The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 8:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Am I missing something?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:28 pm 

Am I missing something? Like a complete lineup? Here it is, only 10 days away and there's not a complete list of films and I'm guessing not even a flier.... I can't go this year due to work, but I wonder if I'd make the 6 hour drive if I didn't have to work. I love the marathons more than most other "events" like concerts or whatever, but it is disappointing that it's taking so long to get some real news here. I know Bruce and Jeff and Joe, et al... work really hard to make the marathons happen at all, but if they want to keep the tradition alive people really need a list of films and a flier more than a week before hand. It's not going to attract newbies if there's no word out, let alone a complete lineup. In 1989, when I was 13, I happened upon a flier at Holiday Costume House on Bethel Rd and I've been hooked on the marathons ever since. I hate to make comparisons because in many ways I like the Columbus marathons more than the Chicago ones, but Chicago manages to announce at least most of the films, if not a full lineup, almost 2 months in advance and they sell out a 700 seat theater. Sure it's a much bigger city... but their first year didn't sell out and in fact only sold 100 pre-sale tickets (ultimately selling about 600 total), but word of mouth and 2 months of advertising sold it out the next year and ever since.... Just wishing for the best marathons we can get and that they make enough money to keep doing them until I'm in a nursing home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:11 pm 
Site Admin

I have a word in about the final films and am awaiting a response...I expect, however, the final films will be announced very shortly...that's all I know for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:39 pm 

Will they annouce before the weekend?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:13 pm 

I hear ya, Meatfish. I feel much the same way with the Boston fest (and Boston is also a much bigger market than Columbus).

I refer you to my post in another thread (I also reference your prior post(s) about the Chicago marathon): http://www.scifimarathon.com/phpBB2/vie ... 5&start=45

L.A. Connection wrote:
Not to sound mealy-mouthed, but I think everybody has made good points about the events. I include the Boston edition in that as well. Both events seem to be suffering from the same greying of the audience. Old timers who ALREADY know about the event go, but attracting NEW blood is difficult.

In Boston, we've tried adding a Festival to the Marathon with mixed results. Attendence has ticked up a bit after years of decline, but the overlap between 'Festival' and Marathon is spotty.

Still, with lots of hard work AND, perhaps most importantly, the co-operation of the local media these events can prosper. Someone here posted about a Chicago event with much larger attendence than Boston or Columbus.

Just last night in Hollywood, the opening night of a FILM NOIR Festival there was a sellout - 700 people - Plus! DOZENS of folks were turned away! L.A. is a much bigger market than Columbus (or even Boston), but it is also notoriously finicky when it comes to vintage film screenings. The American Cinematheque and the Film Noir Society did a fantastic job of publicizing the event AND the local media got the word out.

And, WE all have to help out as well. Get out there and tell everyone who might remotely be interested in attending all about the event.

Don't give up, folks. We can all help turn around our Sister Marathons!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:22 pm 

As a soon to be 30 years old I aways see young people standing in line at the annual Sci Fi and Horror Thon. When I get my seat for the thon I aways see a near full house. Both of the thons will survived.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:12 pm 

willcail wrote:
As a soon to be 30 years old I aways see young people standing in line at the annual Sci Fi and Horror Thon. When I get my seat for the thon I aways see a near full house. Both of the thons will survived.

It's fantastic that you are an optimist and all that, but everyone is making excellent points about advertising, or the lack thereof. The simple fact that there is no pre-show flyer is a real bummer, especially to those of us who have been there since the Drexel North days.

Would you rather be "surviving," or "thriving?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:11 am 

Heck, I collect the fliers and get them out periodically as I anticipate my next marathon. Sometimes I look at them for tattoo ideas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:22 am 

As I'm using a LG Lotus running Oprea Mini 5 using Sprint's EVDO Network the flyers are becomming less important. They can create a PDF file and have people download it onto their phones. I can access the website and post messages via my phone and my iPod Touch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:12 am 

willcail wrote:
As I'm using a LG Lotus running Oprea Mini 5 using Sprint's EVDO Network the flyers are becomming less important. They can create a PDF file and have people download it onto their phones. I can access the website and post messages via my phone and my iPod Touch.

Which is great if you're going to leave your phone laying around in public for anyone to take. If you're not, flyers would be nice. Flyers aren't for the people who come to this forum. They're for the people who have never heard of the marathon and might want to come if they could find out about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:52 am 

I should clarify that it's the Chicago horror marathons that sell out. Their sci-fi marathons probably don't sell half as many tickets, but then again it's only a 14 hour marathon from noon until 2am. And to Joe and Bruce's credit, the last Columbus horror marathon had films announced and a flier well in advance. I just love geeking out on things like this and without a flier, it's harder to geek out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:00 am 

KidneyPi this is the second decade of the 21st Century. There are more mobile Phones than landlines. There are NetBooks that can access WiFi and WiMax hotspots and 3G and Sprint 4G networks. People take their phones with them. They can browse the web and do email. Right now I'm using my phone to post this message. The era of big clunky PC's are over and you have to understand that the 1980's are over. Having a paper flyer is pointless. Quit living in the past and brace the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:30 am 
Site Admin

Actually, a flier is still an integral part of the event, as we've learned over the past ten years and multiple theater changes. It's an important tool to draw in new folks who don't know about the website, as the web traffic here is lower than you might think. As well, there is still a sizeable portion of the audience that looks forward to the flier as a keepsake, a visual record of the event, etc, much like Jim/MEATFETISH described. And fliers are still a vastly popular form of advertisement in record stores, bookstores, etc., where they catch the eyes of prospective new patrons and remind veterans who might have been away for awhile that the events are happening. And above all, they're just a fun physical way to get excited for the Marathons. Modern technological innovations have made parts of the Marathons easier and/or more enjoyable, but the physical objects associated with the events are still a key and vital piece of the puzzle.

All right, is that enough inside information for those of you who are complaining over in the "Kaboom" section of the forum? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:36 am 

Joe said everything I wanted to. I love the site and the forum, and I too use mobile devices to hit them all the time. But flyers are what will draw new people in - not to mention plenty of regulars who don't frequent the forum, but who do shop at the Ogre, or the Drexel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:53 am 

willcail wrote:
KidneyPi this is the second decade of the 21st Century. There are more mobile Phones than landlines. There are NetBooks that can access WiFi and WiMax hotspots and 3G and Sprint 4G networks. People take their phones with them. They can browse the web and do email. Right now I'm using my phone to post this message. The era of big clunky PC's are over and you have to understand that the 1980's are over. Having a paper flyer is pointless. Quit living in the past and brace the future.

That's fine if everyone who might want to come already knows about it and is looking for it. Otherwise, you have to send it to everyone. That is called spam. Paper flyers are great because people who otherwise wouldn't know about it can find out without anything being forced one anyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:22 pm 

willcail wrote:

Dude you need to chill. Your coming across in a very negative way and this board doesn't need that. We value your opinion but there is no need to bash others...we are all in this together so lets treat each other with respect.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next