The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:40 am 

Based on the horror and dread in the voice of a woman sitting behind me at this concept, I couldn't resist suggesting a musical themed marathon.

I realize not all of these could be included, even when we do a theme, not every film fits, and there is the issue ofprint availability, etc.

-The Blob (Basically just for the theme song)
-Earth Girls are Easy (Again basically for one song, "Cause I'm a Blonde.")
-The Man who Fell to Earth
-Voyage of the Rock Aliens (Pia Zadorra and Jermain Jackson, who could resist?)
-The Apple
-The Rocky Horror Picture Show (this would likely have to be listed as a suprise, especially if we are at the Gateway. Granted it isn't quite as much fun without the props, but still...)
-Flash Gordon
-Heavy Metal
-Buckaroo Banzai
-Horror at Party Beach (Ok, a better fit at the horror marathon but if you can find a print and need to fill a slot)
-Metropolis (2002) I can no longer hear Ray Charles "I Can't Stop Loving You," and not think of the end of this film.

I know I left a few films out, mostly for personal taste reasons, but feel free to add your own ideas.

Oh, I think this shouldn't be next year's theme, I think it is too recent to show the Apple again, but maybe in 3 or 4 years.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:21 pm 
Site Admin

Dennis wrote:
Based on the horror and dread in the voice of a woman sitting behind me at this concept, I couldn't resist suggesting a musical themed marathon.

I realize not all of these could be included, even when we do a theme, not every film fits, and there is the issue ofprint availability, etc.

-The Blob (Basically just for the theme song)
-Earth Girls are Easy (Again basically for one song, "Cause I'm a Blonde.")
-The Man who Fell to Earth
-Voyage of the Rock Aliens (Pia Zadorra and Jermain Jackson, who could resist?)
-The Apple
-The Rocky Horror Picture Show (this would likely have to be listed as a suprise, especially if we are at the Gateway. Granted it isn't quite as much fun without the props, but still...)
-Flash Gordon
-Heavy Metal
-Buckaroo Banzai
-Horror at Party Beach (Ok, a better fit at the horror marathon but if you can find a print and need to fill a slot)
-Metropolis (2002) I can no longer hear Ray Charles "I Can't Stop Loving You," and not think of the end of this film.

I know I left a few films out, mostly for personal taste reasons, but feel free to add your own ideas.

Oh, I think this shouldn't be next year's theme, I think it is too recent to show the Apple again, but maybe in 3 or 4 years.

Alternatively, instead of the anime Metropolis, you could use the updated version of the 1927 classic with the Giorgio Moroder soundtrack (from 1984)...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:11 pm 
Site Admin

Be warned, showing both "The Apple" and "Voyage of the Rock Aliens" COULD cause an armed insurrection. Some patrons may miss the better films while writhing in the aisles in convulsive seizures.

Though I admit it would be a good opportunity to see which of the two is worse :) .

Last edited by VitruvianZeke on Mon May 01, 2006 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:29 pm 

And don't forget XANADU! And, a print exists as it's playing L.A. quite soon!

And, thinking of Olivia Newton John, she did a rare 70's film called TOMORROW which is also an SF musical. The only existing print played a couple of years back and Olivia even showed up. How brave of her! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:46 pm 
Site Admin

L.A. Connection wrote:
And don't forget XANADU! And, a print exists as it's playing L.A. quite soon!

And, thinking of Olivia Newton John, she did a rare 70's film called TOMORROW which is also an SF musical. The only existing print played a couple of years back and Olivia even showed up. How brave of her! :wink:

Oooh...Xanadu! "Xan-a-duuuuu! Xan-a-duuu-uuu. Now we are in here, in Xan-a-duuuu!" Gosh, I lurved that film when I was little...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:30 pm 

I guess you could count CAN'T STOP THE MUSIC as Village People were portrayed as straight to the American public. ;) Talk about Twilight Zone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:05 am 

I never really thought about Xanadu as SciFi, but it would fit nicely. That is a new thread I have been thinking of starting about the inclusion of a fantasy film into the lineup.

First movie with Gene Kely that I recall seeing, not counting That's Entertainment. I prefer Fred over Gene, but both were amazing at what they did. I kinda wish his last studio film would have been a bigger success.