The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BOSTON SF MARATHON 2009
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:00 am 

Here's what's showing in Boston on Feb. 15 and 16. You can be sure a couple of them will be Ohio as well:

THE THING (1951),
INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1978),
LOGAN'S RUN,
REPO MAN,
CHRYSALIS (Premiere),
ALIEN RAIDERS (Premiere),
IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE in 3-D!,
TRANSFORMERS,
RUNAWAY,
I MARRIED A MONSTER FROM OUTER SPACE,
KILLER KLOWNS FROM OUTER SPACE,
STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN

And check us out on our board: sf.theboard.net

Last edited by L.A. Connection on Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:43 am 

L.A. Connection wrote:
Here's what's showing in Boston on Feb. 15 and 16. You can be sure a couple of them will be Ohio as well:

THE THING (1951),
INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1978),
LOGAN'S RUN,
REPO MAN,
CHRYSALIS (Premiere),
ALIEN RAIDERS (Premiere),
IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE in 3-D!,
TRANSFORMERS,
RUNAWAY,
I MARRIED A MONSTER FROM OUTER SPACE,
KILLER KLOWNS FROM OUTER SPACE,
STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN

OMG that is a great line up!!! Hell if Bruce just duplicates that for Ohio it would be fine with me. How did they get Logan's Run?? RUNAWAY is a fun 80's Sci-Fi movie. Maybe Drop Transformers for John Carpenter's THE THING and bookend the marathon with THING movies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:53 am 

That is a great lineup. I wish Sergei was older, I would make a trip out of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:48 am 

Alien Raiders, a 3D film, transformers, KHHAAANN!! Great line up. Hope Ohio is just as good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:31 pm 

Oh, we also found a print of the STAR TREK BLOOPERS reel from the original series. It hasn't played the Marathon out here since the 70s!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:28 pm 

Let's just copy Boston's lineup with a few minor changes. Let's dump Star Trek 2-they tend to be very divisive audience splitters and we just sat through the first one 2 years ago. There's a reason only 2 Star Treks have played in the history of the marathon. Replace Transformers with just about anything-a test pattern even. Let's dump Killer Klowns because it just played a few years ago. Replace with They Live perhaps. And instead of the 1951 The Thing, let's play John Carpenter's The Thing. So our final lineup would be:

Alien Tresspass (premiere they just added)
Chrysalis (premiere)
Alien Raiders (Premiere)
John Carpenter's The Thing
They Live
Invasion of the Body Snatchers '78
Logan's Run
Repo Man
Runaway
It Came From Outer Space in 3-D
I Married a Monster from Outer Space

and 2 or 3 others that could be as amazing or terrible as anything in the past. I think that would be a pretty unbeatable lineup. Robocop played Boston recently as another suggestion. If this was the lineup and fliers got out 3 or 4 weeks before hand. I guarantee a sellout crowd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:59 pm 

Recent trends of our marathon have leaned toward not a whole lot of returning favorites. Your suggestions for things shown at past marathons due for a repeat would be very welcome, but we probably will not see more than one or two in the same year. I'm sure Bruce has more up his sleeve than repeating more than half of Boston's admittedly strong lineup.

Let us not forget other recent classics that played for our friends to the east that have yet to come here. Along with RoboCop, other notables include A Boy and His Dog and Blade Runner (I'm sure there are probably prints of the recent rerelease available). Then again, we had Flash Gordon, Westworld, and The Andromeda Strain when they didn't, so there.

At the very bare least drop-dead minimum, we had better see Logan's Run and Alien Raiders grace our screen this March.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:51 am 

Logan's Run is THE MUST HAVE of this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:10 am 

MEATFETISH wrote:
Logan's Run is THE MUST HAVE of this year.

I agree.

I also agree with replacing Transformers with just about anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:37 pm 

Who dares say "Dump Killer Klowns"? Killer Klowns rules! I'm still pushing for TerrorVision(which recently played NY with good crowds) and some Johnny Sokko. Plus some Green Slime,which packs them in at Cinema Wasteland.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:11 pm 

why was transformers so terrible...certainly not as bad...or as bad as anything else on the list.

I am always a fan of Star trek II so I would be hsappy to see it. I wish we could get a print of the Black hole, I love me's some VINCent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:50 pm 

Crosis101 wrote:
why was transformers so terrible...certainly not as bad...or as bad as anything else on the list.

Transformers may in fact be the worst movie ever made. I say this for a variety of reasons, though the main reason it tops my list is that they spent over $200 million dollars to make and market that migraine of a movie. It's just offensive to spend so much money on something so bad. Sure there are technically worse movies out there, but why pick on the little guys? But what makes it so bad you ask?:

1. The plot is ridiculous. The Transformers are actually looking for some mystical pair of bifocals?!!!! Eyeglasses!!! What is the sequel? Are they looking for a magical hearing aid? Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

2. The effects look like a video game. Do you know how boring it is to watch someone else play a video game for 2 and a half hours? It's pretty darn boring.

3. The editing causes epilectic seizures. I equate the physical experience of seeing that movie in the theater with someone during up their HD surround sound all the way and then flipping through all 400 channels...for 2 and a half hours.

4. The "cute" scenes with Bumblebee playing ironic music.

5. How about the scene where the Transformers are "hiding" from the parents in the backyard. Stupid.

6. The action scenes are incomprehensable, so much some that every single Transformer shouts out their name during the fights because even Michael Bay had to admit he had no idea what was going on.

People tell me that I'm too hard on this movie and that I should lighten up because it's based on toys. Pirates of the Carribean was based on an amusement park ride and it's a fun, competent movie. This just isn't. If you spend $200,000 and make a movie like this, I can forgive you. You spend $200,000,000 and make a movie this bad, and it's just obscene. I will actually give Automatons the edge between these two for this very reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:45 pm 

Wow, so I take it you don't care for the movie Transformers?

I don't have nearly as much vitrol as yourself, though I agree with all your points about the plot. I disagree about the effects. I thought the effects were realistic and made the film watchable. My problem with the effects is this: watching robots fight other robots is boring, especially since as you said it is so frenetic you can't even tell who's who.

The thing that bothered me the most about it was the setting. There must have been a sign just outside of the town that said "Welcome to the City of Massively Huge Abandoned Structures. Our deserted Warehouse Districts stretch on for miles!"

The movie is okay, but it does not fit into the spirit of our marathon. It's a big dumb recent action movie that I have no desire to see again. The spirit of our marathon is to appreciate classics and forgotten gems, not to rewatch recent blockbusters. It would just be a waste of 2 1/2 hours of space.

Well, I suppose the Boston folks are all watching Logan's Run right about now...

...sigh...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:39 am 

I dare say skip Killer Klowns. It played recently enough that there are other options that should play first. Infra-Kid, you mentioned three in your post.

And add me to the list of people who do not want to see Transformers this year. I've avoided seeing it so far, I'd prefer to contnue not to see it. I've seen enough terrible Michael Bay films already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:24 pm 

Infra-Kid wrote:
Who dares say "Dump Killer Klowns"? Killer Klowns rules! I'm still pushing for TerrorVision(which recently played NY with good crowds) and some Johnny Sokko. Plus some Green Slime,which packs them in at Cinema Wasteland.

I agree 100% Killer Klowns are great...and the Green Slime trailer is a hit year after year so if there is a print it deserves a showing at the marathon. If the 'thon was going to be at at a high tech theater like the Arena Grand I would say show off the sound system and run Transformers but since it's at the Drexel East there is no point, replace Transformers with another great recent classic movie that has never shown..like.......JASON X!!!