The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 7:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:45 am 

.....NOT!!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102468-Total-Recall-Getting-Total-Remake

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:31 pm 

Stephen King once told an anecdote regarding how "crappy" (for lack of a better word- I'm paraphrasing here) the movies based on his books usually turned out to be. Someone asked him if he cared that his stories were all "ruined" by the people making those movies. He replied, "What are you talking about? None of my books have been ruined, they are all still sitting there on that shelf just the way I wrote them."

I don't mind remakes so much. Just because Keanu Reeves and his terrible acting ass decide to crap all over a perfectly fine story, that doesn't make me like the original any less. Regardless of anyone's personal opinions about remakes, I would be very curious to see this story as it was originally conceived.

Just how many people out there realize that Richard Dreyfuss was very close to being cast in the Schwarzenegger role? If you weren't aware of that, you may laugh... but think about it for a second. We all love Arnie, especially around that time when he was in his prime, but how badass would it have been to see Richard Dreyfuss beat the hell out of those dudes in the train station near the beginning of that movie? Quaid suddenly realizes, "hey, maybe I AM a superspy!" And the audience is thinking, "well, duh, of COURSE you are, you're Arnold Schwarzenegger!" Instead of "Dude! Check out what Richard Dreyfuss just did!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:30 am 

IamJacksUserID,

Very good points. And it helps you used the Stephen King comments because more often than not I find myself nodding in agreement to his opinions in places like EW.

I've kind of had a conversion on this topic over the years. I may still cringe a bit at some of the remakes, but a lot of times it gets the original out in front of folks who had never seen or would never see it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:55 pm 

Mr King is at a fault here too. He does have small roles in some of the movie adaptations of his books. Plus don't forget that he directed Maximum Overdrive.

There are good movie adaptations of his works. Carrie, The Mist, The Green Mile, and The Shawshank Redemption.

As guilty pleasure is Maximum Overdrive and The Stand.