The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: To follow Space Boy
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:17 am 

If a print of this music video can be found, I think it might fit in just after Space Boy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp_PIjc2ga4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:21 am 

First, let me say, I do think it would be a nice addition if a print was available.

And for the horror marathon:

http://www.molvania.com.au/molvania/antipope_large.html

However, this is not in the Space Boy category. The thing about Space Boy is, I think, they were trying to be serious/thought provoking/pretentious, take your pick. It wouldn't be nearly as funny if we believed they were doing it as a joke. Zlad, on the other hand, is intentionally trying to be funny. Elektronik Supersonik is to certain videos from the 80s what Gravity is to the educational films of the 50s and early 60s.

Entertainmenet Weekly had a nice desription of this in last weeks issues when they were talking about horror films. Some might disagree with a few of their choices, but the general idea is sound. There are four types of movies:

Good/good - High Class & Bone Chilling. They mention the orignal Pyscho, The Silence of the Lambs, the original Exorcist.

Good/Bad - High Class & Butt numbing. Exorcist III, Lair of the White Worm, the Ring (2002)

Bad/Good - Low Rent and deliciously cheesy. Evil Dead II, RE-ANIMATOR, Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974.)

Bad/Bad - Low Rent and God awful. Day of the Dead, ANY MOVIE WITH 'WES CRAVEN PRESENTS' IN THE TITLE Exhibit A: Dracula 2000.

Gravity is clearly Bad/Good.

Space Boy is Bad/Bad. Sorry, I'm a geek I think of things in mathematical terms.

The X-axis is the production values, the Y-axis is how good the film is. A film like Pyscho would be in the upper right hand corner. A film like Exorcist III woould be in the lower right. Evil Dead II would be towards the Upper Left. To me more Up than left, the production values weren't that bad. Gravity would be in tthe Upper Left. Lower Left you have your films like Dracula 2000. The thing is, way down in the corner there is a sweet spot where production values and quality are so bad, the films, for those of us with the proper taste (or lack thereof :D ) the films are entertaining again. Here are your Plan 9's and Manos Hands of Fate's.

Spaceboy has crap production values, the costumes are awful you can see wires, the actors are bad, the aging of the film make it look even worse. One thing though, is that is short enough that it is tolerable. I can't recall what show it was, perhaps the Simpsons where either Homer or Bart was doing something that was funny, but as he repeated it, it became not funny, then as he continued on it was funny again. Spaceboy is kinda like that. If it went on much longer though, it would again fall into not funny and I doubt it would ever come out of that.

Slow day at the office. :)