The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:51 am 

One movie that I would love to see at the next sci fi marathon is, and I think everyone can agree with me on this: "2010: The Year We Make Contact". It is a sequel to "2001: A Space Odyssey", which was directed by Stanley Kubrick. Also, two movies I'd love to see are the remake of The Blob, which is one of the best remakes I've ever seen, and Night of the Creeps, which the movie "Slither" has a LOT in comparison to. It's almost as if Slither is a remake of Night Of The Creeps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:29 am 

Yes, I think we can agree on that one. As a matter of fact, check out the thread just before this one. :)

Anyways, Bruce has mentioned briefly in the past that it would be "logical" to show 2010 in 2010. The question becomes whether or not to persue 2001. He is probably bummed that 2001 was the year he had to skip while the marathon was looking for a new location, so that logical movie choice was unable to happen. (But if memory serves me correctly, Death Race 2000 was shown in 2000).

Night of the Creeps would be a fun choice, though it's a little more horror than Sci-Fi. (Although plenty of horror has been shown at the Sci-Fi Marathon before). That and Monster Squad were very underrated at the time and still are as time goes by. They have recently announced a special edition DVD release and possible Blu-ray, so that may raise the profile enough for a print to become available.

Thanks for posting, by the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:53 am 

I'll add a vote for The Blob. The original would be great. I haven't seen the new one. Is it better than most remakes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:12 pm 

There ARE prints of both NIGHT OF THE CREEPS and MONSTER SQUAD. I recommended them both for this year's Boston fest, but they weren't booked.:(

IamJacksUserID wrote:
Yes, I think we can agree on that one. As a matter of fact, check out the thread just before this one. :)

Anyways, Bruce has mentioned briefly in the past that it would be "logical" to show 2010 in 2010. The question becomes whether or not to persue 2001. He is probably bummed that 2001 was the year he had to skip while the marathon was looking for a new location, so that logical movie choice was unable to happen. (But if memory serves me correctly, Death Race 2000 was shown in 2000).

Night of the Creeps would be a fun choice, though it's a little more horror than Sci-Fi. (Although plenty of horror has been shown at the Sci-Fi Marathon before). That and Monster Squad were very underrated at the time and still are as time goes by. They have recently announced a special edition DVD release and possible Blu-ray, so that may raise the profile enough for a print to become available.

Thanks for posting, by the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:40 pm 

Terry wrote:
I'll add a vote for The Blob. The original would be great. I haven't seen the new one. Is it better than most remakes?

Everyone's taste in remakes varies, but The Blob remake is very well done. It's surprisingly scary given how cheesy the original seems by today's standards. Both the original and the remake played at the same Marathon many many years ago, but they are both worthy of a second look.

To be more specific to your original question: Yes, it is better than most remakes. But, the 1950's Blob isn't exactly sacred ground like say The Day the Earth Stood Still or other classics of that nature.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:01 pm 

To be more specific to your original question: Yes, it is better than most remakes. But, the 1950's Blob isn't exactly sacred ground like say The Day the Earth Stood Still or other classics of that nature.[/quote]

Point taken.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:13 pm 

Below is a list of Good Remakes:

John Carpenter's The Thing
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
The Blob (1988)
When a Stranger Calls (2006)

These movies are not only great remakes but to some people better than the original.

Night of the Creeps is one of the best horror/sci-fi movies of the 80's and would be great to see at either the Horror Marathon or Sci-Fi Marathon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:51 pm 

Don't forget "The Fly" 1986 in your best remakes list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:10 pm 

I know that many will disagree, but I also put Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead on the list.

*ducks awy from imminent criticism*

Last edited by IamJacksUserID on Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:20 pm 

Nah, I'll chime in with the Dawn of the Dead remake as being a good film.

The key to any of the remakes is doing something different - and having an intention behind it. When you try to just copy an original (Psycho), it's never as good. When you essentially copy and original, except for adding newer effects, you end up with a lame, pointless remake.

When you take the seed of an idea and do something new and original with it, that's when you have a remake worth making.

Frankly, the folks behind The Day the Earth Stood Still had the right idea - they tried to do something new with the idea. They did so in terribly flawed ways, and the truth is that sometimes the idea doesn't need something new done with it, but they at least had the right approach in remaking the film.