The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:58 am 

The Incredible Hulk is coming back to TV.

This makes me all kinds of happy.

http://www.comicheronews.com/?p=13198

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:42 am 

AEinhorn wrote:
The Incredible Hulk is coming back to TV.

This makes me all kinds of happy.

http://www.comicheronews.com/?p=13198

It's good that you are happy. I have a feeling that we wouldn't like you when you are angry...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:28 am 

Have you watched those Hulk episodes lately, btw? I did, a little while ago, and I gotta say... I had forgotten how tight mens pants were back then! Bill Bixby was packing! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:32 am 

I have, actually. One of the advantages (?) of being mostly unemployed and having TiVo is I've watched all of the first two seasons and am halfway through the third.

And I loved them. So very much. Even with their forumlaic natures.

"Doctor David Banner: physician; scientist. Searching for a way to tap into the hidden strengths that all humans have. Then an accidental overdose of gamma radiation alters his body chemistry. And now when David Banner grows angry or outraged, a startling metamorphosis occurs. The creature is driven by rage and pursued by an investigative reporter. The creature is wanted for a murder he didn't commit. David Banner is believed to be dead, and he must let the world think that he is dead, until he can find a way to control the raging spirit that dwells within him."

And the closing music at the end of each episode...

I am totally fanboying out over here. You have to understand that, in addition to simply being a life-long comicbook and superhero fan (hence the website), the Hulk is the one who has always stuck with me.

My parents are good friends with the people who owned Monkey's Retreat (one of the former sponsors of the Marathons), and I basically grew up around that store. One of the owners, Ro-Z, is a big guy, and when I was little, he would read Incredible Hulk comics to me. He would then chase me around the store, bellowing "Hulk Smash Puny Human!" and I would run and squeal in delight.

I learned to read because of those comics. And then I begged, begged, begged my grandparents to let me watch The Incredible Hulk in re-runs on Saturday mornings. Which was always hard, because it was on after the cartoons, and infringing into the time when my grandfather's sports games were on. But they usually let me.

So... yeah. Big Hulk fan here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:36 am 

Since the announcement that a new Incredible Hulk series is in the works I'm also watching reruns of the old series on RTV (WCHM DT2 4.2) while eating dinner. I do hope the Heroes for Hire will make it to series as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:09 pm 

What I always found funny about the show is that my parents were really into it, especially my Dad. Now, I know that none of you know my parents and don't realize how strange that is. Let's just say for the sake of argument that they are very much NOT geeks like myself.

After a while I finally figured it out. My dad's two favorite television shows of all time are The Fugitive and The Twilight Zone. It is fairly obvious that the original Hulk series is sprinkled with elements of both.

I don't think the same format would work today. What they need to do is go the Smallville route. If they totally geek out too early in the series it will not be successful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:39 am 

AEinhorn wrote:
My parents are good friends with the people who owned Monkey's Retreat (one of the former sponsors of the Marathons), and I basically grew up around that store.

I have extremely fond memories of Monkey's Retreat. It was the first comic shop that I visited on a regular basis. It was the comic shop that was the genesis for my love of all things comics and my particular obsession with the Comico Comic Company. (LOVED the robotech comics, mage, and grendel)

AEinhorn wrote:
One of the owners, Ro-Z, is a big guy ...

I remember Ro-Z very well. I didn't know him like you do, but it's a little hard to miss a very large (and to me, at that age, rather scary looking) man who's name you thought was "Rosie".