The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:38 am 

Rob Zombie, whose Halloween II opens today, will write, direct and produce a remake of the 1958 horror classic The Blob, which starred Steve McQueen.

In the original, an object from space crashes into a field, containing a red blob-like substance that absorbs the humans it contacts and grows exponentially.

"My intention is not to have a big red blobby thing -- that's the first thing I want to change," Zombie told the trade. "That gigantic Jello-looking thing might have been scary to audiences in the 1950s, but people would laugh now."

Zombie will produce with Genre Co.'s Richard Saperstein and Brian Witten; original "Blob" producer Jack H. Harris; and Judith Parker Harris of Worldwide Entertainment Corp. and Andy Gould.

They are developing the project as an R-rated film that will cost around $30 million to make.

Production will begin next spring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:01 am 

Hey let's remake Godzilla, but the old Godzilla looked kinda cheesy, so we'll CGI up the movie. Oh, wait...

Hey, let's do a movie about the 1980 US Men's Hockey team. But, nobody really watches Hockey, so let's make it Football. So what if it isn't an Olympic sport, yes American Football, not soccer that the rest of the world calls football just to iritate us. And the Russians are our friends, I think, so we'll make the Iranians have a team. No matter they haven't ever played the game, it is more relevant for audiences today. Or maybe Venezula. Tehy are kind of like the Commies of old. Minus the nuclear weapons.

Didn't Kevin Dillon already do the Blob remake?

Me, I want to see Blobbermouth again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:35 am 

Dennis wrote:
Didn't Kevin Dillon already do the Blob remake?

Me, I want to see Blobbermouth again.

The 80's remake of The Blob was great and I own Blobberouth on DVD :D

They are actually doing a remake of RED DAWN but since there is no cold war any more they are adding China into the mix :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:31 pm 

I'm guessing Rob Zombie is hinting at a more bio-mucusy looking Blob. More body-fluid-looking/barf-inducing than Jell-O.

Still, as a horror-fan and purist, I must to toe the line and throw in my official opinion on this matter as "FUCK. THIS."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:38 pm 

The '80s remake is very solid. It takes itself seriously and it does make gooey slime scary. Probably a good choice to make it translucent instead of red for that film. What more could Zombie do?

Whether your a fan of Mr. Zombie's films or not, this is still a bad idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:34 am 

Is he becoming the new horror remake go-to guy? Ok, I get it, he was a big Halloween fan, and couldn't turn down that opportunity - but, geez, he should go back to doing his own material.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:24 pm 

Halloween 2 redefined bad. There is nothing good about it and no one will change my mind about that. Which is a shame as I grew to like House of 1000 Corpses quite a bit and loved Devil's Rejects. I thought the Halloween remake was about as decent, respectful but still different enough that I didn't hate it as much as I thought I would. It's actually okay. But part 2 is awful. Don't do this Rob. Take a vacation. Come back stronger in 2012.