The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 12:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:08 pm 

I was told by a ticket attendant at the Georgesville Square Regal Cinema that the 24 Hour Sci-fi marathon would not run next year or possibly ever again. He decided to tell me this as I was there buying tickets for Hellboy 2 yesterday. I'm not really sure why he said anything to me in particular, I wasn't wearing a marathoid shirt or anything of that nature that would tip off that I am an attendee. But anyway he then asked..."You attend the 24 hour sci-fi marathons?", which i replied "yes". After which he told me what he had heard. I didn't recognise him but he claimed to be a long time marathoid who has attended every single one, so perhaps by some fluke he recognized me maybe and decided to share that info with me.

Having not been online for months I came here to see if there was any news on this or if there had been some kind of anouncement, but obviously there is not.

Was this guy just full of bunk or is there any truth to this?

Color me confused.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:46 am 

I have been slammed with work so I haven't been by in a few days. Sorry for the delay in response. Bruce hasn't posted anything like that. I have no idea where that came from. I doubt it is true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:59 pm 

What would someone at a Regal Cinema know about the marathon??!! The marathon is its own force not run by corporate sellouts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:35 pm 

I am pretty sure that any news of this magnitude would be posted immediately by Bruce. We are a small, but loyal forum group and he understands how passionate we are about our annual gathering. He may not chime in very much, but he owes it to us to not leave us in suspense if circumstances beyond his control leads to the demise of this increasingly demanding passion project.

If you missed it, before the last film this year Bruce went on a jag about how difficult it has been in recent years to keep this thing afloat, concluding that it is all worth it in the end when everything comes together nicely and he sees the reaction of the fans (especially the old-timers like us). I have a feeling that when Bruce decides to "retire," we will all hear about it, probably during the last marathon. I am sure he wants to go out on his terms.

I wouldn't worry about it until at least February or so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:18 pm 

Infra-Kid wrote:
What would someone at a Regal Cinema know about the marathon??!! The marathon is its own force not run by corporate sellouts.

Well, he claimed to be a regular attendee himself, don't know if that's true or not. I asked him if he was a registered member of this forum and he said no.

There is a chance that he is a marathoid that is simply out of the loop, who perhaps was unaware of this year's marathon location and had gone to the Gateway in confusion instead and drew his own conclusions.

In any case thanks for explanations everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:39 am 

I really hope this is not true. Especially since I had to miss this year.

My gut tells me that the guy at Regal was just someone trying to be perceived as "in the loop"...One of those people who takes joy in being the first to tell you that you better go out and buy gas as soon as you can, because it's rumored that gas is going to be 8.00 a gallon by the end of the day.

I think if there were a shred of truth to it, we would have heard something officially on the forum.

In any case, the temporary churn of loss in my stomach makes me cherish the 'thon even more. Looking forward to the spring and seeing you guys again. Hope everyone's doing well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:31 am 

I hear it on GOOD authority, that this is a rumor.

I could tell you more, but then...........

:|