The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:32 pm 

Joe Neff wrote:
IamJacksUserID wrote:
When I started going to these things before the internet exploded on American culture, the pre-show flyers only had 7 or 8 films listed, usually 1 or 2 of which get the boot, so we didn't know half of the program until Saturday morning. It was exciting for me, but I don't think it would work in today's world.

In my capacity as "Noted Marathon Historian" (check the program) I must point out that if by pre-internet days you mean pre-1993, then your memory has taken one too many blasts from the old laser gun. I hold in my hands (visualize it, all of you out there in cyberspaceland) the advance fliers for the first five editions of IT CAME FROM THE DREXEL NORTH, all of which have nearly the entire lineups printed and described.

The flier for the 3rd NIGHT OF THE LIVING DREXEL only listed seven or eight of the films, with promises of more premieres to come. But it's only been recently that SF Marathon handbills have hit the street with only half the lineup.

And I mean that in the best possible way, Bruce. Please don't revoke my security clearance! The pancake buffet backstage at the Gateway is too good for me to miss.

To be fair, I was exaggerating. SF6 was my first so I was not aware how accurate the previous fliers were. I have not seen a pre-show handbill since I moved out of town, so I am not sure how exactly local advertising is nowadays.
As far as I know, the marathon was not advertised over the net until the 2002 marathon at the Grand. It's exciting to check the forums every day obsessively, but the thoroughness of the information I seek also takes away some of the "mystique" that I once felt back in the early nineties. Much of the same can be said about modern movie releases.
For example, as great as SPIDERMAN 2 was, it will never match the theatrical experience of seeing THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK for the first time in a theater when I was 10 and didn't even know it was coming out. I guess a lot of it also has to do with getting older and having Rose-Colored glasses as they say.
I am enormously greatful for this website and the Drexel website allowing me to keep in touch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:40 pm 

Different folks, myself included, posted the fliers on our websites as far back as SF10. I believe that was part of the problem with MST3K that year getting pulled. But as far as the Drexel doing it, I think you are right. I know the first year I was in DC, 1999, I looked up Bruce on the OSU directory to see if he knew when the marathon would be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:43 pm 
Site Admin

For SF10 and SF11 both, I posted a "semi-official" set of web pages via my CompuServe space. They were, in essence, repeats of what was on the flyer, though SF11 also had the schedule posted in advance.

Neither of those pages announced MST:3K the movie as I recall (they didn't go up until after the "mum's the word" notice had been given), so I don't believe they were the cause of it being pulled.

For most of the years after that, the pages were managed through the Drexel's main site to varying degrees. So there has been some web presence dating back as far as 1996, it just hasn't been widely advertised or consistent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:45 am 

Dream lineup:
The Green Slime
Voyage Into Space
TerrorVision
Logan's Run
The Creeping Terror
Night of the Creeps(know Fred Dekker. Possible guest)
Phase 4
Frankenstein Meets The Space Monster(I know James Karen. Possible guest star)
Plan 9
Gojira(Godzilla)
any Japanese Starman movie
Night of the Comet
Infra-Man

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:23 am 

May I suggest either Macross: Do You Remember Love or Macross Plus: The Movie?

It is the 25th Anniversary of Macross, one of the more influential animes out there...

Also, I'd love to take in a Gamera flick this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:13 pm 

Infra-Kid wrote:
Dream lineup:
The Green Slime
Voyage Into Space
TerrorVision
Logan's Run
The Creeping Terror
Night of the Creeps(know Fred Dekker. Possible guest)
Phase 4
Frankenstein Meets The Space Monster(I know James Karen. Possible guest star)
Plan 9
Gojira(Godzilla)
any Japanese Starman movie
Night of the Comet
Infra-Man

a few decent choices, but there's no wine to go with all that cheese. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:18 pm 

hutch wrote:
May I suggest either Macross: Do You Remember Love or Macross Plus: The Movie?

It is the 25th Anniversary of Macross, one of the more influential animes out there...

Also, I'd love to take in a Gamera flick this year.

I know a lot of people dig it, but anime is just not my thing.
We have had a kaiju film every year for the past five years, I think it's time we had a marathon without a cheesy Japanese movie. With the possible exception of the original Japanese cut of Gojira.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:27 am 

Cheesy Japanese films make the world go round! While I think one is plenty, none would be a shame.

James Karen! Man, Bruce and Joe should try and book RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD for the Horror-thon and invite Karen. That would rock! The man has been in everything!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:28 am 

If anime was missing, I wouldn't miss it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:14 pm 

I second (third? fourth? fifth?) the no anime theme here. There's just so many great science fiction films that have never played a marathon or haven't played in more than a decade, that we should consider first. Anime and Star Trek are two very specific sub-genres that really only appeal to a small segment of the audience. Nothing against either of them or their fans, but I say why invite such obvious controversy and whining? The messege board has gotten a lot friendlier over the years and it would be nice to keep that trend going. (Does the drexel still do a week long anime series like they used to many years ago when I lived in Cbus?)

I'd like to see a few more action/violent/adult sci-fi from the '70s and '80s than we've had in a while. Westworld was great last year, so something along those lines along with 12 Monkeys and Robocop (are you listening Bruce? Jeff?) would be great. I've never been a fan of movies from last year playing, but I'm starting to accept the inevitable. If we have to play something from last year, I'd still endorse Slither. Sounds like everyone in Boston loved it, even those that had their arms crossed beforehand. I love the movie and could probably watch it to death like Evil Dead 2 in high school.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:55 pm 

I 6th (7th, 8th and 9th) the movement, not a huge fan of Anime although I would like to see HEAVY METAL on the big screen (technically it is Sci-Fi you know). I saw Slither when it was first released and own the DVD and have watched it a couple times but I think it would play very well to the SCI-FI Marathon crowd even though it's a recent film.

I just got back from Disney World and I have to tell ya after spending a couple days in Tomrrow Land I am pumped more than ever for this years Marathon!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:23 pm 

Another Fun Film would be DEATH MACHINE with :

Bradd Dourif as Jack Dante
William Hootkins as John Carpenter
John Sharian as Sam Raimi
Richard Brake as Scott Ridley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:46 pm 

Here is my choices:

Superman II Donner's Cut

The Transformers the movie (animated)