this one and found it a nice pick me up after 1984. There actually was some thought put into the story, though my inner nitpicker had some issues with how much light would or would not keep the creatures at bay.

Stranger from Venus: I almost wish this had been before the Day the Earth Stood Still, just to more clearly do the compare and contrast. Or even better splice the two films togther and compare and contrast in real time.

A Clockwork Orange: A better film to end on than THX1138, but in some ways still kind of a downer to go out on, even if I was humming and signing Singing in the Rain out to the car and most of the way home. I do think the Gene Kelly clip should have been in front of the movie instead of in the opening trailers, but that is a minor difference of opinion. I have always avoided showing this movie to my wife because she really likes Singing in the Rain and I have to say once you see this, you can't watch Singing in the Rain without thinking of this film.

General comments: I've been spoiled by the Gateway and even the Grandview. My seat was very uncomfortable, my tailbone still hurts. No ones fault, just a comment. I have been scaling back on what I bring in over the years and I skipped the pillow this year. Big mistake.

It seemed the concession stand at the Drexel was not nearly as efficeint as the Grandview. The staff was very nice but just seemed slow or diorganized. The Cafe line also seemed slow, but given the nature of their food, that is understandable. I really enjoyed my burger. I've kind of given up on Pizza at marathons for digestive reason, but the pizza slices looked tempting.

The bathrooms were in good shape and there are more units than the Grandview which is a nice plus.

Kudos to Bruce on the trailers and shorts. As usual they were thoughtfully placed. It seemed like there were fewer than some years, but that could have been me.

The T- shirts were really nice, not sure why there were so many left this year. Kudos to Ms. Frank on her design. Last year I missed out on getting one because they went really fast. I do have to ask what an Extra Medium is. Is it just more medium than the other mediums?

Programs. Nice as always. Bruce, I know of at least one person who is both very familiar with page design and very familiar with your programs. If you truly want some help on things like that to make the burdne easier, she might be very willing to help. I know a bit about it as well, though I am not that artistic by nature.

The 10:30 entry. Was a couple minutes late, but was very smooth. Thanks to the volunteers. I like the early entry it helps us do a better job of getting out on time.

Bruce, if you need help please ask. I'm not sure who much we could do to take the load off, but if you can think of something folks could do to help, I bet some of us would be willing and maybe even able to do it. Even something as simple as picking up programs from Kinkos.

On that note, thanks to Bruce, Jeff, the projection folks and the staff for a very nice time. Hope to see you in the fall and again next spring. Also thanks to Bob, Frank, Aaron, John and the others at the front of the line for another charming morning of movie, TV and general scifi discussion and an entertaining game of Fluxx.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:20 am 

Back in Chicago now. Feeling rested. Still have that armrest pain in the side. This year is the first time I've ever left a Columbus marathon early. I drove up Friday and had to drive back Monday, so I thought it best to spend just a little more awake time with the family. I've seen Clockwork Orange a dozen times and 3 times at the theater. Would have loved to stay longer but had to leave after Pitch Black.

Thanks again to Bruce and Jeff and the Drexel staff and all volunteers. Another great weekend in columbus. I knew going in that this year was simply not going to top last year's near perfect programming (excepting Automotons, but that was a premiere and how could we know?). But Bruce and company did his usual standout job, projection problems aside.

Battlestar Galactica was a nice treat. I never watched the series but I enjoyd the pilot. Pretty revolutionary for 1970's television. A great print too. Maybe I'll start watching the new series on DVD.

Sputnik Mania. A pretty good documentary but not as good as fun as Atomic Cafe. I guess it's like Star Trek for me: I'd prefer they didn't play but only a few times in twenty years, I can handle.

Day the Earth Stood Still: A classic. Bad print was annoying though. Patricia Neal was a great guest. Very spunky for an 82 year old.

Journey to the Seventh Planet: Great cheese. Every marathon needs a couple of these.

Andromeda Strain: that was a great treat. Really slow in the middle but a beautiful print and thoroughly enjoyable.

Big Man Japan: Not as fun as I had hoped. I wanted more monster fighting and less mopey-loser mocumentary but still a lot of fun.

Lady Terminator: an absolute blast, just what I needed to wake me up before the next movie.

1984: A great movie and one of the titles I was most looking forward to. Surprisingly I did not fall asleep, but I did do a few head snaps. Pretty depressing movie but I loved it and another great print.

Pitch Black: I could not keep awake during the first half of this one. I got a second wind for the second half. It's not a bad movie. Not great. I enjoyed what I saw more this time than when in the theater. If I find the DVD cheap or used, I'll pick it up.

This is when I had to leave though. No Stranger From Venus and No Clockwork Orange for me (for the record I love Clockwork Orange). Great time all around. Definitely feeling my age these days but it will take a lot more than that to get me to miss one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:20 pm 

This year was very difficult to stay awake for the entire 'Thon. I really think Bruce has a sadistic side – 1984 at 4AM! The psychedelic and hypnotic short before Clockwork Orange! You just know he was daring us to try and stay awake. It was 1984 that did me in. I slept through that and Stranger on Venus.

Battlestar – I usually like a great classic or BIG anticipated film to kick of the event, but this was a very nice print and I had never seen it before.. Not bad for a TV show from the 70’s.

Sputnik – I did not watch this film. The sound was so distracting that I couldn’t even understand some of the dialogue of the film. I will try to catch up with this on video.

Day The Earth Stood Still – One of my favorite Sci-fi films, made all the better by the special guest appearance of Patricia Neal.

Journey To the 7th Planet – A unexpected fun time. Although it got snarked, I still enjoyed the film. This was fun to watch regardless. It didn’t rely on snarking to make it fun. I could watch this at home by myself and still have a good time. If you know me, you know that I am not a fan of snarking....but I digress.

Andromeda Strain – WOW! Nice Print! Never seen it before this. Really slow, so I am glad it played in this timeslot. I enjoyed this and wouldn’t mind revisiting on video.

Big Man Japan – Complete silliness, but a ton of fun. For those that thought it was slow, you just needed to bear out the first 20 minutes and then I thought the pace picked up nicely.

Lady Terminator – I love this film. Greatest Mullet ever! Nudity, violence, complete sillyness!

1984 – Zzzzzzz!

Pitch Black – I thought this was just OK when I first saw it in the theaters. I enjoyed it more the 2nd time around here at the 'Thon.

Stranger From Venus – Zzzzzzz!

Clockwork Orange – I had not seen this in about 10 years. What a film! At first, I thought it might not play well in the last time slot, but it worked fine.

Costume contest was the best it has been in years. The Café was terrific – Good food at all hours! The theater was nice – hopefully this becomes our permanent home. Thanks for all those who made this event happen!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:55 pm 

when exactly did the indy trailer and wall*e trailer get shown??....before which movie?...i can only think of one time i really got stuck in the line at the cafe, so please let me know:)...also, i'd love to stay in touch with all my fellow Zombie Fluxx players from the front of the line....shoot me an email to grgah2@yahoo.com and we'll talk :) ....Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:27 am 

I was the Fluxx player with the laptop who got the IM and a call on my blackberry one of the times it was my turn to draw.

As for Indy and Wall-E it was before Andromeda Strain, right after the costume contest.