The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 1:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:23 pm 

I wish Macross Do You Remember Love with new english subtitles. This of course will never going to happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:29 pm 

I stumbled upon a trailer for a Sundance film called Another Earth that looked interesting. This was actually picked up by Fox Searchlight and is going into limited release this summer. Something like this would seem to be a legitimate sort of "premiere" moreso than the dubious, straight to DVD fare of recent years (including the so-so Lunopolis already scheduled). And the timing seems to be right, unlike the aforementioned Super.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:33 pm 

If I saw DYRL on the big screen I would probably die a happy man right there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:17 am 
Site Admin

willcail wrote:
Macross Do You Remember Love

I'd give a big vote for this as well. Used to have it on Laserdisc back in the day. Excellent encapsulation of the original series, and it simultaneously resonates with the Robotech generation. I'd give my thumbs-up.

There are several anime titles that I think would play well. Paprika is a perfect choice for a "dream within a dream" marathon (ask Joe, I think he'll agree ;)), Nausicaa and Laputa (apocalyptic and steampunk, respectively), Wings of Honneamise fits a space-program bend, and there's always the original Akira, which can slot in just about anywhere.

Vampire Hunter D for horror? I'm not saying we HAVE to do anime in each of the marathons, but if you're going to go that route there are plenty of good choices.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:13 pm 

Paprika was a fun and intelligent movie that I think would go over well with the marathon audience, but personally I'd rather see a new movie that I haven't seen yet, like Summer Wars or the new Evangelion movie. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Paprika again though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:08 pm 

Would love to see some more "so bad its good" stuff like "The Giant Claw", Ed Wood's "Bride of the Monster" or Bert I. Gordon's "Village of the Giants" or "The Amazing Collosal Man".

It's only a short, but I'd love to see "12:01 PM" again. Plus "Star Trek: Generations" would be nice to see on the big sreeen again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:39 pm 
Site Admin

cleazer wrote:
Paprika was a fun and intelligent movie that I think would go over well with the marathon audience, but personally I'd rather see a new movie that I haven't seen yet, like Summer Wars or the new Evangelion movie. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Paprika again though.

I haven't watched it yet, but I heard Evangelion should be good. I still need to watch Gantz too, lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:14 am 

I have to add Demon Seed to my wish list. What a weird movie! That and They Live, and/or Predator added to what we already have and you could fill in the rest of the lineup with old home movies and I'd be fine with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:35 pm 

Keep your fingers crossed-
Cowboys v. Aliens!

On another note- Colossus: The Forbin Project actually wasn't that bad. It was hilarious to see Lo Pan running around in the background.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:16 pm 

Sea Monkey wrote:

On another note- Colossus: The Forbin Project actually wasn't that bad. It was hilarious to see Lo Pan running around in the background.

WTF????????

COLOSSUS: THE FORBIN PROJECT is a GREAT film! A classic!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:39 pm 

Whoa - settle down now - I wasn't ripping on Colossus. I said it was pretty good. I just find it surprising some of the actors that pop up in some of the older films. Plus it's always nice to know the source material that James Cameron tends to rip off for his own movies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:39 am 

Like how Avatar is a slightly better version of Return of the Jedi? Second worst movie to win an Academy Award after Gladiator.

James Cameron used to be good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:10 am 

Sea Monkey wrote:
Whoa - settle down now - I wasn't ripping on Colossus. I said it was pretty good. I just find it surprising some of the actors that pop up in some of the older films. Plus it's always nice to know the source material that James Cameron tends to rip off for his own movies.

No, you wrote that COLOSSUS "wasn't that bad" - hardly the same as a thumbs up review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:03 am 

willcail wrote:
Like how Avatar is a slightly better version of Return of the Jedi? Second worst movie to win an Academy Award after Gladiator.

James Cameron used to be good.

Avatar lost to The Hurt Locker. Worst (least deserving at least) oscar winner ever: Crash, Dances With Wolves (it beat Goodfellas!!!), A Beautiful Mind, Braveheart, or Driving Miss Daisy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:20 pm 

You're right. The Hurt Locker did win. Avatar was the least deserving film to be nominated for anything. James Cameron documentaries are good.

Colossus is a great pick. How about TROG?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next