The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:22 pm 

These tips are imperative. I have done multiple marathons and am proud to say I have yet to fall asleep. Mostly because of some of the guide tips listed. I go to bed about 9 the night before. I Get a full night sleep and make sure that all my stuff is ready before the day of. I have to travel a little distance to get to the Drexel (about 90 min.) So I have to get up around 6:30-7 am and pick up my people to get on the road, so we can stand in in line for good choice of seats. Comfort sounds like it would work against you on staying conscious but staying relaxed won't fray the nerves and glide you to the end only wishing for a shower and a nap. Sweatpants for LIFE!!! I wholeheartedly agree with the not eating very much approach as well. When I get a full belly I get tired. The pinch of hunger can be an ally. Tame it with a cup of java or caffeinated beverage of your choice, and you have a winning formula. The best part about the marathons are that they are scheduled (most of them) to end around noon on a Sunday. When you finish you can crash as hard as you want for a good stretch before the ugly of Monday makes its nasty faces at you. You know how a kid gets so excited about Christmas that they make themselves sick with anticipation? That's marathons for me. I used to go all the way to Chicago to do them, but I want to call Drexel my new home. It's fun, comfortable, and a hell of a lot more conveniently located. I look at these events as a mental hurdle and are flagpoles in our lives. The memories are what make the marathons so wonderful. So whether or not you fall asleep, just know that what you are doing is outside the day to day life pattern. It is a challenge and an experience. Something I love and will continue to do. I am so PUMPED!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:57 pm 

Might be that I'm the only marathonoid that lives ten minutes from the Drexel theater. My apartment is about a mile away from the theater.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:07 pm 

My annual bump on this guide.

I made it through another year in Boston without sleep - of course. Added difficulty because we had to start at 4pm because of the blizzard. I still got to the theater at 11am, so it was, in effect a 29 hour marathon this year.

When Bruce asked the crowd who had stayed up the whole marathon (there were about a dozen of us), he gave me a pre-emptive shout-out, "Anybody else besides L.A. Connection!?" :mrgreen:

Good luck, Columbus!

Been going to Marathons since...gulp...1979 and have never fallen asleep! And, this February in Boston kept that streak alive.

First, I know that it is NOT A MUST to stay awake. This is a guide IF you wish to try (Only an IF). Second, yes, know your body. If you can take gallons of coffee and greasy spicy food at 4am - go for it. But, these are some tried and true suggestions....

Tips:

1. GET SOME REST before the Marathon. Easier said than done sometimes, I understand. Particularly, if the Marathon starts at Midnight! But, do your best. Also, I start a Vitamin, Echinesia, Zinc pill-popping regimen the week before the Marathon to be as illness resistant as I can.

2. LIMIT CAFFEINE. One year, early on in my Marathon career, I thought popping No-Doz and drinking coffee was a good idea. It wasn't. 3/4 of the way through, I thought I was having an ulcer right smack in the middle of DEMON SEED (that 'demon' was in my stomach!). More importantly, the constant ups and downs eventually catches up to you (same goes for excessive Sugar intake). Some folks have a higher built-up tolerence, but go easy.

3. Wear COMFORTABLE CLOTHES. That Klingon mask and paraphernalia might seem cool at noon, but by midnight, it likely won't. Also, a pillow or neck/back support might be in order.

4. EAT as LITTLE as possible. Again, early on, I looked forward to the Marathon as a 24 hour junk food party. Over the years, I have seen many Marathoners "go down for the count" long before the finish line due to upset stomachs. Pizza, burritos, Chinese, Indian, Thai food are all favorites of mine, but I would stay away from them. I eat a big breakfast. Then nibble, nibble, nibble all day and night with only 1 warm meal (usually just a chicken sandwich without fries, shakes or too many condiments). Maybe , something warm for breakfast. Otherwise, it's pretzels, chocolate covered raisins, several Power/Energy bars and lots and lots of water. Boring? Yup, but this post is about SURVIVAL!!

5. GET UP AND MOVE AROUND!! I pop out of my seat after EVERY SINGLE MOVIE and move around. If you think to yourself, "Oh, I'll just grab a little 5 minute nap between movies" - you're likely a goner. That walk around will do you much more good than a 5 minute nap. Longer naps are another story (for wimps!), but this post is about staying awake the whole 24.

6. JOIN IN! If the audience ritually claps - CLAP ALONG! If the audience bursts into applause - do the same! Cheer on contestants in the contests! Give thanks to Bruce, Jeff Neff and the many others who help put on the show, especially the Theater Staff. All of this not only helps the spirit of the Event, but, it also helps YOU become involved and raise your enthusiasm level!

Most important tip:

7. PSYCH YOURSELF UP!! Come on, this is one (long) day a year! ONE! You can't get psychologically tuned up to stay awake one little night a year?! Think of all the cool movies and shorts you are going to see! All the bad puns and callbacks you'll hear! The fun you have reminicing with fellow Marathoners throughout the year! The pride and honor of being a 24 HOUR SURVIVOR! You CAN do it!! I ain't into any of that New Age mind over body holistic hooey - but, in this one instance where it makes sense; I think a LOT of what defeats Marathoners IS in their head. If you say to yourself, "That slow draggy movie at 4am is going to KILL ME" - then it will happen. Instead, repeat to yourself - "I will stay awake, I will!"

That's it. 7 simple rules to follow, and you can join the Android brigade like myself! You'll never miss a single ray gun shooting, alien attack, day for night scene, cheezy line of dialogue, CGI overloaded frame, vintage trailer or Bruce quip again!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:26 pm 

Bump.

A couple of weeks ago, I flew back to Boston from L.A., braved sub-zero temps, and, of course, stayed awake for all 25 hours of this year's marathon (my review: viewtopic.php?p=17686#p17686). Stayed awake a total of 34+ hours. Slept, and then flew cross-country the next day.

YOU, too, can DO IT!

Good luck, Columbus!

Been going to Marathons since...gulp...1979 and have never fallen asleep! And, this February in Boston kept that streak alive.

First, I know that it is NOT A MUST to stay awake. This is a guide IF you wish to try (Only an IF). Second, yes, know your body. If you can take gallons of coffee and greasy spicy food at 4am - go for it. But, these are some tried and true suggestions....

Tips:

1. GET SOME REST before the Marathon. Easier said than done sometimes, I understand. Particularly, if the Marathon starts at Midnight! But, do your best. Also, I start a Vitamin, Echinesia, Zinc pill-popping regimen the week before the Marathon to be as illness resistant as I can.

2. LIMIT CAFFEINE. One year, early on in my Marathon career, I thought popping No-Doz and drinking coffee was a good idea. It wasn't. 3/4 of the way through, I thought I was having an ulcer right smack in the middle of DEMON SEED (that 'demon' was in my stomach!). More importantly, the constant ups and downs eventually catches up to you (same goes for excessive Sugar intake). Some folks have a higher built-up tolerence, but go easy.

3. Wear COMFORTABLE CLOTHES. That Klingon mask and paraphernalia might seem cool at noon, but by midnight, it likely won't. Also, a pillow or neck/back support might be in order.

4. EAT as LITTLE as possible. Again, early on, I looked forward to the Marathon as a 24 hour junk food party. Over the years, I have seen many Marathoners "go down for the count" long before the finish line due to upset stomachs. Pizza, burritos, Chinese, Indian, Thai food are all favorites of mine, but I would stay away from them. I eat a big breakfast. Then nibble, nibble, nibble all day and night with only 1 warm meal (usually just a chicken sandwich without fries, shakes or too many condiments). Maybe , something warm for breakfast. Otherwise, it's pretzels, chocolate covered raisins, several Power/Energy bars and lots and lots of water. Boring? Yup, but this post is about SURVIVAL!!

5. GET UP AND MOVE AROUND!! I pop out of my seat after EVERY SINGLE MOVIE and move around. If you think to yourself, "Oh, I'll just grab a little 5 minute nap between movies" - you're likely a goner. That walk around will do you much more good than a 5 minute nap. Longer naps are another story (for wimps!), but this post is about staying awake the whole 24.

6. JOIN IN! If the audience ritually claps - CLAP ALONG! If the audience bursts into applause - do the same! Cheer on contestants in the contests! Give thanks to Bruce, Jeff Neff and the many others who help put on the show, especially the Theater Staff. All of this not only helps the spirit of the Event, but, it also helps YOU become involved and raise your enthusiasm level!

Most important tip:

7. PSYCH YOURSELF UP!! Come on, this is one (long) day a year! ONE! You can't get psychologically tuned up to stay awake one little night a year?! Think of all the cool movies and shorts you are going to see! All the bad puns and callbacks you'll hear! The fun you have reminicing with fellow Marathoners throughout the year! The pride and honor of being a 24 HOUR SURVIVOR! You CAN do it!! I ain't into any of that New Age mind over body holistic hooey - but, in this one instance where it makes sense; I think a LOT of what defeats Marathoners IS in their head. If you say to yourself, "That slow draggy movie at 4am is going to KILL ME" - then it will happen. Instead, repeat to yourself - "I will stay awake, I will!"

That's it. 7 simple rules to follow, and you can join the Android brigade like myself! You'll never miss a single ray gun shooting, alien attack, day for night scene, cheezy line of dialogue, CGI overloaded frame, vintage trailer or Bruce quip again!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:00 am 

I find that sitting on a small pillow helps me stay awake. I don't know why. I do nod off occasionally, but rarely do I sleep for any significant length of time. It also helps me sit in the seats for a long time. So that's one suggestion.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:24 pm 

WolfNC17 wrote:
I find that sitting on a small pillow helps me stay awake. I don't know why. I do nod off occasionally, but rarely do I sleep for any significant length of time. It also helps me sit in the seats for a long time. So that's one suggestion.

I wonder if using an ergonomic mesh back supporter would have the same effect.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:22 pm 

Sit on the outside, with gray haired viewers further toward the center. They'll be lots of suggestions that you should wake up.
FYI. I can say this because my hair is not gray - it's almost white.

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:11 am 

Obviously, everyone who attends the marathons will need lots of sleep the night before, and sleeping pills don't always work, at least as well as they should. One thing I have found that works is do something totally BORING. I mean really, REALLY BORING. Something important, like cleaning, or, in my case, clearing text messages off of my mobile phone, but it must be BORING. This will help you get drowsy and fall asleep.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:57 am 

HorrorTriviaMaster wrote:
Obviously, everyone who attends the marathons will need lots of sleep the night before, and sleeping pills don't always work, at least as well as they should. One thing I have found that works is do something totally BORING. I mean really, REALLY BORING. Something important, like cleaning, or, in my case, clearing text messages off of my mobile phone, but it must be BORING. This will help you get drowsy and fall asleep.

I never take pills or NyQuil to help me sleep the night before a marathon, the effect of the meds linger on and your more tired at the event. Being active the night before is a good idea, it will help you get a good night rest.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:34 pm 

My annual bump for any newbies out there (or, are they only on Facebook and Twitter?).

Anyway, just completed my...gulp...40th Boston Sci-Fi Marathon and my method still works! FORTY YEARS without a wink of Marathon sleep!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:25 pm 

And my commentary on LA's annual screed. I believe that I have posted this here previously - and I certainly have on the Boston Board - anyway---

Alternate suggestions, based on 35 years at various Marathons.

1. Not a disagreement but an additional view to LA's. I agree completely that being a passive receptor = sleep. Also that free unplanned consumption of food and drink will negatively affect wakefulness.
And if you can make it through you will have the joy that, "You'll never miss a single ray gun shooting, alien attack, day for night scene, cheezy line of dialogue, CGI overloaded frame, vintage trailer or witty quip again!!"
2. There are, however, good reasons to sleep. Personally, I live several hours drive from one Marathon (Columbus) that I attend. If I walked out of the Drexel theater after having been awake for 30 hours, I would probably die driving home. As I might if I turned the car wheel over to a fellow Zombie. I am also of an age that although I have lasted, unsleeping, through entire Marathons, the macho ego boost of doing it in my senescence just ain't there. I enjoy a Marathon better by not forcing myself into abnormal behavior.
3.Sleep is insidious. If you doubt your power to stay awake, Choose and plan ahead. That old favorite that you have seen five times and probably can get on Cinemax? Snuggle down and sleep. If you don't, there is a very good chance that you will doze through those two films that you were really looking forward to.
4. Check the schedule and plan ahead. If you make choices on the fly, even if you have been revived by a break and by walking around, you may make it through your third viewing of that creature feature just fine. But ten minutes into the sixth film of the day, the one that you were really into, you will still be tired, and quite possibly go dead to the world. I walk into the theater with an annotated list of films. It isn't prescriptive. Let yourself be talked into changing your plan. But I always assume that choices made when I am of rested sound mind are probably better than those made after 16 hours in a comfy chair.
5. Whether you choose to sleep, or fall into inadvertent slumber, be aware that brain rhythms do not change totally just because you open your eyes. Once you doze, if you do not take active measures, you will probably go under again. Use LA's techniques to change your brain rhythms or invent your own. Personally, the fact that all three Marathons that I attend occur during cold weather lets me go outside and breath frigid air as a shock to my system. I also always take a washcloth and use frigid water on my face (and pits) to wake up.
6. You are not alone. Arrange with a friend or neighbor to wake you up after a period of planned (or unplanned?) slumber. Be sure that you were awake for that movie or event that you were looking forward to.
7. Personally I treat food and drink positively. As indicated above, my own and friends' experience that food and even caffeinated drink can put you under agrees with LA's.
I do, however, tank up on either caffeinated sugar pop or coffee toward the end of a Marathon as a means of staying awake through the last two movies and either driving home from across town (Cleveland) 2 1/2 hours (from Columbus) or (in Boston) navigating the MBTA back to my daughter's house. Even a sugar donut before the last film can provide a slight positive jolt.

Again. I do not disagree with LA. However, unless staying awake for 25+ hours is a positive experience and is something that you can actually accomplish, be a conscious viewer and plan your viewing and sleep schedules ahead.

Thar’s only two possibilities: Thar is life out there in the universe which is smarter than we are, or we’re the most intelligent life in the universe. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought. - Walt Kelly