The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Special Guests
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:56 pm 

I haven't heard anything about a speical guest this year, and to be honest, I would be perfectly happy not having one.

I know that the organizers of the event spend a tremendous amount of time and effort (and possibly money) to book special guests, and I certainly appreciate it, but I don't need a special guest. We didn't have one last year, and I don't know if anyone missed it. Sure we've had great ones (Phil Tippett, the people who made Gravity) and lousy ones (I won't mention any names, but he directed the movie with a Batman who looked like he could really kick ass), and potentially great ones that almost kind of weren't there so much (Kevin McCarthy).

How much does having a special guest compell anyone to attend? Do people really get pumped about having special guests? Does it really affect attendance? I'm just asking. I don't really need one, although I've enjoyed some of them. But I'm wondering if other people really look forward to them. Does anyone really live or die by the special guests? Have there been other guests that people have loved or hated?

Last edited by Dr. Inertia on Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:03 pm 

I don't live or die by them, far from it. I'll pretty much come regardless of the films being shown or the guests (or lack thereof).

That said, a special guest can be a huge factor for my ability to talk other people into coming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:36 pm 

I don't think special guests alone put butts in seats necessarily, but I think they make the marathon seem more like a big deal and not just a gathering of a small devoted crowd. I think from an advertising perspective, it gives the event a more legitimate feel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:14 pm 

I don't need a special guest to entice me to go. You had me at the word "Marathon". However, I think that it probably helps get some publicity for the event, which leads to more people hearing about the event, which leads to more attendance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:58 pm 

Special guests are just icing on the cake. When we have a guest, I enjoy it a lot, and appreciate that they were willing to come - and I appreciate the work Bruce and others went through to get them there. But like I said, it's the icing. The reason I go every year is for the cake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:18 pm 

I wonder if that unnamed guest was pissed when Christopher Nolan stole his idea of a Batman who looked like he could kick ass.