The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 5:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:49 pm 

Here is some more suggesstons. Monster X Strikes Back: Attacks the G8 Summit. Clash of the Titans (org version). Seventh Voyage of Sinbad. Buck Rogers (1980's) pilot movie. Castle in the Sky. Nussicaa Valley of the Wind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:44 am 

sporterX wrote:
Alien Trespass (2009)
Didn't we just watch this last year?

IamJacksUserID wrote:
Moon, however, was largely overlooked.
I haven't seen that movie, and I'd really like to. I'd be thrilled if Moon was in this year's lineup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:46 pm 

I'm rather new to the area and have never attended any of the marathons but plan on attending this year's and I'd love to see the 1966 Batman, Laserblast or The Man Who Fell to Earth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:49 pm 

Laserblast I always enjoy making up the dialog between the alien turtles. For some odd reason Laserblast sums up the late 1970's.

How about the return of that They are made out of meat short?

I still want to see Forbidden Zone makes a appearance.

Post subject: Marathon wish list
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:23 pm 

So many choices...

Westworld
John Carpenter's Dark Star
Earth vs Spider
Highlander
Outlander the original
Zeram
Day earth stood still (classic) sorry Keanu
Bill and Ted
Independance Day
Abyss
Ice Pirates

There could be so many more the list would go on and on

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:22 pm 

First of all, welcome to the forum, delemar and cabinboy. It's always nice to hear from new marathon fans.

As for your wish list, Westworld and The Abyss were both shown at a marathon recently, and the goal of our hard working organizers is to try and make things fresh and interesting. There are not usually more than a handful of marathon repeats every year, and they are usually brought back after long absences. The Day the Earth Stood Still is a perrenial favorite, but was shown a mere two years ago and the remaining prints seem to be deteriorating. A (mostly) comprehensive history of all films shown at this event can be found here.

I would welcome Ice Pirates and Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure (the excellent one, not the bogus sequel) as cheesy '80s nostalgia. You know, it's funny how cheesy '50s and '60s nostalgia when the marathon began has evolved into cheesy '70s and '80s nostalgia...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:34 pm 

IamJacksUserID wrote:
I would welcome Ice Pirates and Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure (the excellent one, not the bogus sequel) as cheesy '80s nostalgia. You know, it's funny how cheesy '50s and '60s nostalgia when the marathon began has evolved into cheesy '70s and '80s nostalgia...

Yes I agree and welcome to the forum, delemar and cabinboy!! Ice Pirates and Bill and Ted would be great, so would ZAPPED! I know it's a horny rip off of "Carrie" but it has classic sci-fi elements like The Mad Scientist, telekinesis and a fun Star Trek parody.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:46 pm 

How about Zardoz? Sean Connery wearing manties and hear how evil the male (human) seed is. I recently watch Conquest of the Planet of the apes. Is there anyway the orginal unrated print of the film is available, or that is a pipe dream? There is the 1970's version of H.G Wells's The Shape of Things to Come. Disney's The Black Hole or the Black Culdron. The Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal or the campy Spacecamp. Starship Troopers one or three. Dark Star, John Carpenter's first movie. Hardware Wars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:06 am 

I'd second "Zardoz" or the original theatrical version of "Conquest of the Planet of the Apes". (in addition to my previously posted Dream List)

P.S.- "Phantom of the Paradise" ...If you're ever looking for a print, I'd check in Winnepeg first...they have held huge "Phantompalooza" festivals there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:45 am 

The theatrical cut of Conquest is water down crap compaire to the superior unrated version that is out on BLU RAY. BTW, a good reason to get a BLU RAY Player and a HDTV. Mine is a Samsung Full HDTV and a Samsung BLU RAY Player with wi fi support. Here's two more, Krull and Star Trek First Contact, the only thing good that comes from the gwad awful Star Trek TNG era. Worst Sci Fi series ever, Stargate comes in a close second. To me watching ST:TNG is like watching paint dry. I do like thinking man's sci-fi. Examples Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits (Now airing on 6.2).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:29 am 

willcail wrote:
The theatrical cut of Conquest is water down crap compaire to the superior unrated version that is out on BLU RAY.

I think we're talking about the same version- When the film first ran in theatres, I read that it nearly caused riots due to the (racial?) violence...they edited that content out and continued its theatrical run. Is that correct? The ORIGINAL theatrical cut would be the unedited version?

Either way, I'd like to see the unedited "Conquest". Too bad they axed the remake ("Caesar"?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:19 pm 

Dark Star

I just saw a segment. It looks good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:37 pm 

Here is some cheesy grade sci fi choices. The Giant Claw, Monster A Go Go, Krull, Worrior of the Lost World. How about bringing There's Nothing Out There back for another screening? I was looking at the photo gallery and did see a theater that is part of the Columbus Sci Fi Marathon Lore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:27 pm 

Aint-it-cool-news is reporting that the restored version of Fritz Lang's Metropolis will be making it's way to the U.S. for a summer theatrical release followed by the Blu-Ray in the Fall.

Man, what I wouldn't give to see that at a marathon again...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:25 am 

I thought the Spaceboy remake wasn't coming out until after the marathon, but I just found out they're screening it at a festival this week. It may be available.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next