The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another film type?
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:09 am 

Perhaps not every year, but should we occasionally rotate in a fantasy film, something like Willow, LOTR, 7th Voyage of Sinbad, etc?

Thought this might bring a bit of life to the board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:38 am 

:twisted:
Yeah, I'll Bite
Great idea, I personally think the big ones like Narnia or Willow should have a spot at the 'thon since Sci-fi and Fantasy go hand in hand.
The only problem is that there is a fine line between fantasy and history sometimes, like Braveheart. That one does seem obvious, but I'm sure there are movies in that grey area, though they are escaping my coffee-depraved mind right now!
Reguardless, good idea Dennis!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:28 am 

I think that a good fantasy film has a place at the 'Thon, sure.

If we can have films like "The Dark Half" play at the Marathon, why not a good fantasy film?

Especially since fantasy is often considered to be a very close cousin to Science Fiction. And is often more internally consistent than, say, the Verne or Burroughs based movies.

And there are lots of fantasy films that really ride the edge. Heck, Dune is really as much a fantasy movie as it is Science fiction. Masters of the Universe is much the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 12:59 am 

I've always thought that fantasy films should be included. I'd love to see a good '80's fantasy flick like Dragonslayer, Ladyhawke, Flesh & Blood or (it should go without saying) Conan the Barbarian!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 7:35 am 

Dark Crystal!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 5:47 pm 

I know that japanese monster films are a marathon staple(and as a kaiju fan of 24 years I have no problem with that whatsoever), but there is more to the world of japanese sci-fi than just giant monsters. There are films like Gunhed, Returner, Devilman the movie, Hakaider, Zeiram 1 and 2, Moon over Tao, Versus, and ofcourse Casshern(a film that I will not stop plugging for as long as I live 8) ).

And as for non Godzilla or Gamera kaiju films there movies like Ultraman, the next and the new Battleship Yamato as well. And there are also old movies like War of the Gargantuas, Atragon, Varan, Frankenstein conquers the world and so on.

Also, nothing wrong with more anime. Cowboy Bebop and Steamboy were pretty well received after all. Aside from the newer films that get shown at the thon there are also classics out there like Akira, Vampire Hunter D, VHD=Bloodlust, Ninja Scroll, Spriggan and others.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by Mecha74 on Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 7:15 pm 

I wouldn't exactly consider giant monster movies to be a staple. There have been quite a few recently, but there have also been many years without any kaiju of any variety.

Anime is a hotly contested issue. Some people love, love, love it. Some people can take them or leave them. Some people hate, hate, hate anime. Steamboy, Cowboy Bebop and X have aired, and been generally accepted.

And Zeiram did air at one of the Drexel marathons. We also had Chinese Ghost Story at one of the Horror 'thons at the Drexel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 11:41 pm 
Site Admin

While we're on the subject, we screened a decent amount of Japanese non-monster movies at the five Studio 35 Horror Marathons, including MR. VAMPIRE, UZUMAKI, VERSUS and ICHI THE KILLER. All were well received. Considering the moribund nature of American horror (and a lot of American Sci-Fi) in the last 10-15 years and the fertile ground that J and K-Horror has become, I say bring on more of the good foreign stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 6:11 am 

As long as it's Good Foriegn Horror or Sci-fi I am all for it, VERSUS was great and so was MR. VAMPIRE and CHINESSE GHOST STORY, I didn't care for GOZU and a few others that really were not horror or Sci-fi they were just strange. Generally it's only 1 movie at the marathon so I can suffer through 1 I don't like.

Post subject: Re: Another film type?
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:35 pm 

Dennis wrote:
Perhaps not every year, but should we occasionally rotate in a fantasy film, something like Willow, LOTR, 7th Voyage of Sinbad, etc? .

I do recall discussions during the very early days of the original Marathon in Boston (we're talking the...EEK!...late-70's/early 1980's here) about including "Fantasy" & "Horror" films in the lineup. From what I recall, the major argument against was that it would be mixing "Apples & Oranges".

Shortly thereafter, a Horror Film Marathon began (it never really took off, sadly) and there was even banter about adding a Fantasy Marathon. I don't recall what Bruce's position precisely was (Apple or Orange? You Decide!) - He can certainly speak for himself - but, I DO know that he was instrumental in expanding the type of films shown at the Boston marathon: Including a Documentary such as BEGINNING OR THE END and "allowing" a certain snot-nosed college student to push for a showing of the Horror classic, MAD LOVE, for examples. :wink:

Since neither Ohio nor Boston has ever taken flight with a full-fledged Fantasy Marathon, I don't see the harm with including one in the lineup - once in a while. Some hard-core 'Flying Saucers & Ray-Guns' types might not warm up to a LOTR, but there are a number of cross-over appeal entries that could qualify.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 2:24 pm 

I'm not sure there are enough fantasy films to support a marathon of its own. At least year after year. It seems like there have been a lot more horror and sci-fi made over the years.

Post subject: Fantasy
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 4:14 pm 

I think the 'thon could support at least one fantasy film. Something "classic" such as "Dragonslayer" or "Legend" might work, and even the obvious recent examples such as one of the "Lord of the Rings" films.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:27 pm 

Heck yes, show the occasional Fantasy flick. I'd even go so far as to say go ahead and leave a slot for one every year. I know I wouldn't complain. I mean if you can show TRON which definitely crosses the line into Fantasy then why not others?

Post subject: Re: Another film type?
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:20 pm 
Site Admin

"I don't recall what Bruce's position precisely was (Apple or Orange? You Decide!)"

While not like clockwork, we have occasionally slipped in a few things that might qualify, like THE APPLE?