The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Marathon Essentials
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:42 pm 

I was just wondering what keeps everyone going throughout the marathon?

For me it's a blanket, a pillow, warm non candy food at least twice, Dramamine, 10 minute naps, and lot's of walking around. While I bring my own food and leave it in my trunk, I always hit the concessions too. I loved the Cafe last year. Coffee made a great addition to my marathon experience. It'd be awesome to have unlimited coffee but probably not cost effective.

Any ideas on how to make those Bexley chairs more comfortable? The arms on those things are beasts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:21 pm 

A pillow and a blanket are a must. As is a book or a Gameboy or something to do in line. Real food is an essential as well, though I rarely bring anything - instead I go after either the food in the cafe, or years past, I would order pizza.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:34 pm 

Remember to always to support the Drexel by going to the Cafe and the theater concession stand. This is how the Drexel get their revenue. The tickets is just to cover the rental fees of the film prints.

Note the Drexl Cafe no longer do Pizza. Please don't fill up on candy and popcorn, or there will be an horror thon in the restrooms.

I'll bring my new phone with me, since it have net access and have Katamari, Ghost n Golbins, Sonic 2, Space Invaders and other games. Bring my 16/20oz of Nos Energy Drink . Brimg ID for booze just in case and pick up after yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:18 am 

I bring two pillows, one for my bad back and one for my behind. I usually bring a coat instead of a blanket and wear it backward when I get cold. I usually bring a movie reference book and scrap paper as there are usually a few movie trailers for movies I want to know more about, and a book or two to read during the breaks, but rarely do they get opened. Usually, I visit with the people around me during the breaks.

Which brings me to a point. Despite some of the snarking/snorking posts, this is a great communal experience. While I usually go with my best friend, I did go alone one year when he couldn't make it. I had just as much fun.

While I drink some soda, I find to make it through the day water is the best drink of choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:33 am 

For me the main thing to bring is earplugs. Sometimes I just need to give my ears a break. It is also good if I decide to wimp out and nap for a bit.
I have never brought a blanket but I do bring a very warm shirt. I don't like having to much stuff with me. I find it feels crowded rather than comfy. Sometimes I'll take 4 or 5 am walk around the neighborhood. to clwear my head. Something I am more comfortable with in Bexley than at the Gateway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:29 pm 

I always stop at Big Lots on the way and pick up all kinds of snacks,drinks,etc. and can usually do a whole marathon by running back and forth to my car for under $7. I can usually get large bags of popcorn with cheese or hot spicy flavors for 60 cents just for example. Lots of drinks and energy drinks for 50 and 60 cents each. LA Connection is right with the vitamin/mineral upload. I take all the energy supplements of B-12,Chromium(sugar digestion) and bee pollen. Lots of C and Zinc keep the germs at bay. Sometimes though I have to work the night before the marathon and sleep will get me at some point. Running down the body before is not a good idea. Lots of sleep before plus cheap and good stuff will do it. I've been going since the beginning of the marathons in the 80s and I sure do wish they would allow you to bring in coolers and food again. It made things so much easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:07 pm 

I wear a comfortable hoodie because it's usually cold in the theater and it helps make a pillow later in the 'thon. I only drink water and stay away from to much junk food. I order a pizza around 6 or 7 which usually gets me through the rest of the 'thon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:17 pm 

A couple of things I always bring: breath mints/gun and antibacterial wipes. We're in there for 24 hours, some of us begin lining up 2-3 hours early... personal hygiene is very important to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:39 pm 

svarney wrote:
...some of us begin lining up 2-3 hours early...

Ahem. There is a strong contingent of folks who are there by 5 or 6 a.m.

What is this "2-3 hours early" you speak of? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:32 pm 

Quote:
Ahem. There is a strong contingent of folks who are there by 5 or 6 a.m.

What is this "2-3 hours early" you speak of? Wink

Wow, that's dedication:) Maybe I should have said "I get there 2-3 hours early with 15 or so people in front of me"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:06 pm 

Consession sales help keep the Marathons going. Plus it also help the theater going. Support the local theater.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:41 am 

Personal hygiene is a MUST! PLEASE WEAR AND BRING DEODERANT! A few years ago, I was stuck behind someone with the worst BO I've ever smelled in my life, and that was after the first movie. Unfortunately I was with about 8 people and there was nowhere I could move to to escape the odor. After Mothra ended I went to the 7-11 and got a car air freshener and hung it on the back of this person's seat. It did help, but I shouldn't have to do that. I always thought that Joe should play Se7en at the horror marathon and decorate the theater like this.

And please support the concession stand. I know it gets expensive after 24 hours, but this is how the theater makes their money and allows us to keep having these marathons. Bruce and Jeff and Joe do this as a labor of love, not some get rich scheme. If you do bring your own snacks, keep them in the car and at least get your dinner and coffee from the cafe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:40 am 

MEATFETISH wrote:
I always thought that Joe should play Se7en at the horror marathon

Se7en has played at the horror marathon, it was under the title THE ABOMINABLE DR. PHIBES :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:45 am 

I have been attending the marathon since #5 at the Drexel North and have changed what I brought according to where the marathon was being held. I usually bring a pillow and blanket for comfort as well as tums, tylenol and pepcid for the obvious reasons. As for food, I usually support the concession stand and only bring in a couple of staples that I have always brought: jelly belly jellybeans and ghiridelli chocolate squares. I stopped bring in lots of food because I found that I didn't eat much of it anyway and just had to carry it out again the next morning. Believe me, the less you take in the better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:07 am 

Please shower and wash your hair with HOT WATER. Wear clean clothes. Brush theeth ect.

There are some people that deoderant have an opposite effect. Use deoderant soap and a clean washcloth and scrub.

Consessions can be pricey. This is how they paid employees, keep the theater going, ect. Plus supporting a local buisness is a great thing. Drexel dosen't get their revenue from the films alone. There will be deals of course like last year. I'm hoping.