The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:11 pm 

THERE'S A REAL COOL DOC ON HARLAN ELLISON WITH ROBIN WILLIAMS CALLED DREAMS WITH SHARP TEETH THAT SHOULD MAKE FOR A GOOD PREMIERE. LET'S SEE IF WE CAN GET IT FOR THE MARATHON FOR A RARE SHOWING.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:53 pm 

There was a screening here in L.A. this week.

And - the highlight was:

HARLAN ELLISON stepped on ME! 8) 8)

First, the Movie. Even if you only know Ellison as the guy who wrote CITY ON THE EDGE OF FOREVER on the original TREK (and he's in the middle of a lawsuit over it right now, 40+ years on!), this is a highly enjoyable documentary. Ellison, of course, is the star of his own film, but guests interviewed are also informative on Ellison's life and work. This is isn't a, "he was born in X, then he did Y and then...." kind of doc. Ellison does readings from his work and there are clips going back to the 60s with interviews on Tom Snyder, The Today Show etc. Visually, this is no great shakes, but definately worth seeking out. The DVD is supposed to be out in June.

Then, Ellison took the stage with Josh Olson (screenwriter of Cronenberg's A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE, and co-writer with Ellison of a Masters of Science Fiction episode a couple of summers back). Of course Olson didn't get a word in edgewise as Ellison was just so - HARLAN - as he went on for well over an hour. At times, it seemed like the documentary hadn't ended - it was still going on Live! Ellison was wise, profane and even touching. He could segue from talking in EXCRUCIATING detail about BOTH times he had crabs, and then talk with deep emotion about his father. But, then it's back to bragging about his sexual exploits - with his wife, Susan, standing 10 feet away! Of course, not only has she heard it all before, but she can dish it back!

Ellison, of course, wrote the short story which multi-Marathon film A BOY AND HIS DOG was based on (and he wrote drafts of the script as well before LQ Jones wrote the final version). Ellison and Jones have argued for decades over the ending of the film, though Ellison admires the film overall. But, knowing LQ as I do, and having seen Ellison in action - the thought of those two together in a room arguing over the script for BOY must have been quite the fireworks display!

Oh, about getting stepped on by the man himself. A woman in audience wryly asked why her collector husband just "had" to buy both the Hardcover and Paperback versions of all Ellison's books. He, of course, LOVED the idea of getting paid twice by his readers. So, he ran up the aisle to praise her, and he stepped on ME to get to her!

Trailer for the film: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmfzKKM49uY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:39 am 

I missed having a guest this year, though it did allow for maybe one extra film. I love though, getting to see and hear folks like Ellison and others who have been in the business for ages. I find them much better guests than some of the younger folks we have had, with the possible exception of the Gravity crew.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:28 pm 

They are showing Dreams With Sharp Teeth on Sundance Channel and it is one of the best docs I've ever seen. Truly lets Harlan tell it like it is.

I have a DVDr and VHS copy of Gravity so no fear down the road.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:27 am 

Does he tell his story about working for Disney in this doc? That's one of my favorites - yea, Ellison's definately entertaining. :)

In any case, yea - I say, thumbs up to getting this doc for the marathon! Bonus points if we can somehow get Ellison himself to show up!