The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:42 am 

How on Earth is Moon suddenly not available? It's less than a year old and played theatricallly. How was that possible.

Someone else let it slip that Blade Runner was its replacement...which cut was it?

Were all the premieres on video or were any on film? I hate having any video projection, but can live with one or two titles max. But mostly I find it insulting if I know that prints are available but we've chosen to go the cheap route and project DVD to save a couple bucks, like I suspect we did with The Thing From Another World a few years back. I kind of expect it from low budget indie movies or foreign stuff like Tokyo Gore Police.

I have to agree with Joe about the rather loose definition of the word "premiere". I understand that a lot of movies don't get theatrical release anywhere, let alone Columbus, but come on.... Something that's been on video for 6 months or more is not a premiere! It's an "overlooked gem" at best. I've discovered a lot of movies like this at marathons that I like a lot e.g. Code 46, but let's not advertise them as premieres. Let's work to get more real premieres. I've always preferred 70'-80's classics than lame video premiere.

I'd love to see the new Space Boy and it's disappointing that the audience was rude to the filmmaker. It's not easy making any film. I'm one of the crowd that loves the screenings of Spaceboy. It's not to say I love the film, but I love the insanity and bizarreness of the film. I love that I can only see it at the marathon. The last time I checked it wasn't on youtube, just the music.

I still wish I could have gone. Were there any great jokes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:12 am 

MEATFETISH wrote:
How on Earth is Moon suddenly not available? It's less than a year old and played theatricallly. How was that possible.

It may not necessarily have been "unavailable." The information we were given was that it "fell through."

Quote:
Someone else let it slip that Blade Runner was its replacement...which cut was it?

I don't know what you think you heard, but I saw Moon and it was the original theatrical cut and the print was in decent shape, though very pink which detracted from the fine, innovative visuals.

Quote:
Were all the premieres on video or were any on film? I hate having any video projection, but can live with one or two titles max. But mostly I find it insulting if I know that prints are available but we've chosen to go the cheap route and project DVD to save a couple bucks, like I suspect we did with The Thing From Another World a few years back. I kind of expect it from low budget indie movies or foreign stuff like Tokyo Gore Police.

The only "premeire" that was not digitally projected was, go figure, Stingray Sam, which wasn't even shot in widescreen format. A regular from Boston claims that there are film prints of Sleep Dealer available, but we were shown the DVD.

Quote:
I have to agree with Joe about the rather loose definition of the word "premiere". I understand that a lot of movies don't get theatrical release anywhere, let alone Columbus, but come on.... Something that's been on video for 6 months or more is not a premiere! It's an "overlooked gem" at best. I've discovered a lot of movies like this at marathons that I like a lot e.g. Code 46, but let's not advertise them as premieres. Let's work to get more real premieres. I've always preferred 70'-80's classics than lame video premiere.

Agreed.

Quote:
I'd love to see the new Space Boy and it's disappointing that the audience was rude to the filmmaker. It's not easy making any film. I'm one of the crowd that loves the screenings of Spaceboy. It's not to say I love the film, but I love the insanity and bizarreness of the film. I love that I can only see it at the marathon. The last time I checked it wasn't on youtube, just the music.

Spaceboy works within the context of the marathon and it is amazing to me that so many haters out there don't see that. And, yes, it was disappointing that Mr. Olenik was treated as basically an afterthought. But then again, so did every other extracurricular activity this year, including the lamer and lamer every year costume contest. No one was interested in the spontaneous Stingray Sam contest, either. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the "prizes" are plentiful and nothing overly special.

Quote:
I still wish I could have gone. Were there any great jokes.

Some were posted in the other thread. Bruce's you wouldn't get without having seen Stingray Sam, but trust me, it was hilarious. At the beginning of 2010, someone remarked "I don't remember this happening!" I thoroughly enjoyed the 10 second clip from American Graffiti thrown in during the final trailer block. It was during a theme of trailers about "moons" so if you are familiar with the film, you can guess which 10 second clip it was, or just use your imagination.
As for great jokes in the films themselves: Watch the first two episodes of Stingray Sam on YouTube and just pretend you are at the Marathon. Rent The Lost Skeleton Returns Again and turn it off after about twenty minutes and you will be satisfied.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:26 am 

Also at the beginning of 2010, which, if you don't recall has a recap of the 2001 mission being typed up by Dr. Floyd, Bob yelled out, previously on 2001.

I think the casting of Vallana in Spacboy ruined it. No excuse for not listening to the guest, though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:19 pm 

IamJacksUserID wrote:
MEATFETISH wrote:
Quote:

The only "premeire" that was not digitally projected was, go figure, Stingray Sam, which wasn't even shot in widescreen format. A regular from Boston claims that there are film prints of Sleep Dealer available, but we were shown the DVD...

Not just a claim. The distributor of SLEEP DEALER did confirm that they owned film prints. But, they were obstinate in not allowing us to rent their precious celluloid. SLEEP was booked as part of the pre-marathon Festival - DVD. Then, we offered to give SLEEP DEALER the closing movie spot at the Marathon as well. But, still, no go on a film print.

As I wrote earlier, I personally would have told the distributor - MAYA ENTERTAINMENT ((213) 542-4420 email: http://maya-entertainment.com/contact-us/e-mail-form) - to go take a hike! But, obviously, the Boston and Columbus bookers felt differently.